Usergroups
Horses in game
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Riding a lurker or a giant lurker would be pretty cool. Like Obe Wan in star wars 3 when he rides that big ol lizard. A larger scavenger would be good too.

Horses while potentially good have to many reality based limitations. That's why a fictional creature would provide a better mount.

To answer the question about what pulls the various carts around that can be found in the previous games... maybe some big ox like creature is used to pull loads around.

later, rordog
Post Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:41 am
Jazzy_s
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Maylander
Riding a shadowbeast! That's it! THAT would be cool! Normal horses? Wouldn't fit - why haven't the soldiers and paladins been riding along on horses already? Complete story crash really, but shadowbeasts are wild and untamable.. maybe some nomadic dude in the desert knows the secret of taming them and riding them? If they do have mounts, something like that with a bit of background story as to why we haven't seen them so far would be cool(and needed, otherwise we get a story crash).

YES shadowbeast would be a good replacement of horses, it would look great,
and the "dude" story fits well, but I think we should live the dude story and replace horses with snapers or a herbivor animal something like in Konan Doils story "The lost World".
Post Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:21 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

I've read all the posts in this thread and I thought already read somewhere that there will be some kind of mounting different in each of the large parts of the Kingdom. I think PB is giving this serious amount of time to pounder about. I just hope like Maylander, that they will drop it if it ruins the Gothic Feeling. The stuff Jazzy_s posted (about what's a good horse and such) sounds to me a bit to hard to make. Gothic isn't realistic, there are glimps of realism in it. That the mount has to be a real living animal at the same time, is imo to hard to create. To make it a good transport and that you can put the mount (horse) attached to a tree is already good enough for me. A fighting system would take to much of the PB's valuable time.
NFG member
Post Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:36 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Why not?

Still if the include horses i want them to´feel real.in other words the horses should behave like horses.If you go to a tavern you must lash the horse etc..

I'd defiently want to see horse combat

Imagine our hero in a paladin armor on the sadle of a monster warhorse chasing the poor screaming orcs running for their lives..but we paladins show no merce to the hordes of beliar!
Post Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:30 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

See, now we're getting to the core of the problem PB is having. Any idea how long it would take to actually find a good solution, and then implement it with all the realism Gothic requires? Damn, it's like they have to create a 2nd set of NPCs - one human and one horse.

Of course it would make the game better, but it would also make sure the game wouldn't come out till 2009.

If leaving horses out would get the game out 6 months sooner, LET ME AT IT!
Post Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:38 pm
Jazzy_s
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Dez
Why not?

Still if the include horses i want them to´feel real.in other words the horses should behave like horses.If you go to a tavern you must lash the horse etc..

I'd defiently want to see horse combat

Imagine our hero in a paladin armor on the sadle of a monster warhorse chasing the poor screaming orcs running for their lives..but we paladins show no merce to the hordes of beliar!

Ha ha yes it will be prety cool I just can imagine this.
But as Maylander sayed it will took for too long. Maybe GothicIII can do it an without horses but PB will have enough time to do it in the IV-th part
Post Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:47 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Yea I understand it quite well if they leave horses out.Adding them has indicated a very difficult task to many other developers, so i'm not very suprised if we get a game with no horses

If they were going to create everything what we wanted, only our grand children would be able to enjoy this masterpiece
Post Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:48 pm
Jazzy_s
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yes as you can see game industry developes in fast tempo, so who knows what waits for us in the far future.
But one thing is for sure with such fans Gothic will be forever.
Post Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:57 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

besides I think horses would make transport runes useless. and vica versa
so maybe they better stick with the old working thing instead of screwing the game up with something new.
Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:38 pm
LocoBaxter
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

If they did have horses they shouldn't be usable everywhere, i think it should have an area like the desert or long forests u can use them, so that it doesnt completely ruin the transport runes.
Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:14 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Agree with Titus

Welcome to the forums Locobaxter!
You have a good point, we already know that you need water etc in the desert, and it would be weird if the horse could simply stroll around in there without any. Also, you can't really drag your horse into dungeons etc.

I don't see why we need horses at all in fact, the teleport runes are a great way of transport imo(one that more games could adapt in fact), and it's completely free of complications.
Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:58 am
LocoBaxter
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

what if it was like a horse u can ride but it goes autopilot to where u want and theres certain places that it can go that teleport runes cant go. so this way you would have to use both
Post Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:46 pm
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

IMO, teleport spells are always given late at the game. So they are not of my favor really. I'd like to jumb on a horse more than teleporting (Well, except if i am surrounded by loads of minecrawlers). But it will be hard to make. They won't implment them anyway. So dont worry
Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:14 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by X-dANGEr
They won't implment them anyway. So dont worry

Don't draw your conclusions too early. In one of their latest interviews they said that they had noticed that mounts was a big subject in the community and they were seriously looking into the matter.
Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:25 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

But horses would change the whole balancing because you´re faster and you´re above your enemies. Maybe they find another quick travel system.
Post Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:35 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next