View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
shai_aus
Village Leader
Village Leader

-mancer madness

OK, I'm a little pissed off.

I've been taking my level 12 party through the South-east Wilderness. For the first few encounters, there were only a few Tanto Wasps and the occasional Hogar, easily torn up by my front line.

But then I ran into 2 Geomancers and a Lesser Earth Elemental pet. The Geomancers were level 15. I eventually won - Instant Death is a godsend for lesser elementals - but I took a large beating from level 7 Crush spells.

I needed ammo, so I started heading out to buy some from Crock. On the bridge, however, I was greeted with 3 Hydromancers and another Elemental. Again, I beat them, but only barely.

Now, as I type this, my party is facing off against 3 Aeromancers and ANOTHER Elemental.

Is there some sort of pattern to this, because it sure seems strange.
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 2:20 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I met the 2 geomancers and the lesser earth elemental on the Arnika- Trynton road, but not any other type of -mancers yet.
I don't know if there are any pattern in your encounter,I just can recommend you to have the spells "Magic screen" and "Elemental shield" and "Soul shield" running during those fights for a lot lesser damage taken from the -mancers.
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 2:37 pm
otter
One of Us

Yah, and as soon as Combat starts, cast Silence or Insanity on the castards, and Eye-4-Eye on one of your Char's to slow down the magic.
I also like to kill the castards first.
There's not really a pattern to that, i've had a few games like that myself, where the SEW spawns a bunch of -mancers. One trick i like to use if i'm headed for the Temple is to save a level or two until after i enter the zone; the spawns will be lower-level that way. (but the Temple is a fixed set)
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:37 pm
Rhea
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I agree with Otter. Eye for an Eye and Insanity are huge helps with any spell casters. If you drive them insane, they either can't cast or it fizzles or doesn't have any poop. Eye for an Eye is even better, since it rebounds on them.

I usually try to keep Canned Elementals around in case I meet these guys (also for the templ).

In terms of the random groups, it's all a crap shoot. You can change it by going back to a save from BEFORE you entered the area and try again if you can't make it through.

The game often has a tendency to spawn multiple groups of the same monsters in a given area. I finished a trip through the lower monastery not long ago in an expert game where it spawned groups of 4+ metallic slimes (nasty guys, 95-125 HP apiece). I made it out alive, but barely.
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:24 pm
Gandalf
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

-Mancer/elemental fight tips, anyone?

Since the subject has been broached, would anyone mind posting their thoughts on effective strategies to use against -mancers and their various pet elementals? I know some of the obvious things were touched on here already, but I'd like to know if there are other effective tactics.
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:17 pm
shai_aus
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well, thanks for all the tips and everything, but I was never really in trouble, just a little annoyed. After the Aeromancer encounter, I had to fight one more Hydromancer/Elemental trio, then I FINALLY got into the swamp. It's sorta relieving to be fighting against puny soldier ants again.

As for tips, well, a lot have already been covered. The no-brainers, such as casting Element Shield, Magic Screen, etc. should be second nature. Don't know about Soul Shield, though; they don't seem to use divine and mental magic that much.

As for other tips, Insanity does indeed work very well, and Hex does too, if you're of a high enough level. Also, NONE of them have divine resistance, which is your cue to use death spells. In particular, the spell Instant Death is useful against the elementals. While they are immensely strong - the earth elemental took out my samurai in one hit when he got close enough - they are usually of a very low level (about 5 or 6), so Instant Death works very well.

If you don't have Instant Death yet, here's a little spoiler:
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
P
A
C
E
There is a Book of Death in the Wilderness Clearing, in a cave guarded by a Gazer.
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:57 am