Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Any comments on The lousy support from Pyhrana?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Torracat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

There was obviously a lot of effort put into this game and I loved it. But the website sux, there is seemingly no response to the sea of bugs found within the game and no updates as to what is going on for the community. I can't help but wonder why...
Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 8:23 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

All I have to say is this:
Give me a patch that...
Fixes the winch bugs,
Fixes collision glitches,
Makes Bloodwyn QUIT HARASSING YOU after you become a Shadow,
And most importantly, the thing I want more than ANYTHING else...
LETS YOU GET HEAVY GUARD'S ARMOR IN ACT 3!!!
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 12:24 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Gothic was released in Germany in Spring last year. They did a lot of fixes that were in the english version from the beginning. Gothic was rather bug free for a complex game, but certainly not perfect.

PB released a bugfix for Radeon owners this month, and I doubt any more fixes will appear. There are no show-stoppers in the game, as far as I know, and what they will improve will be in Gothic 2
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 12:31 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

I am going to stand on my soapbox a moment - so please bear with me. Relatively bug free for a complex game?????? Baloney - I have played many a game just as complex and FAR more bug free. But that is not the soap box. We, of the gaming community, are allowing gaming companies to get away with poorer and poorer debugged games. Being complex is NO excuse for quality control and a quality debugging program. Year after year games are being produced more and more sloppily - shall we also let airline manufacturers and manufacturers of cars use the same excuse? Gamers need to start speaking out and demanding bug free games - from the start or it will just keep getting worse.

Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 2:44 am

Gothic wasn't perfect but I also wouldn't use the words "Gothic" and "poor" in the same sentence. Gothic was hands down the funnest RPG released in 2001. All the people who voted Wizradry 8 and Arcanum best RPG obviously didn't play Gothic.
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 3:38 am

Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Nobody said Gothic was a poor game - it is a wonderfully fun game. What WAS said is that is has far too many bugs - AND they are not getting fixed.

Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:46 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Bugs...I couldnt find one. Or at least not one that I didnt shoo off in about 3 seconds. That they were able to pull off such a complex world and merge it with great graphics and sound effects is a great feat. The world created is so immersive (to me) that I still have yet to think of a bug that ever irritated me to the point that it stuck out in my mind after a session...
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:54 pm

Any time a player MUST use a cheat code simply to progress in the game, it's an intolerable game-stopper. Now I've played Gothic for hours on end, enjoyed it very much, and am now hunting through the Orc Temple. But I wouldn't be here now if not for JemyM's FAQ and his description of how to cheat when the winches fail... and fail they do. I'd have never gotten through the Minecrawler Queen quest without cheating, since 12 reloads failed to resolve the issue of the jammed winch.

Also, I've seen others asking for help on issues beyond the point I am in the game. The replies always say the player must cheat to continue, because "it's a bug."

For some players to dismiss these game-stopping bugs as unimportant is, in my opinion, unfathomable. Game designers take consumer money, then deliver a product that cannot be used as advertised without the use of cheat codes? Not everyone who buys computer games has internet access, so it's a good bet that hundreds, if not thousands, of disillusioned gamers have found their dollars wasted as they were utterly thwarted at an early point in the game by a bug. I agree that gamers MUST stand up and say loudly as a group that this is unacceptable, and game designers who continue to thrust this kind of poor quality control on their customers will not be rewarded by garnering more of our hard-earned money.

Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 3:27 pm

wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I agree with "Mr. Anonymous." Imagine if they decided to put Gothic on PS2 or Xbox. The debugging would be a HUGE project, because you can't simply patch a console game or update your drivers. It has to work, and it has to work ALL THE TIME, PERIOD. PC game developers may run into snags and incompatibility glitches from time to time, but the fact is they would have us believe this myth that they simply CANNOT make a game bug-free. This is not true. It's just a matter of getting it onto the shelf now, so the bread will start rolling in. They can always patch it later, a luxury that the console guys don't have and never HAVE had.
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 6:12 pm
Weasel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hello,

I must admit, I can't quite follow the last statement.
Gothic was released in Germany over some months now (almost a year) so they didn't release a buggy game in America and THEN started patching... The English version of the game started in Version 1.08J, so you can see, there was already spent a lot of support and bugfixing. (Of course, this means, the game needed a lot of bugfixing )
But I do agree to the point, that the games of the last releases are by far too buggy!!!Only one example that gives me the creeps: Pool of Radiance!
I agree, that the players have to defend themselves against this way of developing a game.
I ask myself, WHO THE F*** makes the betatests for the developers and how can they sleep at night
I had a lot of trouble getting Gothic installed and playing but in the end I almost all by myself did fix the troubles and could finish AND ENJOY the game and now I'm playing it again...
The e-mail support of piranha bytes was one of the fastest I ever experienced and they really do care and try to help as fast as possible.The tendency of buggy releases has to be stopped! But before I don't buy a game that I like or - just to think of it - buy a console with all its great games and their cool saving and playing features (this is ironic... ) I buy the games and support good developers in the - sometimes desperate hope - of upcoming patches and support.
And I count the developers of Gothic to the good ones

Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:38 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

uhmzz the bugs arent trobles just do alot saves. the most important is is the story good(gothic had real good story) and offcorse that it should be long gothic was pretty long but still i would like that Gothic 2 will be longer hehe
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 7:58 pm
method
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well...uhm...it was made by germans...there's your firts clue
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 4:38 am

wtf is that supposed to mean?
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:42 pm

wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Lol. C'mon guys, let's not start the war all over again over a computer game.
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:43 pm
Chyren
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

They should have done it multilingual from the begining so we europeans could have all the extras too
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:43 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next