Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Ultima IX Ascension - Still largest gaming world for 3D RPG?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Ultima

Author Thread
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Ultima IX Ascension - Still largest gaming world for 3D RPG?

I still haven't come across a game with a larger 3D gaming world than Ultima IX Ascension.

Morrowind doesn't count given that's like a 3D version of Myst. I mean fully interactive gaming world.

I was hoping Gothic 2's would be bigger but it aint.
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:58 pm
Larbry
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Maybe Gothic 3 will be bigger?
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:24 pm
draculr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Size doesnt matter.
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:49 pm
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

yup, draculr said it, size doesnt matter
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:14 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Ultima IX Ascension - Still largest gaming world for 3D

quote:
Originally posted by oozle
I still haven't come across a game with a larger 3D gaming world than Ultima IX Ascension.

Morrowind doesn't count given that's like a 3D version of Myst. I mean fully interactive gaming world.

I was hoping Gothic 2's would be bigger but it aint.

Oh, ok, so the Ultima IX is the only RPG in the world with a 3d gaming world. Except for maybe Hexen 2... Strange, I could have sworn Morrowind was in 3D or is that 2.5D?... What does the ability to smash everything up/move/pick up have to do with 3D?
More importantly, why would it matter if Gothic was bigger? Gothic is FAR less as *INTERACTIVE* as Morrowind or Daggerfall. Are you trying to change the rules between the games?
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:19 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

I HATED MORROWWIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats all i have to say except what they already said size don't matter its the graphics that do
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:01 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

And why you do not count with Morrowind. Morrowind is bigger and world is interactive enough. Well you can not cut down trees, but you can pick up a lot of flowers for example. Why do you think that MW world is not interactive and therefor you can not count with it?
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:20 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy

Oh, ok, so the Ultima IX is the only RPG in the world with a 3d gaming world. Except for maybe Hexen 2... Strange, I could have sworn Morrowind was in 3D or is that 2.5D?... What does the ability to smash everything up/move/pick up have to do with 3D?
More importantly, why would it matter if Gothic was bigger? Gothic is FAR less as *INTERACTIVE* as Morrowind or Daggerfall. Are you trying to change the rules between the games?

I think you missed the point. He is saying that its the biggest world. Not its the only 3D world. I personally think Gothic 2 is pretty close, but I have only been playing G2 for a while and you know how game worlds seem bigger until you get used to them, so I could be wrong. I loved UIX & I love Gothic 2 so I guess it doesnt really matter.

I agree that Morrowind wasnt very good. Sure it was interactive within the civilian places, and it was huge. But the landscape was just so flat and boring. Gothic 2's landscapes are simply breathtaking. I just love running around exploring for hours and hours on end.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:24 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Shmaugus
I HATED MORROWWIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats all i have to say except what they already said size don't matter its the graphics that do

Your fault. Morrowind is great game :].
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:25 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote

I agree that Morrowind wasnt very good. Sure it was interactive within the civilian places, and it was huge. But the landscape was just so flat and boring.

What? I do not know, but it seems to me, that some people are just bitter about Morrowind.
Morrowind is not flat, it has many mountains btw. and there is so many lakes, nice corners and every area has its own flowers, trees, weather (and building).

Last edited by Danicek on Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:31 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote

I think you missed the point. He is saying that its the biggest world. Not its the only 3D world. I personally think Gothic 2 is pretty close, but I have only been playing G2 for a while and you know how game worlds seem bigger until you get used to them, so I could be wrong. I loved UIX & I love Gothic 2 so I guess it doesnt really matter.

I agree that Morrowind wasnt very good. Sure it was interactive within the civilian places, and it was huge. But the landscape was just so flat and boring. Gothic 2's landscapes are simply breathtaking. I just love running around exploring for hours and hours on end.

Now, how did I miss the point? He first stated that Ultima IX was the biggest, then said that Morrowind doesn't count because it's like Myst 3D, meaning that it is not very interactive. Then he said that he wished that Gothic 2 would have been bigger.
Now, why would it matter if Gothic was bigger, since it wasn't as interactive as Morrowind nor as Ultima? In Ultima IX, you could move/smash most things (I THINK), which you can't in neither of those other games.
Morrowind's landscapes were more gaphically stunning and had more variation than Gothic 1/2.

Danicek, get yer goshdarn quotes straight! No more skooma for you!
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:23 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The biggest gaming world I encountered? Daggerfall. Even if it wasn't poly 3D but inhabited by 2D sprites.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:52 am
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I think the gothic 2 world is huge, keep getting lost. As for Morrowind, who cares. That's gotta be one of the most overrated games of all time. I truly can't comprehend it's appeal. Everyone praises it, but I just can't seem to play for more then an hour without getting extremely bored. I have more fun clipping my toe nails. Gothic 2 on the other hand, I'll play till my eyes are bloodshot. Man, what a terrific game.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:53 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy

Morrowind's landscapes were more gaphically stunning and had more variation than Gothic 1/2.

I'm sorry but I have to completely dissagree on that point. The only variety that I can see in Morrowind is in the architecture of the cities. The landscapes are all mostly the same. With slight variations in texture on the ground and maybe a few pools/rivers or a couple of trees dotted around.

In gothic 2 you have:
(Items missing from morrowind are in bold

realbeaches, with actual sand
Massive valleys
Huge Cliffs & overhangs
huge rivers and waterfalls
graveyards
cave systems that are actually part of the world (Not a seperate cell)
realistic swamps
forests/woods

I am sure there are more, but I cant think of them.

And yes, I have seen the screenshots for the new Morrowind addon, and the forests in that dont quite come close to Gothic 2. And the so called mountains are just large balls of rock. Nothing close to the realism of the Gothic Geography.

P.S. I didnt mean it as an insult when I said you missed the point. I just meant that you were talking about the 3D-ness of the games, when this topic was about the size of the worlds, not their 3D-ness or interaction.[/b]

Last edited by Chekote on Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:40 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

mc_renzy you took the words right out of my mouth
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:41 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next