Tribunal
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Tribunal

Does it add anything to Morrowind that makes the game better? ...or is it just a waste of time and money?

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:43 pm
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

It adds another part to the game, a whole area with new quests and crap. Easilly enough for another 40 hours of gameplay.

The area is pretty secluded though and doesnt affect the normal world much, just a few new npcs that hints to that part aswell as some evil people showing up from time to time that dont like you very much

But no new features or anything. Just more stuff to do and explore (like the game needed that)
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:58 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

It does add a couple of new features to the game as a whole: the journal will now sort its entries according to quest and filter out completed quests if you want, and you can now add notes to the local maps.

Another point to note is that Tribunal contains some new features, like a companion and pack animals, which in turn required some additions to the scripting language. These new script commands are being used extensively by recent mods. For this reason I think most new mods are going to require Tribunal to run.

In my opinion though it's more than worth it on its own. The new NPCs have more individuality, the new areas are colorful and attractive, the new storyline is interesting, and the quests are diverse and in many cases surprising.
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:11 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

As Srikandi mentioned Tribunal indeed has some new features and improvements. But generally it is not very significant, so if you think original Morrowind sucks big time - then Tribunal still won't be good enough for you.

Maybe you should consider some upcoming and promising new CRPGs.
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 3:12 am
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by Remus
As Srikandi mentioned Tribunal indeed has some new features and improvements. But generally it is not very significant, so if you think original Morrowind sucks big time - then Tribunal still won't be good enough for you.

Maybe you should consider some upcoming and promising new CRPGs.

Actually, I thought MW was a solid CRPG...didn't excel in every aspect, but very fun and immersive. However, I haven't played in months as other games ::Hitman2:: have stolen my attention. ...but seeing how I played MW for 3-4 months straight...and that Tribunal is only $30 US dollars...I figured I'd check it out. Are the quests more detailed...or interesting this time around? Is the storyline entertaining, exciting, etc? and how about challenge...are the enemies smarter, tougher, etc?

Thanks for the info.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 5:34 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Worth it? Yes!

I've found the quests more interesting, so far.

Mournhold (the area added with Tribunal) is a rather fun place - they've certainly added more humour to the mix this time. The architecture is all-new and very elegant, the new creatures are quite intimidating, and the areas I've seen seem more varied than on Vvardenfell. This is, of course, only my opinion!

The challenge is certainly tougher - my level 11 Glass-clad warrior is only just now being able to start the first of the main quests. I don't know how it progresses from here, but I've read reports of level 50+ people having problems with parts. One level 150+ was complaining about a certain NPC... It's definitely targeted towards the higher-level characters.

I think Tribunal is worth it. I'm having great fun with it.
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:36 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

- "Are the quests more detailed...or interesting this time around?" I can say they are more straight forward this time around (confined to city), so no searching high and low or running all over Morrowind. more interesting? pretty much same, although some will disagree with me.

-Storyline entertaining? - certainly a LITTLE more twist to the main storyline, so yeah, a LITTLE more entertaining too.

-smarter, tougher, etc? I won't say they're smarter, but certainly more tougher. You'll often get whack pretty bad, even with character at level 50-55.
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 3:02 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

In my opinion, the new quests are quite a bit more diverse and interesting -- including some of the side quests (there are about as many side quests as parts of the main quest in Trib). For instance, there's one where you get recruited to act in a play -- with a very surprising outcome. There's another that has some randomness in it -- you have to make a choice, and which choice is "right" depends on fate (fair enough, since it's a matchmaking quest). There's a Museum of Artifacts, where you can sell some of the unique objects you gather both in Vvardenfell and Tribunal and see them proudly displayed on crimson cushions. There's a guy who will make adamantium, ebony, and glass armor if you bring the raw materials. In addition to a mercenary companion, you can buy one or more pack rats, and also regular pet rats and scribs. And so on. The devs really went out of their way to introduce more variety here.

There are also scripted events, including a fairly large battle, so the world feels more alive. And you get to meet some legendary figures from the Elder Scrolls universe, including Barenziah and her son Helseth as well as Almalexia and Sotha Sil.

What there isn't is a new large surface area (most of Tribunal takes place in a large underground area), or new guilds to join. But I'd say if you enjoyed MW enough to play for 3-4 months, you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of Tribunal.
Post Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:51 pm