View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Zekspir
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

EasterEgg ?!?

Hi,

G2Gold, Notr - first chapter, level 14, magician. Just made my way onto the ship. in the hold i found an Engraved Ring (value 5 ) - description :Ring of the overseas trading-guild Araxos. Does it have an use , i.e. somewhat like the Ring of the Water Mages ? Or it`s just for fun ?

Got 2 q`s - eastereggs-kinda related. I found the fire bow (not my first run through NOTR, but I just found it now ). Same with the magic bow/xboww, just 20 arrows. I am pretty sure I will not find more. Is there a way to increase the number of arrows, cause with only 20 any of the 3 "special" ranged weapons is useless. I tried selling a fire arrow to Bosper, but his inventory will not "magically" increase the number of arrows. Could it be that I need to change chapters ? Find another trader ? Is there any way ? Or this is it - 20 fire arrows/magic arrows/magic bolts . . . use those and sell the bows/xbow ?
Any use for the shells you find ? Or just sell them ?

Also, a will-o-wisp related one . . .Can you find some "special items" if you train the wisp ? Someone mentioned in a previous thread tha he found a "stone of knowledge". Do other items spawn if the wisp is trained to the max. (kinda like the magic golem spawn if you get the quest - or the stone of knowledge if the wisp is trained to search for special items). If so, do they have any use ?
I am confident I will have enough LP to up my mage and learn some sideskills (like upgrade the wisp, get some hunting skills and so on(

Can anyone share some "less frequently found" items locations ? Or less used quest solving. Or some tricks (ya know kinda like a tips, triks, secrets ?). if so please post`em if you got em. I would love to find someting new (my fifth run throu NOTR, 15th through G2 - first time NOTR mage), no matter how small
Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:43 pm
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Re: EasterEgg ?!?

quote:
Originally posted by Zekspir
G2Gold, Notr - first chapter, level 14, magician. Just made my way onto the ship. in the hold i found an Engraved Ring (value 5 ) - description :Ring of the overseas trading-guild Araxos. Does it have an use , i.e. somewhat like the Ring of the Water Mages ? Or it`s just for fun ?

It's Fernando's ring. You can use it to bring him into prison.

quote:
Got 2 q`s - eastereggs-kinda related. I found the fire bow (not my first run through NOTR, but I just found it now :D). Same with the magic bow/xboww, just 20 arrows. I am pretty sure I will not find more. Is there a way to increase the number of arrows, cause with only 20 any of the 3 "special" ranged weapons is useless. I tried selling a fire arrow to Bosper, but his inventory will not "magically" increase the number of arrows. Could it be that I need to change chapters ? Find another trader ? Is there any way ? Or this is it - 20 fire arrows/magic arrows/magic bolts . . . use those and sell the bows/xbow ?

You won't find any other arrows and bolts. Never used those magical long-range weapons, though.

quote:
Any use for the shells you find ? Or just sell them ?

You may open them.
Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:36 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

You can use a hex editor to add more of any item you wish. This is briefly how to do it......

Open the save game you want to edit in the hex editor.
Find your characters inventory.(not as simple as you might think. Using the search feature of the hex editor to locate any unique item you might have can speed this process up.)
Locate the item you want to edit in your inventory. In this case you have 20 arrows.......change it to 99, not MORE than 99 because you can only edit the EXISTING digits. If you have 1 of something, you can change it up to a 9. 1 digit can become 9, 2 digits can become 99, 3 digits can become 999, etc.
Save and exit the hex editor(let it create a backup also, just in case)

Now restart the game and you should have 99 arrows..........but I know you want more......right? Go put 2 arrows in a chest, or drop them on the ground in front of you.....point is to know where you left them. Now save and exit the game, open the save game in the hex editor, find your inventory and change the 97 arrows to 99....same as you did before, save, exit.

Restart the game again and you'll have 99 arrows in inventory. Go pick up the 2 arrows you left before......now you have 101 arrows, but more importantly you have 3 digits to edit in hex editor. Now go edit the save game to 999. Keep doing this until you have all you want. Just remember you can ONLY edit the digit(s) in the save game. If you have 3 of something and simply try to make it 3000, it ain't gonna work.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:07 pm
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel
Locate the item you want to edit in your inventory. In this case you have 20 arrows.......change it to 99, not MORE than 99 because you can only edit the EXISTING digits. If you have 1 of something, you can change it up to a 9. 1 digit can become 9, 2 digits can become 99, 3 digits can become 999, etc.

Wouldn't a HEX editor allow at least 16 per digit?

FF instead of 99.
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:22 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Hindukönig
quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel

Wouldn't a HEX editor allow at least 16 per digit?

FF instead of 99.

I'm trying to explain this process in the simplest manner. Editing the true hex string would be a tad complicated for most users. My instructions are editing the right-hand pane that shows decimal values.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:45 pm
Zekspir
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks guys . . . so no arrows unless I edit . . . kinda like cheating, I`m going to just sell the stuff.
Never knew about the shells though, never opened them so far . Got myself some nice oister meat (shell meat ?!?), did not get to eat it yet, and a few pearls - will sell those.
About the ring - now that you mentioned, I seem to recall I found one in a bandit camp in a previous game and was connected to Fernando. I already put him in jail and the ring I found was in the cargo-hold of the ship, so dunno.
Found a skull (no description, no value) in the water near the pirate camp in addon world. Any use for that ?
As a side note, Malak died early in Ch. 1 (he is one of the farmers from Bengar`s Farm and I seem to remember he was involved in a mage quest in G2 - posessed quest or something). A farmer charged a bloodfly, 3 others + Malak came to help, the bloodfly "called" for some backup . . . long story short, there are now 2 lurkers having a Malak/farmer meal . I couldn`t help - at that time I was barely able to scratch a lurker - so I hope it will not screw up the game later. I believe it will make the quest unsolvable, but I hope this will be the only side-effect.
Again, what about the will-o-wisp ?
Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:30 am
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

1. Firebow and magic crossbow ammo: An easier way to "cheat" so you get more is to enter developer mode (from the status screeen type marvin), then go to the console (press F2), then type "hero export xyz" and this will create an xyz.zen file in your Gothic II/saves directory. This file can be edited with any text editor (Wordpad, Notepad, etc.). In there you will find the firearrows and regular arrows. I just "convert" most of my regular arrows to firearrows (decrease the number of regular arrows and increase firearrow count by that much). Then, once back in NotR, get back into "marvin mode" and then from the "console" type "hero import xyz" and you will now have plenty of firearrows. (You can convert any number of arrows, not just to a number with the same digit count.)

2. Will o'Wisp: Sorry, all I ever found with it (that I couldn't find normally) was the stone of knowledge.

3. I don't know about losing Malak, I've never had him die in Ch 1 before. I guessing that, at worst, you will miss out on the Bengar portion of the Ch 3 quest about Malak running off with the other farmers.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:55 am
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

If his corpse was still around (i'm guessing it;s not though) you could just enter marvin mode, focus on the corpse and click "o" key to posses that character and hit F8 to ressurect him. Focus on the hero now, and hit "o" to posses the hero again.
Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:06 pm
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

VoM check behind the waterfall near the ex new camp was near where DH are camped

if you walk towards where the fire dragon is and if you try to walk throught the huge "stairs" where the fire lizards are youll find a hole in a wall somewhere and in it is an orc shaman with a chest
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:07 pm
FinnScar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Is there any use to the magic or fire bows? I just finished the game and never used them. Well, I tried and found nothing special so I carried them waiting for the opportunity.

I think I'll pitch them over the ships rail. We need to reduce our ballast.
Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:01 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

If you get them early enough in the game such that they are a real improvement over the type of bow you can use at the moment, then they are useful. You'll have to use one of the "cheats" mentioned above to get enough ammo to make them worthwhile, though.

Pretty quickly you'll find that you outgrow them. Then just sell them off -- they have no special use late in the game AFAIK.

Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:24 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

It just occurred to me that PB should have included magic and fire arrow/bolt making as a learnable skills. Then these nifty looking weapons would have been worth actually finding. Considering the difficulty level of NOTR, I don't think it would have changed the game balance much....if any.

Imagine as a merc you can create fire arrows at an alchemy bench. You'd need 100 arrows, a fire arrow spell scroll, and the learned knowledge to create the arrows.

For mage you could make magic arrows combining 100 arrows with one of a few different spell scrolls. For instance lightning scroll would create 100 magic arrows that have lightning damage.

Since paladin is a combo of magic and fighting, you'd be able to make magic and fire arrows. Mighta been interesting

Post Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:05 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Uriziel,

Excellent ideas there! I almost wonder if something like that was planned for NotR but got dropped at the end. Especially since these bows are practically useless unless you can obtain more ammo, and there is no where you can buy more.

That's why I don't consider it a real cheat to convert regular arrows to fire/magic arrows and back. I just see it as the magic is in the bows, not the arrows (as is the case in other RPGs -- computer and table top). It's also not that the fire/magic bows are so over powered compared to others in the game as to really unbalance things.

Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:45 am