Gothic 2 Speculation
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Lizzy
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Gothic 2 Speculation

I want to start out by saying I am a newly addicted Gothic Fan, I’ve been playing for about a month or so and am now on my third run. I can’t wait for Gothic 2, although I imagine some of you have been waiting longer than me. With the German version about to be released I thought I would go ahead share some of my thoughts and speculations on Gothic 2. I’d like to warn you about possible spoiler’s ahead, if don’t want to take a chance, read no further. So anyway here goes…

After some research I feel pretty convinced that there are going to be four large guilds to choose from (as apposed to assuming three) and one secret guild. The two that are obvious are the Mercenaries that can be found at the Big Farm who later lead to Dragon Hunters and the Mage, first lower then upper who can be found at the Monastery. The next two I think tend to get mixed up and often confused for one. They are the Militia, later Henchmen who reside in the Harbor town and Lord Hagen’s Paladins. I am not sure what the precondition for Paladin is though, maybe knight? Last the 5th and secret guild being the thieves’ guild, you can guess who might be in it.

As far as the story goes from what I’ve read, you (the hero) find Xardas when you come to (or he finds you) in the ruins of the Sleepers Temple after months of isolation and he has a quest for you. He sends you to find out who’s behind the Evils that have besieged the Mine Valley.

The peasants and Farmers are tired of paying taxes to the King and stop paying (or revolt) and this upsets the town people who pay taxes. In return the town forms a militant group to harass and raid the peasants; latter henchmen are hired to collect the taxes that the peasants refuse to pay. In retaliation the peasants and farmers form groups of Mercenaries to protect themselves who later evolve into Dragon Hunters to protect them from the new threat of dragons.

Meanwhile you have the King who sends out Lord Hagen and his best Soldiers to the Mine Valley to collect ore and recon the Evil that has been plaguing the Mine Valley. Lord Hagen sends out a squad to Recon the Mine Valley that never returns and later Lord Hagen and his men find themselves besieged by orcs at the old camp castles (or you find them). If you choose to join the King, I have a feeling you’ll be knighted in the town and will then be asked to Find Lord Hagen, which will take you to Khorinis where you’ll find a whole new world of a dark, epic, climactic adventure.
quote:
The situation soon culminates in a full-fledged civil war…Our hero quickly recognizes that a hidden power is pulling the strings, playing off factions against each other. The only way to bring everything to a peaceful conclusion will be to stop whoever is behind all this.

It looks as if the hidden power was seated at the Mine Valley. So our hero sets out to purge the valley of whatever evil he'll discover there… and to look for Lord Hagen's lost recon squad.

When our hero returns to the Mine Valley, the landscape he knew has been destroyed. He nearly doesn't recognize the valley he once inhabited. Dragons have devastated the countryside and Lord Hagen's men are trapped at the Old Camp's castle. The orcs flooded the Mine Valley and are now besieging the castle. There is now way in and no way out. The castle's inhabitants are waiting for the inevitable attack of the orcs.

Dark creatures nobody has ever seen before populate the caves and plains of this dead world ruled by Dragons. They threaten to occupy all of Khorinis and destroy all life. Nobody seems to be able to put an end to the threat. Our hero will have to battle his way through this superior force to finally face the real aggressor…

I read somewhere that by banishing the Sleeper a portal was opened, which is letting demons from another dimension into the Mine Valley. As for the aggressor, I can only think of one person. The person I am thinking of was in Gothic 1 and towards the end he started to act really creepy. He seemed to be in on everything in Gothic 1 and after helping him out he has no reason to leave the Mine Valley. Perhaps his psionic powers and his new found library of information has turned him mad. After all, haven’t you learned anything from Gothic 1 about brotherhood members not being who you think they are?

Anyway, that’s my speculation. I hope I didn’t spoil anything for you. If I did, you should have stopped reading after the warning.
The story sure has promise. I’m pretty convinced that Gothic 2 will be the Best!

-Lizzy

Links to my sources (Thanks to RPGDot ) :

http://gothic.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10062&game=gothic2&l1=Game%20Info&infoID=86&pageID=317
http://www.piranha-bytes.com/gothic2/content_english/content_features.php
http://www.piranha-bytes.com/gothic2/content_english/content_story.php
http://english.bonusweb.cz/news/gothic2020117.html
http://gothic.rpgdot.com/index.php#12912
Post Wed Nov 27, 2002 7:26 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Welcome to RPGDot . You certainly put some effort into research - I've passively avoided reading too much about G2 so I can't really comment on your speculation, other than to agree it has the potential to be a classic. Early German reports are just around the corner...
Post Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:19 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I just hope that G2 actually is released. It would so bite to have another BoD2 happen.
Post Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:19 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

I just hope that G2 actually is released. It would so bite to have another BoD2 happen.

Gig, could you please elaborate on these concerns? What issues exist in releasing Gothic 2? What is BoD2? (Blade of Darkness -- a guess )

-elkston
Post Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:51 pm
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

It's out. I have it. And so far, apart from a few minor bugs (guards blocking doorways when telling you leave, bad collision detection) it works perfectly. A lot better than the first one, as the PC is more up to date.
Post Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:54 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by elkston
Gig, could you please elaborate on these concerns? What issues exist in releasing Gothic 2? What is BoD2? (Blade of Darkness -- a guess )

-elkston

Well... first I guess I should point out that I'm talking about the English version of G2. I don't speak German, which is a personal hang-up, I know. Still it makes me anticipate the English release.

There was a recent newsbit about Jo Wood having serious financial troubles and no one was sure if they would survive the week. As was shown with BoD2, just because a game is complete doesn't mean it will ever be released.

BoD2 was Blade of Darkness 2, you're right. Rebel Act, the company that made the wonderful game Blade of Darkness, closed it's doors only two short weeks before the published release date of BoD2. The game had already gone gold but RA simply didn't have the money to ship it, they chose to pay their employees instead. It was very admirable of RA to do the right thing by their staff but it still meant that this very anticipated game, which was finished, never saw light.

I'm fighting a sinking feeling of Deja-Vu about Jo Wood right now. That's why I brought up the BoD2 thing. Gothic was the game that brought me into gaming, it would bite for the franchise to stall this close to the end.
Post Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:03 pm
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I know what you mean. I normally play only English games, and Gothic is the only game I ever played in German. That's why I brought Gothic 2 as soon as it was available, hopefully it will help Jo-Wood. Hopefully the English version will be released, as this game deserves as wide an audiance as possible, but like yourself I'm doubtful. Gothic never achieved the success it deserves, so this could be Piranha Bytes breakthrough game. It really depends on the German public. Anno 1603 sold bucketloads, so maybe lightning can strike twice.
Post Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:22 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

@Gig:
JoWooD is only the publisher. If they aren´t able to fulfil their contracts PB can still negotiate with others.

@Lizzy:
Welcome to the boards!
Interesting speculations. I´ll leave the discussion to our other members, with Gothic II (hopefully) only 24 hours away.
Post Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:39 pm
RobKob
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

@Gig
I'm absolutely sure that G2 will be a major hit in the German speaking countries and that more than enough money will be raised for the international release. The game is VERY anticipated and praised as being one of the few German games which are good. So far the reviews are very positive and the reactions of those lucky enough to already own a copy range from pleased to enthusiastic. Also I think that many people ( like me for instance ) bought Gothic when it was already in the bargain bin and will now buy the successor as soon as possible.

@Lizzy
Hi and welcome to the forums.

I think the guild ranks are as follows:
Militia - Paladin ( city )
Mercenary - Dragonslayer ( farmers )
Novice - Mage ( monastary )
Like in Gothic there are three factions to join ( I think the Thieves Guild is no real faction ). There may be more ranks, e.g. High Mage.

In the intro Xardas teleports you out of the collapsed temple ( and out of your armour ) to his new tower in the New World. He'll tell you what happened since your accident and send you on your mission.

I like your theory about Lester. He IS creepy and I wouldn't put much past this loon. OTOH he's one of the "Four Friends", a benevolent force, and at the end they considered you a friend too. Btw somewhere I've seen a screenshot showing the quest log with a quest called "Die vier Freunde" = "The Four Friends".
Post Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:47 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by RobKob
Btw somewhere I've seen a screenshot showing the quest log with a quest called "Die vier Freunde" = "The Four Friends".

Just a guess. 4Players.de?
Post Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:37 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Gig,

Thanks for the run-down. I'm waiting for the English version as well (I'm in the USA ).

I do understand the bit about publishing, though. Wizardry 8 was finished by SirTech months before they finally got a publishing deal. It's kinda frustrating for gamers when you think about it. You have this game you're dying to play. You KNOW its complete and ready to be installed. You would send your money directly to the developers if you could --- but it just doesn't work that way.
Post Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:17 pm
Lizzy
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thank you Dhruin, Gorath and RobKob

Continuing with my original post, I just want to clarify some of my reasoning.

Gothic two is supposedly three times the size of Gothic, so I would imagine that more guilds would come along with the territory. Also some of the things that lead me to believe that are:

A) One of the facts listed in PCA magazine is that there are 5 professions. That could mean 5 classes, but that would be smaller than Gothic. I think it’s referring to 5 guilds.

B) Three of those guilds and six of the classes can be found here where it lists the following:

“There will be new character classes in the game, which are available through new guilds - the harbor town represents guild for militiamen (later henchmen), farm houses allow training for mercenaries (and later dragon hunters) and Innos monastery is home of magicians (first lower magicians, then higher magicians).”

No where does it list Paladin, however I’m sure Paladin is a Class, not the same as Henchmen though.

About Lester, I don’t really have any concrete details to back up this speculation, other than he owns the deed to the Mountain Fort* which would keep in the Mine Valley, he begins to act creepy towards the end of Gothic and Guru’s and Novices have a past of losing it, i.e. Cor Kalom, Baal Lukor and the Novice Nyrass. I could be wrong, I could be wrong about the guilds too, but it’s all just speculation.

* (I wonder if that will play out in Gothic 2)

Have a happy Turkey Day, even if you don’t celebrate it.

-Lizzy
Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:22 am
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I speculated on getting and playing Gothic II tomorrow. But; that ain't gonna happen. (English version).
Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 5:13 pm
RobKob
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well, the five professions are just that - professions. Before you join any guild you can become an apprentice ( or you have to ). You can become a blacksmith, an alchemist, a hunter and/or a thief. And if you join the monastary you can also become a rune crafter. Hmm, speaking of thieves, I still don't know whether the locks in G2 have static or dynamic combinations.
Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:34 pm