Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Dragon Hunt
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

What level were you on the dragon hunt (NOTR only)
Levels 20-25
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Levels 26-30
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Levels 31-35
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Levels 36-40
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Levels 41+
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I cheated and beat the entire game with Mr. Item
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

Author Thread
Arexen
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Dragon Hunt

Hey all,

My character is currently level 35 with 120 str and 62% 1h and 64% 2h (couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to do ) and 32 LP currently leftover. I defeated the Swamp Dragon without much trouble at all (thanks to Cipher and Rod). However, I cannot defeat the Stone Dragon at all. I attack him and get his health down a ways, but then he just sits there shooting flame at me and I fly back every time I approach him until he regenerates.

Now, I am quite an experienced Gothic player. My character has entered battles with 5 Orcs and an Elite and come out victorious, but I cannot take out this dragon. Perhaps a strategic idea I havent learned or a spell or simply more training (?) is needed. Any input would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Arexen

P.S. Also, if there are other NPCs who help you defeat dragons, I'd appreciate the pointer. Biff is, unsurprisingly, pretty cowardly.
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:50 am
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Well, I have a lot of opinions about the Dragons (in G2 and NotR), but I'm not sure anyone wants to hear them. Here goes anyway:

1. If you use a bow or crossbow, the Dragons are too easy to kill. They are somewhat better in NotR (now that they regenerate health, slowly), but still too easy. I've sworn off using bows/crossbows on Dragons in all future replays because of this.

2. Also, my style of play (do as absolutely much as you can in each chapter before moving on), means that that I have pretty high level by chapter 4 and have very little problem with the Dragons. I have more trouble wiping out all the Orcs than killing off the Dragons.

3. When I want someone to distract a Dragon while I attack it, I often use the NPC Biff. He always waits away from the Dragon while you talk with it, but runs right in to attack when you finish talking. If not, try drawing the Dragon closer to him and then he will attack.

4. You can also use summoned creatures to help distract the Dragons while you attack. Golems work fairly well and Demons can actually kill the Dragons for you while you sit back and watch.

5. You can often dodge the flame attack if you can twitch on the keys fast enough. Then move in really close and try to hit from behind as much as you can (same tactic you can use on Trolls). If you can hit it enough times in a row, it will go down.

6. If you just have the Eye of Innos in your inventory, and not actually wearing it, it still works fine for forcing the Dragons to talk, but allows you to wear another amulet that helps protect you from fire. Combine that with other flame protection items and armor and you can make yourself almost invulnerable to Dragon fire.

That's it. Let us know how you do.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:04 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I would go for either number 3 or 4.

Use Biff ( ) or a summon as a shield. The dragon will be busy attacking the summon and you can easily kill it.
If you summon a demon (almost invulnerable to fire) or two golems you can even get a cup of tea down stairs, because they won't need your help.
You can find at merchants like Ignaz and Gorax. You've probably found some already too.
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:53 pm
Arexen
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for the tips.

While I was waiting I ran around the valley and gained a couple levels killing things off. I used the LP to get my str up to 137. I also ran back to Khorinis and grabbed a few spell scrolls. I even grabbed a few summon spells so I guess I'm all prepared for the dragons now.

One thing I noticed is that one handed weapons and two handed weapons are good for different situations. For example, when facing a group of Orcs, 1 handed is much better because your able to attack and retreat much faster and avoid more attacks. But two handed weapons let you bring em down faster if your attacking 1 enemy. SO I'll be using my consecrated 2 handed sword against the dragons and my El Bastardo against the Orcs (and lizard men)

Arexen
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:16 pm
Arexen
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

OK

So with the help of demons, golems, and my upped strength, I've killed all the dragons. Now for a few last questions: the dragon blood and dragon scales. Do I have a use for them at all or can I sell them to the smiths? Also, on the side, can my consecrated sword get better or is the first consecration the only time it gets improved?

Thanks,

Arexen
Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:02 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Excellent! Good work on the dragons.

For a Paladin, the dragon blood and scales are useless. You can sell them. They are only useful to Mercenaries for getting better armor made and for making improved ore weapons.

You get the chance to improve your holy blade in a later chapter.

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:24 am
Arexen
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks dude

So Paladins never get the chance to learn to forge ore blades? Actually I learned to forge an Ore Longsword as a Paladin, I think from Jan. Not sure though. But thats all I learned, he wouldnt offer any other types.
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:41 am
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

The merc weapons I'm referring to are the "improved" ore weapons Bennet will teach you to make of you are Merc/Dragon Hunter. They involve the use of Dragons Blood.

They are nice weapons, but your improved holy sword will be pretty nice, too.

Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:17 am