Usergroups
PC vs. XBox versions...from one who has both
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

the arguments have probably already been posted, but i will re-iterate a few that are important to myself.

1. the editor. whenever i get to a slow spot in my gaming and have a little free time, i like to play with the editor and learn what you can and cannot get away with so that i can make a mod later on if i want. Morrowind is a great game, but like nwn, the game for somee is the editor. you can throw away all the content and make an entirely new rpg based on whatever you want.

2. patching & player made mods. the xbox will see a patch disk for morrowind, and i have heard that it might even contain some of the better made mods out there, but it can never compete with the number of mods available for the pc. every day, more updates and releases of mods come out. some of them are amazing and really improve the game experience. the chances are far less that they will reach the xbox version in a useful timespan (by the time they make it, xbox players will most likely be playing something else).

3. xbox version is somewhat blurred. actually - i think this is mostly the problem with the tvs more than the xbox. if you can hook it up to a decent monitor, i'm sure it would clear up quite a bit.

4. input devices. a keyboard and mouse will always be the superior devices until such time as we have controllers that respond to brainwaves. some peoplle do like joysticks for fps, but they do not have the precise control that is essential to some.

5 a final note about fps and videogames. some people who suffer from motion sickness cannot play fps on tvs. i am one of them. i can play a game like q2 on a computer for hours on end (39 hours straight once), but i can't play it for more than a few minutes on a console without getting sick to my stomach. motion sickness is a bitch and i am not sure why it is worse on consoles. this also only seems to appply to fps, not racers.
Post Sat Aug 17, 2002 3:30 am
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, it sucks that you have motion sickness.
Post Sat Aug 17, 2002 7:00 pm
steeda
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The people saying the PC has better sound in Morrowind are ignorant morons who haven't heard the Xbox version. Xbox decodes DD 5.1 on the fly, and Morrowind supports it. NO PC 3D GAMES use 5.1. Some sound cards like Audigy and SBLive 5.1 support 5.1, but ONLY in movies. They cannot do it in games. Dolby Digital 5.1 SMOKES EAX or any wannabe sound format that current PC games support. If you run Morrowind through a 5.1 compliant receiver/amp, you will be blown away by the awesome sound immersion. One of Xbox's strong points is its superior sound support. The PC version has better graphics if I analyze things, but if I think of which "immerses" me more into the game, Xbox wins by far.

MY PC:

P4 2.26/533 w/ 2GB PC1066 RDRAM
GF 4 Ti4600
Audigy Platinum
Sony F500 monitor

MY XBOX Setup:

Sony 57" HI-SCAN 1080i
Xbox
Denon AVR-5803
Klipsch 7 speaker + sub
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:15 am
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

Wow, you must be rich to have all that cool stuff.
Post Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:14 pm
steeda
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Nah, I just waste my money.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:12 am
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:02 am
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Xbox:

For most people smoother
For most people better looking
For most people more comfortable chairs/bench

PC:

For the lucky few smoother
For the lucky few better looking
Editor/Plugins
Easier to patch
Better controls

Conclusion:

Depends on what you like. For me, editor is a must. I dont care for graphics/fps, though I do upgrade my p3 450/256/tnt2 If you dont care for plugins. and you can handle the controller, go for the X-box.
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:13 am
Striz
Village Leader
Village Leader

You think its slow on your computer.

Intel CELERON 800 mhz, 512mb RAM, G4 Ti4200, 10fps staring at the ground, 1-3 walking around Balmora.. 'nuff said
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:17 pm
Mephisto
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Re: You think its slow on your computer.

quote:
Originally posted by Striz
Intel CELERON 800 mhz, 512mb RAM, G4 Ti4200, 10fps staring at the ground, 1-3 walking around Balmora.. 'nuff said

Dont want to be an ass, but that is REALLY not morrowind's fault. I really hope you were kidding, or you should get some SERIOUS advice. I got 5 fps in Balmora, with half your pc.
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:32 pm
Striz
Village Leader
Village Leader

I only changed one thing in video settings, and that was taking view distance from bottom to halfway thats probably why my fps is so low, even though my fps may suck, i cant stand being able to see only 4 feet infront of me
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 11:38 pm
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

mods for xbox

Having a 40" HDTV makes the XBOX version my favorite (especially since I somehow fried my motherboard and none of my other pcs will play Morrowind OR NWN).

The only thing I miss is the ability to build mods or download mods for the game.

I wondering if we will be able to build mods, write them to cds and use them on the XBox. I haven't seen anything on Bethesda about being able to do this when XBox goes live, but it would seem to be a doable thing as far as technology is concerned....all the pieces are there, only the software (the glue) to put it together is missing.

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:30 pm
sooth
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

i'm gone for a month and u guys are scratching each others throats. damn, some of you guys are hostile. CALL OF CTHULU!!!!!!!

MW is nothing without a new patch anyway. crashing, choppy gfx, static NPCs....Bethesda C'MON!!!!!!! we payed 50 bucks for this game.
Post Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:01 pm
FlipMoeJack
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Expansion

I haven't heard of an expansion for the X-Box version, so I'm guessing until the X-Box gets its own Expansion CD the PC is version of Morrowind is better than the X-Box version cause it has an Expansion. Har har.
Post Sat Sep 07, 2002 3:11 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4