View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > RPGDot

Author Thread
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

this site NEEDS a Betrayal at Krondor Forum

it is utterly ridiculous that this site has no Betrayal at Krondor Forum

Betrayal at Krondor is the best RPG ever made - by far!

this site is failing in it's mandate by not giving Betrayal at Krondor it's due homage with at least a Forum of it's very own

especially since this site rants and rave about POS games like Gothic and Gothic 2 as if they are the best thing since sliced bread. note for those interested in why Gothic is a horrible POS game, see here: http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27967&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=gothic+sucks&start=0

since i am posting in the suggestion forum now, i might as well add that it is VERY LAME that you guys close any threads that criticize games/post a dissenting point of view about a game's merits; as happened in the linked thread there. doing that is very disrespectful to the original poster and even more so to all members here who wanted to continue with the discussion only to find it LOCKED when they next visit this site. the Mods here need to ease up and stop closing threads UNLESS THE ORIGINAL POSTER is personally flaming others. this is supposed to be a FUN place to come to, not an emulation of Hitler's Third Reich Thought Police that are ordered to "silence" anyone who disagrees. yet that is what i'm reminded of when i see BS, unjustified thread closures as per the example above. i'm sure many others feel the same way. please take this paragraph as an "aside" and do not let it detract from my main point, that Betrayal at Krondor NEEDS it's own Forum

this site needs to decide to STOP failing in it's mandate; and to acknowledge the greatest RPG of all-time: Betrayal at Krondor - with a Forum. a site or two wouldn't hurt either, but at the very least a Betrayal at Krondor Forum is the bare minimum required to make this into any sort of CREDIBLE RPG site.

please do all the things i've suggested in this thread. it will make this site a 100 000x better place than it is now.

thank you.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:13 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

We are not closing every topic that critisize something. Usually we close topics where poeple are using words like POS too much.

Btw. what is Betrayal at Krondor? :]]
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:31 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

I'm a fool for posting this because I'm pretty sure you're trolling. Our mandate is to be the best CRPG news source on the net, so whether we have one forum or another isn't a failing . Betrayal at Krondor is an excellent game but we're not going to get any traffic for a 10 year-old game - which I'm pretty sure you know.

Honestly - "ranting and raving" about Gothic? Show me where the site - not the forum members - but the site rants and raves about Gothic?
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:33 pm
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Betrayal at Krondor is the game that your WEBMASTER took his member name for this site from (Gorath).

see even your Webmaster has an affinity for it - surely that means it deserves it's own forum!
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:42 pm
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
I'm a fool for posting this because I'm pretty sure you're trolling. Our mandate is to be the best CRPG news source on the net, so whether we have one forum or another isn't a failing . Betrayal at Krondor is an excellent game but we're not going to get any traffic for a 10 year-old game - which I'm pretty sure you know.

Honestly - "ranting and raving" about Gothic? Show me where the site - not the forum members - but the site rants and raves about Gothic?

not sure if i am "trolling" or not. i do know that the reason i'm posting this is to express my legit, honest, sincere beefs with this site and make suggestions in the hopes of improving it

you would get traffic for Betrayal at Krondor. it has a huge rabid-fanboy-base (i'm just one of many, you see). you'd certainly get more Traffic for BaK then you would for games like Arx etc., Arx which hardly ever sold any copies

you already have forums for other dead games: so what's the big deal in adding one for Betrayal at Krondor lovers too?
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:46 pm
Dhruin

If you are not intentionally trolling then perhaps you might be a little more balanced in your posts. For example:

quote:
Originally posted by Navaros
...it is VERY LAME that you guys close any threads that criticize games/post a dissenting point of view about a game's merits.

I've never read that thread before but it doesn't take long to find this:

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Keep your cool, people.

While words such as 'sucks' hardly count as qualified critique, Navaros made a very detailed statement of why he didn't like the game which is his right. It's also his good right to publish his opinion on several boards. The population rarely will be exactly the same, even if many people frequent all of the above-mentioned forums. Attacking people is a no-go, so even if Navaros' statement about simple-minded people might not have been very gentle, it's not a valid reason for attacking him back in kind.

Now, why would one of our moderators write that if we intend to close any threads with a dissenting point of view? It looks to me like it was closed because the discussion was going in circles and becoming pointless.

Betrayal at Krondor gets mentioned in passing quite regularly as an old favourite but I can't remember a single thread that discussed it in depth, spoiler request or any of the types of threads required to sustain a forum. We certainly have some forums that don't have a lot of traffic but there's a variety of reasons why they are still there.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:21 pm
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i don't mean to offend you guys with my tone. i forgot to give you my usual disclaimer which is: i am a very brash, blunt, and pessimistic individual and hence my posts instincitively carry that tone.

now - if that thread was going in circles - so what? don't many threads go in circles? what's wrong with that? why is that a reason to close it?

back to the BaK issue: so what i seem to be hearing is - "since there is not enough interest, we won't do it". the flipside to that coin is: "we'd put up a BaK Forum if there IS enough interest"

therefore i challenge the Mods here to make a Poll that EVERYONE will see (ie: do not hide it in an obscure forum thread] and ask the question: "if this site had a Betrayal at Krondor Forum, would you post in it?"
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:30 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

If I may put my two cents in. I read the thread you pointed to, and for those of us reading that type of argument, it gets boring, unconfortable, but solves nothing once the two or three have made their positions clear. I don't think many people want to hear the same statement of points over and over, so the mods decide to lock.

As for the BaK forum issue. I loved the games, both of them. If you want to see if there is interest enough for a forum, you have the option of starting a poll of your own, post a topic in the CRPG's General forum and start talking about it. If there is enough interest, post a recruitment suggestion asking for interested memebers in the reqruitment forum and see what happens. Why do you want to yell at the team here for not meeting a need that has not to this point been demonstrated. We have talked about these games in several places here, but nothing came of it that would make anyone think it was in need of a forum. But they have given us several ways to start one if the interest is there. Just take advantage and see what happens. IMHO.
Mark Twain
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:55 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I am with CM. If you ran a poll and got enough yes answers then I am 100% sure that one day we'd wake up and find a that Santa had left BaK forum for us under the tree ... the part of Santa being played by the great team here - of course.

It is a much more civilized approach.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:44 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

@ 1st Post:

Holy Crap. Havent seen attitude like that here in a loooooong time.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:54 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

It's been a long time since I've played BaK but if I remember correctly it was a fairly linear game. You said that Gothic sucked because it was linear yet you somehow call BaK the greatest rpg of all time?

I don't really think we need a BaK forum. It would probably sit more quitely than the Deus Ex forum.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:15 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote

I think he's a really nice bloke.

Oooohh!!! A sarcasm detector, what a useful machine!
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:11 pm
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by cmckj50
If I may put my two cents in. I read the thread you pointed to, and for those of us reading that type of argument, it gets boring, unconfortable, but solves nothing once the two or three have made their positions clear. I don't think many people want to hear the same statement of points over and over, so the mods decide to lock.

in that case then why is this principle not applied CONSISTENTLY to all threads? i've seen MILLIONS of incidents on this site of repetitive praise for POS game like Gothic, Baldur's Gate 2 etc. etc. THAT gets much more repetitive, uncomfortable, and boring than a single thread which criticsizes Gothic - yet those pointless, repetitive threads are never locked.

i was not aware that the process for getting new forums on this site was for a normal member to make a Poll about it but now that you guys have "brought me up to speed" about how things work; i will do that.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:27 am
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
@ 1st Post:

I'm with you. When I read that, I did a double-take to make sure I was on RPGDot. I started to hang around here to get away from demagogueish posts like that which are par for the course on 90% of the other RPG forums...

And as for BaK. It was a decent game for it's time but there were plenty of other 90's RPGs which have withstood the test of time much better. They'd be more deserving of a forum.
Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:37 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Ditto konny666.
Mark Twain
Post Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:52 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next