Morrowind Press Copy - Some anwers
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Gwendo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

One more question:

1- Are there spears? If yes, do you have advantage again't enemies with shorter weapons? For example, you attack with a spear a thief with a short sword. Could you put yourself in a certain distance, so that you can hit him, but he cannot reach you due to his shorter weapon?
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:05 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

There are spears, but I simply don't know if they can keep the enemy at distance. Would have to try.

I have tried archery now - Nice on distant, slower enemies, but as long as you aren't a VERY skilled archer with a VERY good weapon, you'll need your short swrd to fiish your wounded prey.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:40 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

I got 2 things to ask, the other beta tester here in holland i know from the site gamers.nl just made a preview about that beta, he claims that it's full of bugs and framerate problems are very present, on his amdxp 1600+ geforce3 he said his pc had hard times sometimes in Morrowind with the framerate, but in your preview can be seen that the game runs great on an less good machine as his pc.

and another slight annoying thing was with entering buildings..that the game has to load for some secs and that you can't look at the outside when your inside buildings...my guess is that he has a much older beta than you got there....
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:02 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Actually, it depends on what you consider to be framerate problems. I haven't had all things at max, regarding visual quality. But i have no reason to believe that a system like mine (1300/100, 512MB, GeForce 3 Ti 200) would run this game either choppy or with sublimal framerates. Ask the guy if he had a defragmented hard disk, other programs running in the background (virus scan or things like that). With my configuration, you are on the safe side, if you are happy with 25fps in VERY dense areas.

Bugs: what is he talking about? Yes, about 20-30 known bugs where listed in the readme, some of them showstoppers. Pathfinding of NPC#s was one of them - but apart from the known ones, I have seen none. And those should have been fixed.

Doors: he is right.game loads for a second, you are in or out. No looking through. This is only true for doors that lead in or out, not those in a house. But I don't see what's the problem with this, especially because NPC's that hunt you down don't care about doors if they are not locked, as I heard.

Hey, Morrowind isn't the second coming of Jesus Christ - it's just a superb game and (at least for me) the best RPG I have ever played.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:13 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

well then, it should run ok on my AMD 1ghz, 384 ram and geforce3 ...but definetely with some settings down like you mentioned the shadows setting...i don't know anything more from this, i just translated some things from that preview...but just like you Rend, i cAn't wait any longer for this game, this ain't no game that i need to read a review for or anything like that, this game is something to just go buy at the shop...looking forward to your part3 preview. one more thing, he also mentioned it can get real jerky when your close to the water in Morrowind because of the effects it needs to load in.
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:23 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

I also have three more questions.
1. If you beat a guy and then run away. Does he hunt you or does he stops after a while? Like in Gothic: When you are a certain distance away from the person he stops and shouts: Run home to your mommy or That guy is sneaking of.

2. Can you hit traders and take his stuff and when he gets more you can hit him down again.

3. Do the traders get more stuff?

4. Oops! I forgot the other questions.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Thu Apr 25, 2002 5:17 pm
Seraphim
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks Rend, I guess archery is only good for a backup weapon.

I still don't understand why anyone would pick any armor type other than heavy. Unless it really hinders you carrying compasity that it's annoying.
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:26 am
Guest888

No armor!

I don't plan on wearing armor at all. Go Unarmored skill!
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:38 am

Applebrown

Some more answers:

Spears do allow the character to fight more at a distance.

There is a difference between Light, Medium and Heavy Armor. Not in the speed as far as I can tell, but definitely in the fatigue. Less fatigue is used when running with Light armor as opposed to Heavy. And fatigue plays a HUGE role in the game.

Traders don't seem to get "New" items in, but they do restock what they already had after you buy and come back at a later point... maybe 24 hours not sure of the time. So they'll never run out.... of probably normal stuff. Haven't tried it with a say... Ebony Pauldron.

Archery might be good for more than a backup weapon. It will DEFINITELY be powerful in the game if you have a good archery skill. Problem is, that unless you choose it for Major or Minor, you're not going to be good at it in the beginning of the game. But there are oh so many arrows and bolts and magic ones at that in the game, that provide the archer with plenty of ammunition. I read somewhere that Iron Arrows are the most plentiful item in the game . I used it for awhile (get a crossbow at the beginning because when you DO hit it does lots more damage) and found it to be useful in keeping monsters at bay. Particulary the spellcasting variety .

Resting at an Inn: I like the way Rend does it but I'm too impatient.

-=Applebrown
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 3:13 am

Applebrown

One other followup to Archery. You can get at least two or three shots at a creature, depending on how fast it is, before it reaches you.

-=AB
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 3:18 am

Saint_Proverbius
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Rend,

How's the diplomacy in Morrowind? How well does speech work? How much combat is avoidable with speech?
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:34 am
bigkabuto19

Hi if have one more question to either rendelius or the other one answering the things asked

i just bought the dutch pc magazine pcgameplay...there's a preview of MW in it, with a screenshot of a little boat, don't know what to call it in english..exact same boats as those seen in Venice in real life....it says you can travel by those little boats too..my question...do you use the boat yourself or is there automatic driver in it or does it go automaticly with a short cutscene or can you really enjoy the view when you pass by with yer boat?
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:52 pm

DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by DzD
I also have three more questions.
1. If you beat a guy and then run away. Does he hunt you or does he stops after a while? Like in Gothic: When you are a certain distance away from the person he stops and shouts: Run home to your mommy or That guy is sneaking of.

Please answer.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 3:08 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

FAO: Bigkabuto

We call that type of boat a Gondola
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 4:24 pm
Seraphim
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks applebrown,

That helps out a lot. So I'm assuming the fatigue is a lot like it is in severence. So if I pick medium armor I should be able to get in an extra swing or two as apposed to heavy armor.
Post Fri Apr 26, 2002 6:33 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next