really hope Gothic 2 is 'more of the same'
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
ballistic
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

really hope Gothic 2 is 'more of the same'

howdy, I've read (here and on other sites) a few opinions on Gothic1 being 'slow', 'boring' and so forth, so I felt an urge to post mine.

Gothic 1 was to me a breath of fresh air in the CRPG scene. Very few games have combined an ingrossing adventure and character development.

Yes - it was slower than most rpgs. That, to me, combined with its unique setting, amazing creature AI, and graphics. was a plus. Take your time, take it in. The game did everyting to discourage running around with the sword drawn, and hacking everythin to death (although you could). We have plenty of those anyway.

One of the many amazing things about Gothic was the clever 'level' design. There was no difficulty slider, yet the game was as difficult or as easy as you wished it to be. You want it hard? Try to get into the Orc camp with level 2 char. You want it easy? try a few scavengers in the forest. (except for the very end where it became just plain easy combat wise, but that's not what Gothic was about to me).

I think it's time that we admit that there are different style of making a CRPG. Gothic 1 had the style that I, and evidently many others, liked. 'To each their own' I think is the phrase.

My point being, I just want more of the same from Gothic2 in terms of basic design philosophy.

Here's hoping Gothic 2's atmosphere is not compromised.

later.

p.s. Oh, yeah, I'm in the US and don't have the game yet, so I want to avoid any spoilers or hints and stuff, so I haven't read any of the Gothic 2 threads. don't post any spoilers here, thx
Post Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:32 am
ZappasGhost
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

@ballistic

Wise words.
And there is no reason to be afraid , because Gothic 2 is following the same great concepts like Gothic 1.
I personally enjoy every breath in the fantastic World of Gothic.
I have never played such a great RPG Adventure since G1 and SystemShock.

cordial greetings
ZappasGhost
Berlin , Germany
Post Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:23 pm
evilCKP
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It is as great as ever, only the story line is not as good as in G I(imho). But with a world 3 times as big as in G I, improved AI, around 150 different weapons, very nice spell effects and more responsive controls there is not much to complain about.
One minor flaw is (at least in the german version) that you can't recognize people by voice anymore, as a lot of characters have the same voice, which is OK as ther are so many characters and PB is a small team without so much ressources.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 10:54 am
ballistic
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

nice. sounds like Gothic 2 won't disappoint. wish they'd release it here sooner.

oh, yeah, about voices... in the English (US) version of Gothic 1 a lot of voices were the same, and were hard to tell apart (like what' you are saying about German Gothic 2). didn't bother me that much. all of them seemed to have New York (Booklin') accent (which was kina funny to hear it in the swamp)
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:21 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

A lot of the Brotherhood types had Southern accents -- I guess because that's the American accent people associate with religious zealotry (like TV preachers). But I think I read that the English voice actors are British this time, which should result in quite a different feel.
Post Sat Dec 14, 2002 10:23 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

I hope the storyline isn't going to be too bad. The best part of Gothic 1 for me was the story, and its non-linear realism. Morrowind was a big dissapointment for me, because it didn't really give any of the characters their own identity. I mean, you don't really "care" about a certain group of people. In Gothic 1, having played in all camps, my favorite was the Old Camp... it was the one I joined the first time I played. The characters really had their own identity, and in turn allowed me to assert my own. Just for fun I sometimes go back and murder all the people I've identified as being "bad." (Btw, I love robbing the guy in the morning in the old camp just as he starts going pee.LOL there is nothing like losing all your stuff and getting the **** kicked out of you with your jewels hanging out.) Gothic 1 was so real I felt as though I could actually identify characters as being friend or foe as a result of their mostly unique attitudes and daily habits.

Gothic's Loyal Gate Keeper, SirDeity.
Post Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:28 am
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

Being a level 33 paladin now, I can't even begin to think how Gothic 2 could disappoint anyone who liked the original. Everything has been improved! I could write a whole list here of G2's (IMO) superb achievements but these days I'm a tad short on time. :p In short, it's more Gothic than G1 was: highly improved, enhanced, more balanced, full of twists and surprises, and with far more options and player freedom. It's not Diablo2, it's not Quake45, it's not Reversi, it's Gothic Zwei! And you'd better warn the family/office/school before you start playing. :p
Post Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:36 pm
ixo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

g2

I think it's important not to heighten G2 too much.
It's 'better' than G1. Having only seen the demo of G2 - in German, this is the best way in which to judge it. I can't understand anything, it looks incomplete, the boundaries are a pain (and it was 400Mb?) and there is a distinct G1 reversion to everything, but it stops there when you just think of it as a Gothic 1 that was a demo and now you get to play the REAL THING - that's Gothic 2.

Monsters and animals still look average. So do their animations. It's not much different than before. But what has been improved is sound, the spaciousness, the more 'living' feel to the environment. I also get the feeling that the size of the game was more important than that detail I refer too.

The easiest way to describe it is where Morrowind never actually engaged the mind - everything was a mishmash of completely bizarre and unrecognisable objects and monsters and animals and downright bizarre NPCs. It was just plainly too alien.
Gothic 2 is just wholesome medieval. Everything is recognisable. It plays like a world you could know and get to like. Morrowind was like some nightmare gone the wrong way of being worse. Take that 'water' effect away and it would have been more barren than a desert on the moon.
And Morrowind was ten times bigger than Gothic 1 - the only difference was Gothic 1 had ten times in it where Morrowind had times more stuff you didn't entirely understand.

Gothic 2 is going to have similar faults to Gothic 1. Monster placing simply to keep you at bay. Monsters of differing classes all in proximity to one another. You've got sheep and wolves and rats and snappers and stingers, seemingly, all in one place simply to block certain areas.

Sometimes, I think getting rid of these multitiudes and replacing them with ONE BIG VERY DETAILED MONSTER would be more fun. But what you get is MANY VERY SMALL SEEMINGLY WEAK ANIMALS KICKING YOUR ASS WITH LITTLE DETAIL OR ANIMATION.

The other thing is weaponary, armour and item detail. This really should be modified to allow huge detail on what you have (examination detail). Oh look, I have found a hoard of treasure, but it looks like a cross between an apple and a plate.

But this is the very worst I can dredge up about Gothic in general.
The fact is, it's better than Morrowind and I can't exactly say why.

As long as Gothic keeps evolving they way it has with G 1 to G 2, then G3 is going to seriously put the wind up the rpg funnel.
[/code]
Post Tue Dec 24, 2002 2:08 pm