View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
brozz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

the h*ll with it .. Akbaa can have Arx

\\ Possible Minor Spoiler //

I have just been destoyed by Akbaa ... within a matter of seconds!! I've tried to beat him at least six times, and everytime, the same thing happens. He cast a life-drain spell on me that seems to draw me in and kills me in a matter of seconds. I charater is at level ten, and all my stats are very high, I have the meateor sword and all the other quest items I needed to find, but it doesn't seem to matter, I am no match for Akbaa.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know asap, because as it stands right now Akbaa can have Arx, I'm going back to Morrowind.

(sigh) Defeat sucks!!
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:48 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

What's your character like?

[edit]: forgot to include a warning...

SPOILERS!

[/edit]

Here's how I did it:
With a super mage (with fair/average fighting skills), I used the slow time spell and kept a finger hovering over the mana potion key - then all I did was move side-to-side, conitnually guzzling mana potions to keep the spell going and whacking Akbaa with the meteor sabre til he died (which happened just after I ran out of mana potions). His attacks are easy to dodge when he's slowed, and if you trigger the spell as soon as you regain control after the cutscene, and then get straight in to melee range (unnatural for a mage, I know), he seems less llikely to cast his life-draining tractor beam or summon demons. Before you start, make sure you are carrying every single mana and health potion you can find in the whole of Arx!

As a sneaky archer, I thought it was going to be impossible, but it turned out to be the easiest way. You just need lots of patience. Queue up some invisibility spells, put out all the torches in the room, then smack the high priest to get the ball rolling. After the cutscene, immediately cast invisibility and leg it into the shadows at either side of the hall. If you do it quickly enough, Akbaa will not summon a demon. If he does, it's a pain, but if you can get rid of it and get hidden quickly, you'll be OK. Akbaa will probably mill about a bit looking for you, but if your stealth skill is good and you stay in darkness (hide behind pillars when he gets really close), he won't see you. Wait til he heads back toward his starting point (preferrably allow him to get a long way away) then fire an arrow into his eye/ear/nose/throat (you should poison it too, for good measure ). Forget about the meteor weapon, you don't need it once Akbaa is manifest. After each hit, he'll come back to try and find you, and he cheats - even if you are perfectly concealed, he will know where you are if you shoot him twice in rapid succession - it takes a lot of patience, because he moves very slowly, but you have to wait til he's heading back home before every shot. If you get impatient, he'll spot you and probably summon a demon which can be very tricky for this type of character to deal with. So don't be impatient, and don't get spotted. If he's backing you into a corner and you are running out of shadows to hide in, fire up an invisibility spell and sprint to the other side of the hall, where the whole process can be repeated. Try not to run too close to him, but you can still get away with it even if he hears you. This method is for cautious and clinical players, and can be done without any mana or health potions - but you'll need tons of arrows. And if you have Lord Inut's bow, I think you can still use it stealthily (somehow the trail of a flaming arrow doesn't give your position away - wierd, eh? )

For a pure meathead fighter: one finger on the left mouse button, one on the health potion key; press, hold and release as appropriate. Turning with the mouse may be required if a demon appears, but you probably don't need to run around much. That's it. Bring many, many health potions just in case, but a true tank with the meteor 2-hander and an Ylside suit should be able to kill him pretty quickly. You've probably got a meagre mana pool and casting ability - three heal spells are probably most useful, but you could try something more ambitious if you are capable, like a mana drain, speed boost, slow time or even a fire field (bring along plenty of mana potions for prolonging spell effects, where appropriate).

Bizarre fact: you can trigger the final battle without using the meteor sword at all. Summon a zombie next to the transfixed high priest, and let him smack the guy over the head a few times (meanwhile, you could hide, write your name in runes, or prepare a pie). Eventually the cutscene will trigger, even though supposedly only the meteor sword could achieve this. Perhaps the zombie has koltk powder under his fingernails. I think you still need to build the meteor weapon in order to trigger the final story events, but you can sell it or throw it away as soon as it's done and still finish the game.

Another possibility for those with good mage skills: I never tried this against Akbaa, but I did use it against the dragon and it was incredibly effective. Cast life drain and stand close to your opponent (continually whacking them with a weapon when not casting spells would be helpful), and when your mana runs out, cast mana drain. You'll probably now start taking hits, so when your mana pool is full again, or when you are nearly dead (whichever comes first), switch back to life drain (no, you can't have them both active at once ). It can be tricky to get the timing right, especially if your foe can deal lots of damage in a single hit, but with practice you should be able to switch back and forth between the two and steadily drain your enemy's life and mana til they die. can't imagine it working very well against Ylsides though, and I wouldn't be surprised if Akbaa has some sneaky way of avoiding it (although the stories about Krahoz and Zohark seemed to hint at this kind of tactic).

Last edited by piln on Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:42 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Lets make it a spoiler of sorts.
Spoiler:
There are a ton of threads about killing this guy, but this will be one more just for you. Stay away from him. Hit him that one time when you first go in to start the sequence but after that run for the sides, get out a bow and load up fireballs or whatever you have that is the best in that area, and the be ready to switch back to sword unless you have Inuits Bow, to kill his little demons. Get to the highest part of the room you can find and levitate over him and start shooting. After all the work you did go get the sword, it turns out you really don't need it to kill the guy. Just stay away from him until he starts to look sick and then run in for the kill if you want. You can tell. Hope this helps.
[/spoiler]
Mark Twain
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:45 am
brozz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

/// Possible Spoilers Below \\\\

Thanx for the info. I'm going to keep trying
I was really disappointed to see how ineffective the Meteor Sword was in the final battle, I was hoping for an a** kicking weapon to finish off Akbaa, but it just didn't happen. I also took Lord Inuts sword, instead of his bow (earlier in the game) and I think that was a big mistake. As was building a character that relied heavily on sword melee and less on magic. If I don't beat Akbaa in a few more tries I'm going to replay the game with a stealthy/mage character (not that I mind, I think Arx has excellent replay value). Thanx again fellow Arx fans ..... I'm sure I'll be posting again.
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:21 pm
tygorn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I may have been lucky but I beat him on my 2nd try. I believe I started off with some fireballs to soften him up then I managed to back him up against the door and just kept hitting him. I went through quite a few health potions but I had been saving them so I had plenty. My second attempt went better I think because I stayed close to him which seemed to keep him from summoning demons.

***Possible Spoiler***
Question: Did anyone else notice the first room on the right in the bunker has a chest that respawns health potions, enchant scrolls and candles everytime you enter the bunker? Wasn't sure if something was wrong with my game or if this was common.
Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:39 am
julien roby@arkane studio
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

>>Tygorn: This is normal:)

This was done to be sure you always find a candle to put in the skull (in Iserbius Bedroom)

-Julien
Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:17 am