21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 19

Author Thread
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

would you buy IWD2?

I heard that IWD2 will be out on stores today (Wednesday August 28th 2002). But frankly i found myself have no urge to buy it immediately. The recent two or three reviewer gaves it score little above 80% - a decent game. Since i already played IWD1 and it expansion pack, it left not much encouragements for me to buy IWD2 - as some reviewers commented with "been there, done that" sentiment. The starting of the IWD2' story also feel less exciting and arousing for me; i am tired with starting premise that sound like in NWN SP campaign - some evil is threatening and some hero/heroine come forward to seeks honour or rewards, etc etc. Isn't IWD1 start with that same premises? (at least almost same?).

Also, here is J.E. Sawyer (lead designer) honest comments (from IWD2 forums):

"I'm trying to honestly address potential criticism of the game. If you loathe any apparent seams between designers (refer to different feels among different chapters), you may not want this game. If you like a non-linear story, you also might not want this game. If you need attacks of opportunity in a 3E D&D game before you accept it as "legit", you also might not want to buy this game."

Well, if not because there will be a lots of new CRPGs with more refreshing game worlds, background stories, gameplay - such Gothic 2, Divine Divinity, Sea Dogs 2, Arx Fatalis, and some "800 pounds" FPS games (NOLF2, Unreal2, etc), then i surely still go out to buy IWD2...
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:30 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I'll certainly be buying it.

I am, admittedly, both a fan of previous IE games and D&D in particular but I'm quite excited about it.

And I think JE Sawyer was just being honest - something devs don't do very often. Icewind is/was a linear hack & slash dungeon crawl and they've always been clear about this.

NWN promised a SP campaign the equal of anything else - and fell a little short. Icewind promises a classic D&D dungeon crawl - and it'll deliver with style.

Edit - both Arx and Divine Divinity have recieved reviews in the low 80's (I'm not being critical); I think this is actually a *good* score. It's much harder to keep everyone happy with the complexity of an RPG than, say, a shooter.
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:40 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

I'll definately buy it. I'll have to, as I gave my review version to EverythinXen
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:00 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

No sale here... Unfortunately I am not a huge fan of hack fests By all accounts this will be it, although a hack fest in 3E certainly sounds like fun for a few hours, I don't think I would stay interested for the whole length of it, so I won't invest my money on it. If NWN wouldn't have held my interest as long as it has up until now perhaps I would have looked into it, but as it stand now I am not interested.
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:57 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I’ll buy it, but I’ll wait until it goes on sale.
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:28 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Haven't seen hide nor hair of it as of yet... perhaps it came in the mail this morning. But this is Canada... deliver a package on time? What?

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:33 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I'm in a wait and see mood with this one. I'll probably get it. One day.
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:11 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Those who intend to buy it, check our offer

http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php#11217
Post Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:05 am
MtnDwarf
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Im definatley buying it. Ive been waiting for a baldurs gate type game with the 3rd edition rules for a long time. And for the record sure icewind dale was no plainscape torment(which I just finished playing and was absolutely blown away) it is a true hack and slash. Even though its a hack and slash game its by far not a diablo type game. The story in icewind dale was good and interesting. It wasnt anything like baldurs gate or anywere near plainscape torment but I liked it.

Though the main reason why Im sooo excited is becouse my computer cant handle any other RPGs right now(thats why I went back and played the fallout and plainscape torment games) but I also think even if I could play the other games I still think I would be buying icewind dale due to the 3rd edition rules and in my opinion no other RPGs today can compare to the debth (though a little under the surface if your willing to look) of the baldurs gate style games.

PS. Sorry but in any other situation I would take up your great offer but I already through down ten bucks on a pre-order at babages(dont ask me why I didnt think it would sell out)
Post Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:32 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Icewind Dale 2 is a good game! I had some troubles in the beginning, but yesterday i sat up to 02:00 playing, and yes, i had to get up at 07:00. That was 2 hours ago. *yawns* stupid school!

I like the new barbarian voice! When my character is hit, he screams "enough!", and when you give an "order" he says: "easy as... erm... something."

My style in Icewind Dale is strange, i only play with two characters. I had to level them up a bit, and then re-import them so that they would be powerfull enough, both of them are barbarians, one is lvl 7 and one lvl 9. (or something)
Post Mon Sep 02, 2002 8:25 am
Gothmog
Village Leader
Village Leader

I was going to wait but RGPDOT's offer tempted me.Now I just need to find time to play it.
Post Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:36 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I am STILL waiting for the reviewer copy.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Sep 08, 2002 4:25 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I bought it in Southern California while I was on vacation. Will, play it later this year. Hopefully, it is better that Icewind Dale I.
Post Sun Sep 08, 2002 4:30 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

gotta love Icewind Dale

I absolutely loved Icewind Dale and Heart of Winter. Even though I enjoy non-linear games a lot more (like Morrowind), I am a warrior. I like battle. If I was a highlander or a knight or a cavalier in the crusades, I would be one of those guys who loves battle, who fights with the sword and challenges himself to become the best warrior in the militia. Nothing excites me more than battle, not even women (though that one is a close second). I guess its in my English/French blood or something. Anyways, I am definately going to buy IWD2. I am very excited about it because I enjoyed the first one so much. I think I have played IWD1 about 9 times most of the way through (including in Heart of Fury mode), and the only reason I dont continue doing that is because I am playing an epic quest with ALL of the Baldurs Gate series. That is: BG, TotSC, BG2, and Throne of Bhaal. That has got to be hundreds of hours of playtime (I am like into the 10th hour now). I am so lucky to be able to spend ALL my time playing games. Just recently my game I was making got a publisher, and then I decided not to make it at all. Reason is because I cant handle the stress with my brain disease. Kinda sad. Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Of course I will be buying it from this site! I have been around this site for like a year now and I think it is the BEST website on the entire Internet. Really. It is. So I will be buying Icewind Dale 2 from this site in about two months or so, after I get my credit card payed off Also, just because its linear doesnt mean its less exciting. I am very picky when it comes to games, I only play the best quality games out there, and I expect that IWD2 is a very quality hack through the dungeon. LETS RUMBLE!

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Sun Sep 08, 2002 4:47 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
I am STILL waiting for the reviewer copy.

"The waiting is the hardest part..."
Post Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:08 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next