Members
Usergroups
THE ONLY WAY TO STEAL!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Ilef

THE ONLY WAY TO STEAL!!

I know that many of you are getting frustrated beacuse their characters with 100 stealth and security can never steal a damn thing.

But I discovered TWO ways to steal from the shop... and without getting attacked or reported!

The first one is to cast on yourself any invisibility spell and then, in stealth mode, take an object. You'll become visible but you won't get attacked! I don't tink is a bug... After all, how can someone see that someone invisible is stealing their staf? But it doesn't work with objects that need two actions to be taken, such as books (unless you're REALLY far away, in both X Y and Z, from the vendors or guard).

The second one is stealing from containers. This is pretty easy: make sure no npc is watching you or is nearby, and then with your lockpicks (if necessary) open the containers and steal from there. If you were being watched, not only you'll be reported for lockpicking, but also you'll be attacked if you steal something from the containers... This doesn't work with special containers such as mage guild supply chest.

I hope someone will find these method useful...
Post Tue May 28, 2002 12:02 pm

HairySammoth

Thieving

Hell, I dunno - I'm head of the Morag Tong and the Thieves Guild now, and have nearly got 100 in Sneak and security, but I haven't had any trouble at all stealing stuff for ages. I use a combination of 100% Chameleon (which doesn't stop working when you perform an action) and/or running around then sneaking back to get the shopkeepers looking in the wrong direction if something seems particularly tough to steal. Usually, though, I can have just about anything away just by using the sneak button - I emptied out Ghostgate completely like this. You would have thought they would have noticed a Khajit wandering off with their entire supply of glass and indoril armour!
Post Tue May 28, 2002 12:10 pm

Ilef

I could never get anything without becoming invisible... Perhaps 42 is too low.... Well then, time for training
Post Tue May 28, 2002 12:38 pm

Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

I have 100 in sneak and 66 in Security and I NEVER have any problems shoplifting, or opening locked chests in shops WITHOUT using any chameleon or invisibility spells. As long as I'm sneaking and that the sneaking icon is there, I can steal anything I want without a hitch. I don'T really understand what you guys are talking about... When you have 100 in sneak you can pretty much sneak right past someone right in front of their nose without being detected. What is your agility at, by the way? Maybe that's the problem?

What I DO have problems at is pickpocketing though... it works maybe 40% of the time, even with a sneak at 100. Someone suggested that luck might play into it, and mine is WAY low! around 44
Post Tue May 28, 2002 1:29 pm
rascalmanny

steal

Yea, I just created a mage person and I use invisibility to steal all the time. I really don't want to steal but I want MONEY. And since this is a mage I want to get as much training as I can get.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 1:52 pm

I've 67 agility...

I've read in these pages of someone who, with 100 sneak, couldn't steal anything. Perhaps because he had a low security...
Post Tue May 28, 2002 2:12 pm

freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

Security doesn't matter when you are trying to steal something unless you are opening a chest. For that a large security skill is not that big of a deal anyways because you can get a master lockpick and open just about anything you want with no problem. I have 100 in sneak and stealing is real easy. I have noticed that there is really nothing for me to steal anymore since the stuff out for us I have already so stealing just isn't what it used to be. There should be a store out there with some super uber stuff and like a ton of guards watching so that a real thief can test his skill.

=Member of the Worshippers of The Written Word, The Nonflamers' Guild, The RPGdot Warriors, The Philosophers' Circle=

"Don't go away mad...just go away!"
Post Tue May 28, 2002 2:21 pm
maddog0606
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Invisibility doesn't always work. I've been caught during the split second between taking the item and invisibility going away because I've performed an action while invisible. I guess they see me hiding the item under my shirt.

I prefer the magic way of taking things that are not nailed down, casting a spell to unlock a 100 lock (don't always have them locksplitter scrolls) and then using telekinesis to open traped stuff. Or hide behind pillars and use telekinesis to pinch items. Who needs to jump when I can just levitate to where I want to go.

The only time I pickpocket is when I'm having trouble taunting somebody who I need to assassinate.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 3:04 pm
Simeon Tregarth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Your security skill may not be important for stealing items off a shelf but it definitely is the controlling factor when picking someone's pocket! If you want to be successful at picking pockets you will need both a high sneak skill and a high security skill.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 3:27 pm