AC Modifiers, Help!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
IDPuterGuy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

AC Modifiers, Help!

I don't see how they work as far as stacking bonuses works? See page 114 in the Neverwinter Nights manual to understand my confusion. If I read the AC Modified section and if understand it correctly that would mean a Leather Armor +1 Armor Enhancement and lets say some kind of ring +1 Armor Enhancement only add +1 accumulative to your AC? Does anyone know a web page that has a good section on this or can explain it to me?
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:19 pm
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

I will give you a general explanation and leave the nuts & bolts to the experts.

Bonuses to AC include (But are not limited to):
Armor
Natural Armor
Deflection
Dodge

If you get a similar kind of bonus from two or more different sources, they don't stack, only apply the highest.

Let me give you an example. Lets say you have two seperate items; one of them gives you a +2 Deflection Bonus to AC, and the other +1 Natural Armor Bonus to AC. They will grant you a +3 net total.

However, if both types are Deflection bonuses, then you only get a +2; they don't stack. In your example, since both items give +1 armor bonus, only the highest (+1) counts.

There are a few exceptions, but this is pretty much how it works.
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:36 am
IDPuterGuy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Clear as mud! LOL

Need the players handbook but I'm poor.. Know where any online versions are?
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:53 am
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

the ones that are out online are very vague and not NEARLY as useful and complete as the players handbook, and i dont think they go into detail about this. at www.gamefaqs.com there is a few NeverWinter Nights guides, but just for the main quest.

Don't you feel better now?
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:02 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Hmm... Beo did a pretty thorough once over of how it works.

I could break it down into the fundemental components of armor class and why some things stack and others don't ... but if you're unclear on the fact that different things stack and like things don't in D&D then you might want to go to www.wizards.com/boards and register. In the players handbook section of the forums, asking the question

"I'm new to 3E. How does Armor Class work?"

Will get you a lot of answers probably. Ignore the flamers who will bash you for being a 'moron'. You will get some good answers among the flames.

As for downloading a copy of the Players Hand Book? Telling you how is against board regulations.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:38 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

joe can hook you up at "all honest goods" over on 16th. don't be fooled by the name, it's just to throw the cops off...

"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:01 am
TheRaven
Village Leader
Village Leader

what is the difference between a "natural", a "deflection" and that third kind of AC-Bonus ? *just wondering*
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:00 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Natural - Adds directly to your base 10 armor class. Your skin becomes tougher and harder to penetrate.

Enhancement - Usually used on Armor, it enhances the armor bonus higher than it normtally would be. A magic suit of plate is an example of enchancement in action.

Armor - Fairly self explanitary, it is the time honored and incredibly bright idea of seperating yourself from the weapons of your foes by putting something much harder than your squishy self in the way. Shields fall into this category as well... but shields have a weird quirk.

Deflection - Deflection AC is a forcefield around you, which bounces attacks off.

Example in action... a fighter with an amulet of natural armor +2, full plate +1, and a ring of protection +2.

AC 10 = Normal human armor class. Not based on how tough you are but how desperately you scrabble around to not get cut in half. Works against 'touch' attacks.

+2 = 12. Ring of Protection +2. Before they can hit you they have to get through your force field. And unlike Trek these ones don't go down.

+ 8 = 20 Full Plate. Now you're cooking. You've surrounded yourself in a wall of steel.

+1 = 21 Full Plate magic bonus of +1. Ooooo.... super hard wall of steel!

+2 = 23 Amulet of natural armor + 2. Now you're cool. Anything that makes it through your force field and wall of steel now has to get through your hardened skin.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:29 pm