Gothic 2: post your first impression here
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Regarding the "excruciating" wait for Gothic 2 for us in the US:

I figure its some sort of karmic justice for all those times Europeans have had to wait for games we got right away in the U.S.!!!

Now the tables are turned. We're pining away for this potential giant: Gothic 2.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:50 pm
Green Chili
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by elkston
Regarding the "excruciating" wait for Gothic 2 for us in the US:

I figure its some sort of karmic justice for all those times Europeans have had to wait for games we got right away in the U.S.!!!

Nope - it's just a little retaliation for the arrogance of Mr. Bush who denied to congratulate the re-elected German government
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:16 am
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

LOL. Could have something to do with that little matter of comparing him to Hitler.

I'm kinda wondering how big this game is. With the big ships at the habour, and the amount of landscape you have to explore at the beginning, this could be a real epic adventure. Just a pity that I'll be away from my PC for a month.

The only problem for me so far in this game, and it's a problem that seems to plague RPGs, is the combat. Considering how good I am at swordplay, I was kinda expecting a little more then swinging the sword wildly from side to side. Morrowind had the same problem. Why can't designers make warriors a wee bit more interesting. I remember an old RPG called Revelant (or something like that) where wou would be given different moves each level you advanced. It seems a bit sad that Wizards always have a humongous range of choices, while we poor warriors merely act as glorified woodcutters. Hopefully there will be a supersword, like Jay's Sword in Morrowind (A truly epic weapon, selfcrafted) where all around me are consumed in fire and Ice while I laugh manicly.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:06 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Didnīt you use combo attacks in Gothic 1?
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:48 pm
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

What I'm talking about is the type of selection you have in Diablo. Sweep attacks, exta abilities adding to damage, leaps of destruction, using shields to reflect arrows, beserking screams, etc. Give the warrior the same type of selection the mage has. I don't mean just Gothic, but all 3d RPGs. Make him look cool dealing death, a Conan or a Slaine.

And I miss Acrobatics. Not mush use, but it looked funny.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:31 pm
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

If it's because the Germans aren't sweet on Bush, then why do the ret of the non German speaking World having to wait? Damn the politicians!
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:34 pm
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I don't think Bush has too many fans outside America, with the notable exception of Britain.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:50 pm
Incendiary Lemon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Bush is the least popular american president in modern British History.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:29 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I'd just like to point out that most of us Americans didn't vote for him either. Gore won the popular vote. (Though sadly based on the recent congressional elections he probably would have done a lot better this year... sigh...)
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:24 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

OH YEAH!

I can't believe that my loser video card can run gothic 2 somewhat smoother that gothic 1 when I lower the resolution.

I'm so relieved.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:23 am
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I just fired up the demo tonight and noticed two new things! First, the hero drips blood when he has low health(if you enable gore=3, which I didn't do in G1, so it might have been there too). Second, I said something the bandit didn't like so he started chasing me. I ran a bit past the wolf, and hopped up on a raised bit of land to escape. I think the wolf stayed at the bottom, but the bandit kept running around the ledge out of sight. I thought I was safe, but a few seconds later, the bandit came around from the other side and killed me. He didn't give up and found another way up to where I was! Excellent!
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:40 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

I LOVE the combat, it's FAR more exciting than that of Morrowind's.
I found myslef killed by the bandit and drago a couple of times but after some reloading, I managed to bash'em .

the farmer guy is cool, he killed a couple of wolves that I brought to him
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:33 am
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I like the way the hero follows the target automatically. When fighting more than one creature, one will come behind you and attack while you trying to fight the one in front. Then when you die, the wolves eat you!
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:56 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Jung, the blood thing was in Gothic I already .
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:00 pm
Stich
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hello,

here are my experiences with Gothic 2.

I'm playing it now for ~25h and all I can say: It's the best computer game I ever played and - like a PC mag mentioned - it will be hard to beat.

I never felt an atmosphere in a Computer Game like in Gothic2 (except GI ).

The graphik is amazing, and the world so full of life. Every mag who reviews this game is totaly fascinated an d G2 gets only bestnotes.

I would like to write more about the game, but it's better you don't know to much of the story when it arrives to your country

The game is nearly 'bug free' but needs good and fast Hardware. Minimum is 256MB Ram, highly recommended is 512MB!!

I use an Athlon 1600XP CPU , GeForce4 Ti4200, 512MB and play it with 1280x960. Outside the town its very smooth - in the town the framerate decreases but its playable.
So , know i have to go back to 'the other world

bye, Stich
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:27 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next