Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
They're changing the controls for G2.......NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread

Just have them both

I dont see why the developers couldnt put an option into the game to choose what kind of control method you want to use? Personally, I think the Gothic controls were good, but maybe they could make it even better.
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:37 am

Moonslash
Celestial Guardian
Celestial Guardian

At least they allow you to create custom keys for different functions.

Things are neither completely bright nor dark.

Do you go right? Or do you go left? A simple decision, yes? No ambiguities. Only the dream of the path not taken! And so one might stand in this place and contemplate for a long while. What will I miss if I go left? What will I lose if I go right? And in my indecision, have I chosen a worse fate?
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:39 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well in one way it is good that they change the controls cos those people who download the demo and trying to play the game dont know how to pick up things or do some attacking or whatever shjit . the control changing will sure get some more Game Buyers but in other way all those people who allready know how to control all shjit will be pretty hard and sad cos those controls make Gothic II allready a different game. Better or worse
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:14 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

Re: Just have them both

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
I dont see why the developers couldnt put an option into the game to choose what kind of control method you want to use? Personally, I think the Gothic controls were good, but maybe they could make it even better.

Many (more important) things to do. If there is time to re-implement the old scheme _safely_ it will be done.

- nico
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:35 pm

There was never anything bad about the controls in Gothic. It was the documentation that was bad.
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:30 pm

[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

Agree,

but even if the old controls are consistent, good for alternate periphery, and (ok you got the point)... it takes too long for an new player (who are known to never ever reading the docs) to figure it out.
The key question is: why you have to press [Action+Forward] if there is only one action possible -- so why not simply [Action].
One side effect are better configurable controls (you can map mouse/joy/pad buttons yourself now).

- nico
Post Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:45 pm
Moonslash
Celestial Guardian
Celestial Guardian

quote:
Originally posted by NicoDE
The key question is: why you have to press [Action+Forward] if there is only one action possible -- so why not simply [Action].

I think the reason to this is that The developer wants the player to make sure that the proper target is selected before taking actions, preventing errors. This [Action+Forward] has an advantage though. Think about the time when you try to get the Orcish Figure in G1. Have the telekinesis spell ready. Highlight the figure using the action key. Hold it, and you can eventually back away from it without the name disappearing. This way you can get the item with the maximum spell range. If there is only the action key, you won't be able to do that.

Things are neither completely bright nor dark.

Do you go right? Or do you go left? A simple decision, yes? No ambiguities. Only the dream of the path not taken! And so one might stand in this place and contemplate for a long while. What will I miss if I go left? What will I lose if I go right? And in my indecision, have I chosen a worse fate?
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:15 am
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

That's right. My question is related to the general movement/usage.

- nico
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:07 am
Duchenne

control change?

Yech! When I started Gothic I had a lot of problems with the controls. I'm from a die hard Quake, Counter Strike FPS background.

It took some time... but I'm kinda' used to it now and the game becomes fun fun fun after that! I can see why Gothic fans get distraught over change. But I think it's a good idea to be able to continue moving while swinging your weapon or parrying. Would have saved me getting whacked many a time.

I also hope staffing can be smoother (when you're not armed). In Gothic it looks like you lost a leg. Also... what about speeding up time so running from one end to another doesn't take as long. Speed potions tend to run out.
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:03 pm

Fx

Sauron38

quote:
Originally posted by sauron38
I'm going to like being able to block, but I want to see a game that comes out with a small plastic sword hilt and infrared sensors on it. (You know where I'm going) You will be able to use the sword to control your character.

Gothic it's not Jedi Knight! So as far as I know, they will not spoil this game such shit like plastic sword etc...
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:54 pm

Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

You can use a number of transformation scrolls for travel. Bloodfly is my favorite, it's super fast, you can go places you aren't supposed to be without getting attacked and it lasts until you end it.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:56 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

heh Gothic I controls are all fine you just need to learn at the beginning to use them
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 6:42 pm
Yog Sothoth
The All in One
The All in One

quote:
Originally posted by Daedalus
heh Gothic I controls are all fine you just need to learn at the beginning to use them

Right, never underestimate the power of Githic 1 controls!
=Ex-Baron of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 6:45 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ya true
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 6:54 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Re: Sauron38

quote:
Originally posted by Fx
Gothic it's not Jedi Knight! So as far as I know, they will not spoil this game such shit like plastic sword etc...

Well, I wouldn't like it in Gothic II, but it would be cool if well implemented into a Star Wars game.
Post Fri Jun 07, 2002 9:01 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next