Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Getting Skins,teeth, and claw skills a waste of money?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
wysiwyg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I've quickly discovered that before long none of the "vendors" in the old camp has any ore left to trade with me. The money spent on skills just disappears from the economy unless that person also sells goods.

Is spending money being trained to retrieve teeth, claws, and skins a waste? Since you can't trade with the guy who trains you that money is forever gone from the world unless you rob him.

[ This Message was edited by: wysiwyg on 2001-12-05 11:27 ]
Post Sun Dec 02, 2001 3:44 pm
Zan
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You don't really need those skills.It does add some fun and story to the game though,while only taking some skill points and ore.The meat is the main thing to gain.With all the ore you can gain from making swords,the skill points might be better spent elsewhere.
Post Sun Dec 02, 2001 7:39 pm
Sveinung
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

You can earn some extra money ny learning the skins, teeth and claws skills, especially
if you want to kill many monsters. The only downside is that you have to use some skillpoints and give some ore to get the skills.

[ This Message was edited by: Sveinung on 2001-12-02 16:33 ]
Post Sun Dec 02, 2001 10:32 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hhhmmm... Yes Sven, we know.

The worst things that you can spend your skill points on:

(worst)
1. Hunting skills
2. Acrobatics
3. Pickpocketing
4. Mana

Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 4:21 am

What's so bad about acrobatics?
Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:14 pm

wysiwyg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I guess the only uses for acrobatics is jumping higher and being able to fall farther without getting hurt.

Anyone know of anything else?
Post Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:59 am
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I must disagree on the hunting skills being useless…I have fond them to be one of the most important skills to learn. Being a master hunter using my Oak bow with dexterity in the 40s has enabled me to sneak to high ground and pick off the Orks. Their dumb shits, fearless but dumb. I think the only ones dumber are the goblins. But what I really like is that the arrows are Hunter/Seekers. If your highlighted opponent is behind you, the arrow will do a 180 and strike. I realize that it is just poor game physics, but fun to watch.

Sylvio
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:28 pm
DeadAgain
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That's a bow skill not a skinning/getting claw skills - the value of the skins/claws is pretty lame but I find range weapons far superior to 1/2 handed weapons, but maybe that because I don't like gettting killed
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 4:19 pm
wysiwyg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

On acrobatics...

I went ahead and trained in acrobatics and now I can make dive and roll moves and jump down from very high locations without being injured. It doesn't look like you can particularly jump higher but you can jump over flat obstacles or pits.

You can jump forward and come up swinging which is pretty neat
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 4:47 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

On 2001-12-05 10:19, DeadAgain wrote:
That's a bow skill not a skinning/getting claw skills - the value of the skins/claws is pretty lame but I find range weapons far superior to 1/2 handed weapons, but maybe that because I don't like gettting killed

My mistake...

Sylvio
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 5:18 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

You don't need acrobatics to fall and take no damage.

Just hold down your SIDESTEP button. It's a very common bug.
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 7:47 pm
Punisher_77
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hunting skinning is useful. You can trade the skins for other stuff than ore..
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:17 pm
Khalistro
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

As for role playing value I think getting skins/claws/teeth/fur is very rewarding. You are just thrown into a prison area, which has its own society developped, and ore=money=power. So naturally you would want to try to gain as much ore at the beginning of the game as possible. By investing four meager skillpoints and about 300 ore, which is a lot at the beginning, you'll be able to skin and loot monsters for their skins/claws/teeth/fur. Which will mostly net you about a minimum of 5 ore per item. Some monsters even give you fur AND teeth, so worst case scenario you'll have to kill 300/5=60 monsters to get your investment out of it. Quite frankly I don't think thats too much of an investment. Although for money making purposes in the beginning, I think cooking meat and selling it will net you more money.

*********Possible SPOILER*******************
End of post if you don't want to read on

I just took Dusty "out hunting, and I'm a quarter down the map, and I went from level 2 to 5 now, and I got TONS of teeth, claws and skins already. Not to mention the insane amount of meat I cut from those dead bodies.

Khalistro
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 10:05 am
Zan
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

If you are playing the game for the first time take the skinning skills.They add more to the life of the convict.If you are playing Gothic a second time don't take the skinning skills.Instead save those skill points and put them into your stats.Make a lot of swords and you will never worry about ore.There is 20 raw steel in the smith's chest.The combo is rrlrll.This is enough to get a good start.I would rather want my character to have a high str/dex than the skinning skills.
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 5:14 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Just go for beating up Hugo 10K worth of blades...You be set for life.

Sylvio
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 7:57 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next