Members
Usergroups
More Oblivion: More downloads and expansion coming
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Garrett

More Oblivion: More downloads and expansion coming

In an <a href="http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/events/e32006/articles/bethesdasbooty.htm" target="_blank">interview with xbox.com</a> during last weeks E3 Bethesda's Ashley Cheng confirmed both more downloadable addons and a real expansion:<blockquote><em>"We're going to keep on releasing demos every three to four weeks as long as people keep playing," Cheng said. "We've got six or seven in the queue—one is a huge and epic dungeon."
<br>
<br>The two downloadable missions for Oblivion are two of the top downloads on Xbox Live® Marketplace. The only thing that will change, Cheng said, is the cost. "We're really trying some different things on the pricing."
<br>
<br>Though Bethesda is committed to downloadable content Cheng said that it will not affect expansion packs, which he didn't give a launch date for.</em></blockquote>
Post Thu May 18, 2006 8:51 am
OblivionSucks

bleh

OO, great an expansion.... like it wasn't painfull enough to get through the original game already.
Post Thu May 18, 2006 8:52 am

Father Omally

The Faithful need Patches not Expansions! :rpmad:

Where is THE PATCH OF MUCH NEEDED BUGGINESS REPENTENCE!? Of holy fixer upperness!? Let us pray it does not come by the hand of demoralizing spirits of greed in the form of expansion packs bugged powerfully bad which can only further open the predictable incompetent door for low quality products of Bethsoft ungodliness! Where is the love? Where is the respect for the Brothers and Sisters of the Modding Community that kept Morrowind going for so long? Oblivion seems more and more a false idol a illusion impotent. Where is our salvation?
Post Thu May 18, 2006 11:02 am

^ What he said...
Post Thu May 18, 2006 11:02 am

^ What he said...
Post Thu May 18, 2006 11:03 am

Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

The three posts above mine are obviously posted by the same guy as they were posted at the same time.

He does have a point though, let's hope patches that simply fix stuff (without adding anything) aren't pay-patches as well.

As for an expansion, I hope they make it a good one with a solid concept instead of just adding more landmass to walk around - we have enough of that already tbh, this is one of the few games where the size of the world is actually big enough as it is. I would really like to see new types of areas, such as more snow, some desert, a jungle.. just something other than a huge meadow.
Post Thu May 18, 2006 2:09 pm

I can only hope Bethesda doesn't waste too much time working on patch for the few thousand people having problems. The vast majority of people aren't experiencing any game breaking bugs of ANY kind. This is the least buggy piece of software I've seen released in some time.
Post Thu May 18, 2006 2:11 pm

ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
I can only hope Bethesda doesn't waste too much time working on patch for the few thousand people having problems. The vast majority of people aren't experiencing any game breaking bugs of ANY kind. This is the least buggy piece of software I've seen released in some time.

I totally agree. I would rather have them work on a long, interesting, varied main quest for an expansion - with real choices and consequences.

I didn't hate the main quest by any stretch, I just thought is was so so. Clearly they have all the tools necessary to create something amazing right out of the box.
Post Thu May 18, 2006 5:09 pm
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

The best Oblivion expansion/patch comes with the game. In the end, I never felt better or more certain about running uninst.exe. Somehow the game managed to make me feel like... Schopenhauer meets Disney. And then some.
Post Thu May 18, 2006 5:24 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
The three posts above mine are obviously posted by the same guy as they were posted at the same time.

He does have a point though, let's hope patches that simply fix stuff (without adding anything) aren't pay-patches as well.

As for an expansion, I hope they make it a good one with a solid concept instead of just adding more landmass to walk around - we have enough of that already tbh, this is one of the few games where the size of the world is actually big enough as it is. I would really like to see new types of areas, such as more snow, some desert, a jungle.. just something other than a huge meadow.

Greetings Sir Maylander tis not i who did the two other gracious posts by Sir Guest it was but the lucky charms of my three leaf clover making miracles of synchronicity to be. Ah the Lord works in mysterious ways so visible

Yay i be hoping for more then land mass in any Expansion released by these Bethesda folks.On the Patch i concur all that is needed is commonsense balancing (weapons/armor/items that cost zero!!!?/npcs walking around in short sleeves n sandals during a snow storm! etc) and fixing of the empty sterile environmets such as the almost rail like rollercoaster linearity of the Oblivion plane with Dremoras happily jumping into lava pits to their death cursing us with boredom.
Post Thu May 18, 2006 6:26 pm

Father Omally

Oh me wheres a post name reminder when ye be needing one!

HEAVENS BE! I forgot to put me proper name up in the previous above post!

Might as well make use of this post with more of my unimportant thoughts. Another fine thing that would be grand for the patch is tweaking of the RAI ai to be more on mark even though with the blessings of the Beta Patch it does seem to be much more gifted with the sparkle of simulated life.Some real dire consequences for pilfering the kitty and being a heart breaking life taker would also be much welcomed! Ay and churches that are more..well CHURCH LIKE! Instead of the empty cold stone sermonless sabbathless monuments of cement slab they are now .My heart nearly broke to my death when i saw no angelic hyms being sung on Sundas by the Imperial Choir and no followers of the faith attending services. I thought The Elder Scrolls were supposed to be fantasy simulation like No not that kind of fantasy you sinful lot of perverse maladaptive behaviours!
Post Thu May 18, 2006 9:13 pm

sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

Leave it alone

The patch wrecked my game. I was happy with the beta, never learn. I ended up reinstalling xp along with a replacement dvd player and different memory. I suppose my rig was borderline anyway but the patch did me in. I'm taking a break and will try later to start a new character or just play gothic 2 again. And calling MS for an id is now longer thanks to a longer id number and a voice mail that wasn't there before. Only my second time with this id too. TES4 was fun though.
Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:17 am
Father Omally

Tis a grand patch thus far!

Just installed this possible patch blessing in disguise thee other day and verily me game seems more smoother with tweaks in many small but noticeable things.Like a Leprechaun sticking its head out of a green grassy hole in thee ground.Small and noticeable. Framerates be smooth like a shiny just smacked baby booty of a wee one! The intro dungeon seems many times more cohesive like a fine tuned engine going from one fight transition into the mighty Emperors speech animation with no laggy pausy action and with Guards being much more fluid and orderly in formation.

Will see what else is in store for one such I who waited for this lullabye of a patch in faithful childlike patience.
Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:41 am

xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Well I'll be the son of a one-eyed Leprechaun named Fred! The high priest of the Oblivion Wet Blanket Brigade has something other to say about ye olde Oblivion than insult!

Alas, my pagan eyes behold the stars, they have indeed made a paradigm shift to the constellation of The Realist!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:03 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

A realist?......yes, a "real" realist i must be ...iv'e uninstalled and put the game back in it's collectors version box, with map, 'making of oblivion' cd and not forgetting the super imperial septim coin, now it's up for sale on ebay...yep, i suppose this is rpg realism in it's true form.
Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:27 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next