I want to Buy NWN but...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

I want to Buy NWN but...

The reviews get me into wanting to buy the game but many people said It is boring What should I do? It Worth The Money???. I know I have Extra Money now But... What do I Do
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:13 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

This question was asked many times already. Very simple from my point of view:

NWN's single player campaign is boring (apparently up until chapter 3) and I never actually made it past chapter 2 myself.

NWN's true appeal and charm lies in it's multi-player portion.

So, if you plan on playing online, it's a good bet that you'll enjoy the game (if you find a good community to play with as well). There, that's all you need to consider. Don't buy it for the single player campaign unless you'll stick through the first coupld of chapter which tend to be long and dull...
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:31 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

ANd does it use Keyboard or Like Diablo II the Mouse???
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:36 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by Gothic Freak
ANd does it use Keyboard or Like Diablo II the Mouse???
Mostly the mouse.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:09 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

Ok I'm not going to buy it. ANd One more question does Baldur's gate uses mouse too???
Post Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:29 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Yes.
Post Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:21 am
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

WWWWWWHHHYYYYYYYY ? It only happens to me I'm about to finish Grand Theft Auto 3 and does not have an RPG game To Buy
Post Fri Oct 04, 2002 8:22 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

OK tomorrow (Saturday) I will buy Baldur's Gate The First one is at 24.99 with the expansion. Good??? No????
Post Sat Oct 05, 2002 3:40 am
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

yeah BG1 is fun, and for 25 dollars with the expansion, a good deal also. and of course if you like the first one, then move on to the second one!!!
Post Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:05 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Youre missing out of you dont buy NWN. The beauty of this title is not so much in one facet, but the many facets of it. I like the singleplayer campaign, especially if you use the camera hacks that enable you to go FPS view with it. There is tons of user made content. The graphics are gorgeous, cannot dispute that. If its too easy, crank up the difficulty, its that simple. Play user made modules, last I checked, there was like 1500 posted. Im working on 2 diffrent ones now myself. Therein lies another glorious facet of this game. The toolset. Its mostly drag and drop, and there are wizards for almost everything, even scripting. If you have dreamed of making your own RPG, this is the best thing on the market for doing it.

You can customize all weapons, monsters, Npcs, whatever in the game. Create your own clothes, own armor, own weapons, own monsters, with any attributes or spells from the game. And thats all without ANY scripting needed. You want to get more in-depth and do some quests and missions and stuff, thats possible too. You dont even have to know scripting really, just know where the scripts go in your module. Open up the official campaign in the editor and copy official Bioware scripts right out of the singleplayer game. I have text files of scripts copied, whenever i need a certain script, i open the text file and do a search. Copy the script. Paste it where its needed. Viola, scripting done. Im not satisfied with that tho, of course, I personally want to know how to script. So I bought the official worldbuilders guide and visit the umpteen official and user sites and forums on scripting.I even bought a book on C programming. I didnt know ANYTHING about scripting when i began this adventure, now I feel im ok at it. What i dont know, i copy and fill in the blanks. Im learning C programming language, just from editing in the toolset! This is valuable knowledge, yes? This is fun, yes? Glorious to watch your little npc and monster pets act like you want them to? I think so, and if this interests you as well, jump in, the water's fine, and its only getting warmer as more patches and content are released.

From the Dm level. "screw you, Sam. I just want to Dm a game" Well, get a couple of your freinds, if'n you got some, and host a game. Play God, take them on an adventure. This is like pen and paper, baby, just a tad more violent. And visual. Or maybe not, go for pure RPG, take control of every NPC they talk to, award XP for reciting a brilliant poem or feeding a hungry homeless Npc. Whatever floats yer boat. Im tellin ya, if you are creative, this is the game for you. But if youre not, I think it still is. I like the singleplayer game, and with all the module and content being released, its possible you never have to play the SP campaign and you play the death outta the game. Without editing nary a pixel.

P.s- there are a few diffrent control schemes, mostly mouse and keyboard. I use like 90% keyboard, 10% mouse. keyboard for movement and camera, and mouse for selecting things and people and some full 180 turns and stuff. WASD on movement, Q and A for rotate cam left n right.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:13 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Yeah. What xSamhainx said.

Is there any reason you don't like using a mouse? All games (Except Gothic) that I can think of offhand have heavy mouse usage.

NWN has a lot of hotkeys, though. The only thing you need a mouse for is to select a target. Everything else can be done with the keyboard (and selecting an enemy might be able to be as well but I can't think of a way right now).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Oct 05, 2002 4:44 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

One thing i really like about the keyboard scheme is that they use the ctrl and shift keys for 2 more alternate quickbars thing. One whole bar is offensive spells, the next is defensive spells and minion commands, and the next one is wildcard stuff like stone of recall, stoneskin, ghostly visage,potions, and summon undead. I never find myself searching for a spell its all right there.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Oct 05, 2002 7:49 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

Ok I will try to play game that uses mouse.
Post Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:36 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Don't worry, the controls in NWN are easy to use, you'll do fine.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:15 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

I'll follow your advise Gig.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:00 pm