Armika Road, How the .......
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Stevethemad
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Armika Road, How the .......

Ok had to stop myself swearing there, this is the first Wizardry game i played ( played numerous otherrpgs, eek to many ) and i seem to be doing fine until i leave the monastory, even then im fine until i reach the green patch , here i find 17 assorted monsters, well this time i got them spread out , so i could face 1 sorceroress and 5 rapier mordei, lol they have like 500ish hp ( lvl7 monsters ) and im lvl6 with 250ish hp group of 6 chars. How do i get any further than this without dropping the hardness level , playing on normal, Other than wandering around the monastoryuntil im lvl 7 ( yawn, 3rd time,yawn.....). I bet if i leave as lvl7 their will be lvl8s ,lol ( as it seems the monsters get tougher as i do )

Thanks for any suggestions

hmm, may help. each time i played i always have 1 door ( over lift bridge ) 1 wall plate to open ( emergency use only ) and 1 box left to open ( 3 latches ). Can i open thes yet?, can not find items for first 2 and last 1 my gadgeteer not good enough and knock wand does not work on it .
Post Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:49 pm
Rhea
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Armika Road, How the .......

The only thing you *can't* do in the monastery the first time through is open the door on the other side of the bridge. The means to open the door will come later.

As far as the Arnika Road, remember this:

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout."

In other words, you *can* actually run away from combat, and sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.
Post Fri Sep 06, 2002 4:06 pm
Jenny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'm new to Wizardry myself but I've played tons of other games, mostly FPS and RPGs.

I read several reviews of Wiz 8 before buying and they all said that difficulty settings were a bit skewed towards the more difficult. You might try dropping down to novice.
Post Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:32 pm
otter
One of Us

The Arnika Road intersection is famous for being tough. If you leave the Monastery at L5 (saving levels if need be) it'll be balanced. The monster-leveler then makes a jump and doesn't come out even again until you're about L11.
Post Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:03 pm
shai_aus
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yes, Wizardry 8 is definately one of the toughest RPGs I've ever played. That's why I like it. Even on the normal difficulty setting, you can be facing large groups of monsters that are several levels higher than you. Needless to say, the level of satisfaction that you get when (if) you finally beat them is unparalleled.

My advice? Run. Run all the way to Arnika. If you stay off the road and hug one of the walls on either side, you might be able to sneak past some enemy groups. If you see some enemies, right-click on them to see if you have a chance of winning.

Once you get to Arnika, things become significantly easier. There are safe places to rest, and the Higardi patrols and Lay Brothers lend a helping hand if you get into a fight.

There is a key to the "emergency use only!" box in a room with a statue holding a skull. You have to press a special spot on the statue (DON'Tstand in front of it, by the way), that opens up a secret panel with the key inside. As for the locked box, the Wand of Knock Picks will be very useful, but your one seems to keep fizzling (not working). So, give it to a person with a high Artifacts skill, and you might have more success.
Post Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:39 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Exit from Monastery and road to Arnika is one of critical moments in this game (later is Baijin etc.).
What I can say is that you can try following things:
- get more exp. points for your characters before you will try to follow Monastery-Arnika road (I know that monsters usually get harder with your levels, but it is not so easy, simply try it)
- experiment with your formation
- choose place for your fight (possibly somewhere in corner?)
- try to do as much damage before monsters will reach you (again choose place for your fight according this ideas), do you already have some area spells such as fireball? They could be very useful here.
Post Sun Sep 08, 2002 4:53 pm
Rangstrom
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I think that first trip down to Arnika is the best part of the game. I've created many strange parties just to see if I can get to town. The last set was a bard, a ranger and 4 bishops. Almost no fire power early in the game.

I got hit twice even before the fork to the chest, but survived--cleared the chest and rested. So far so good. Took off for Arnika hugging the cliff. At the open area with the teleport buildings I spotted 2 hordes of Mordei. Not sure of the number or level since I didn't want to get too close. They move too fast so I figured it would be death to try a run by them in combat mode so I started to backtrack(maybe find a corner and rest for awhile)

Unfortunately I got jumped by 6 acidvines and they really beat me up. I won but couldn't go back anymore or try to rest because I could see a group of crabs back toward the monastary. Crap. Well maybe the Mordei have moved on. They had--right into the pass torward Arnika. Now I getting desperate.

So I edged into the open area and let the mordei spot me. On they charged as I ran to the back of the teleport building. Waited a few moments then I ran out the other side and headed for the pass. I made it to the crossroads and was home free. What a great hour of gaming
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 5:21 pm
otter
One of Us

Yah, that's a good tactic for avoiding contact. It works anywhere that you can walk dragging mobs behind you around an obstacle that obscures them all, then running when they're behind it.
On Arnika Road, if you want to fight everything instead of running, my favorite spot is a little corner high up in the cliffs across the gravel from the Humpawhammer house. There you can be hidden completely enough to rest even if mobs are right under you in the valley, and if you step forward just a little, you can cone them down to one at a time. Perfect for things like the Piercing Pipes and any other cone-area spells.
My favorite advice for any road: Never Go Back. There are some spots that respawn as you go in either direction.
Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:43 pm