Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Goldenland has been released in russia !
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Lannister
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Goldenland has been released in russia !

Yeah, Goldenland has been released in Russia on the 12/09
Burut CT state they are right now working on a localized versions of this Isometric TB Game.
Yeah another TB isometric game ( apart from TTOEE) for me to play.
Hopefully they have a translation soon !!!!
can`t wait for it

L.
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:53 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

I don't know how good it will be. Honestly all my experience with CRPGs from Russia says there is unlikely to be many good things about this game. Screens look ok, but inventory is cumbersome and badly designed IMO. Char. development promises to be quite balanced but we'll see what we get. Alleged non-linearity usually turns out to be very boring in russian CRPGs - see Spell of Gold for instance.

I hate to seem pessimistic, but, honestly I have more faith in Grimoire of Devil Whiskey than in this one.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:59 am
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

Some food for thought: from what I've heard, there are no in-game videos in GoldenLand Not a single one... So, in terms of story discovering, what you play is what you get, or something like this Also, the game is slightly buggy at this point of time, so we might expect a patch to be released along with localized versions.

Now, the good news. Russian RPG community seems to be enjoying GoldenLand (GoldenLand 2 ?) more than Lionheart. Thus, I predict that the English language localization will be quite a solid title, something similar to BG1 (but definitely not BG2), and will be well worth checking out after we finish ToEE and/or DeusEx2.

As for the quality of games that come from that region, you should realize that their game development market is still much less mature than in US, with much lower production values (heck, not many people down there even have a normal internet connection), and I have yet to see an eastern European game that would put its makers on the equal level of fame with Canadian and American developers. There're exceptions of course, like Gothic series and a coming-soon FPS/RPG from a Ukrainian company - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

EDIT: Devil Whiskey is better than this one? Give me a break. Didn't you enjoy DD at all? If anything, GL will be no worse than DD.
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:30 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by NeverDark
Now, the good news. Russian RPG community seems to be enjoying GoldenLand (GoldenLand 2 ?) more than Lionheart.

I feel much better now Lionheart was not my cup of tea at all, and probably it is the biggest dissapointment of the last 2 years for me. Indeed reception of Lionheart for LH was not very warm in Russia (I'm Russian myself and I read Russian CRPG news and forums). But reception of almost every local CRPG was even worser. So... I don't know.

quote:
As for the quality of games that come from that region, you should realize that their game development market is still much less mature than in US, with much lower production values (heck, not many people down there even have a normal internet connection)

You bet. Broadband Internet is not very available there indeed. With reagard to local production - there were several games I enjoyed very much. In fact even recent Pirates of the Carribean and The I of the Dragion are very well made in terms of details, swift programing, design etc. So I'm not telling Russian games are bad, and I completely agree with your idea of developing market. It's just that I have not seen any good RPG from Russia yet.

quote:
Devil Whiskey is better than this one? Give me a break. Didn't you enjoy DD at all? If anything, GL will be no worse than DD.

You're talking to die-hard fan of original Bard's Tale series. I'm clearly biased Sorry.

DD... What do you mean? Dungeons and Dragons? Divine Divinity? I play PnP D&D as a master for 6 years and I enjoyed every D&D CRPG (I even finished Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor). As for Divinity I played it and found it amusing, though too Diablo-like in terms of combat. I just hate using 60 fire arrows per minute My mouse doesn't like it, too Divinity, though, was a fine game with a nice story, well-made world, Ultima-style object interaction and good humor.

And I assure you GL will not be better than Divinity. I don't know why, just gut feeling. I would *love* to be mistaken by the end of day. Let us wait just a little bit. Some reviews and few hours of actual play will clear the situation, I think.

Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:55 pm
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

LOL Stanthony, we have a lot in common! I read CRPG.ru too. In fact, it's one of the three gaming sites that I read on regular basis (the other two being Gamespot and RPGDot).

So let's hope GL will do well
Here in US, and everywhere else.

Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:11 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
LOL Stanthony, we have a lot in common! I read CRPG.ru too. In fact, it's one of the three gaming sites that I read on regular basis (the other two being Gamespot and RPGDot).

So let's hope GL will do well
Here in US, and everywhere else.

Hello, hello, sootechestvennik Nice to meet people who share use of Russian, at least for RPG purposes I also find Travel Inc. (http://www.travel.ag.ru) to be quite useful. So I use those two Russian sites.

ANd yes, let's hope for the best, of course.

Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:25 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Well, I'm just a simple mono-linguistic anglo-saxon so I can't debate the merits of Russian CRPGs with you two...but I certainly hope you're wrong, stanthony. Translation issues have plagued many (most?) Euro RPGs but there's such an enormous number of interesting CRPGs in development in Eastern Europe that it would be disheartening if none of them were any good.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:53 am
Lannister
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

@ you russian speaking people.

Thanks for the input. However i also sincerely hope, that goldenland is a good game.
Could you post some rough translations if russian reviews become available ? Just a sum up.
So we non-russian speakers can hear the first experiences with the game

Thanks in advance,
L.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:02 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

@Lannister - I will try to do some translation ok when reviews appear.

@Dhruin - LOL! Translation issues have plagued many English games translated into Russian, too. I play some games in Russian, because localized versions sell cheaper here (recently - IWD2 and M&M9). Problems are the same. It's just a matter of language.

I certainly hope I'm wrong, Dhruin Seriously. I wait for a good game each time there is a new RPG release in Russia. I know several guys in Russia involved in CRPG development - and they certainly have great ideas and great talents. Let's think they'll do ok.

Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:30 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Well this game is definitely on my “play” list. Com’n people it TB it can’t be that bad, unfortunately my Russian is not existent any more even though I studied for 6 or 7 years, so I will have to wait for translation.

I would really appreciated some impute from somebody who played this game for more than 5 hours.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:29 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

It goes off-topic from here, but still...
You studied Russian? Where? In school? University?
I absolutely understand you when you're saying that languages just get lost somhow during some time... I have to admit that I studied quite a few languages. Like:

French - 2,5 years. All in vain. Although I need it from time to time to deal with EU documents and stuff... My French is passive - can read smth with dictionary.
German - 3 years in high school. Can't remember a word, except for few lines from Schiller.
Latin - 1,5 years. Enough to be able to pronounce words. That's it.
Ancient greek - the only language after English I enjoyed. But unfortunately I mostly did self-tutoring... I needed this for my linguistic studies. It was great. Very interesting language. Lacks practical application, though
English - well... you see it. I know you hate it, too At least I'm able to use it. Occasionally.
Estonian - I live in Estonia and I can speak the language, but I don't like it. DOn't know why.

Whooo... Lots of useless information we got here

EDIT: Messed up with quoting feature.

Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:49 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Well, my dear stanthony I’m older than you more than a decade and I’m from the country often referred to as “the seventeenth republic of CCCP”, so up to my early teenage years I spend in Poland, actually to the mid 80’s. As you know the Russian language was mandatory (so was the military) at that time and I was a rebel who refused to learn. Too bad though because I met latter on very nice Russian guys and gals and I don’t have to tell you that eastern European girls look really nice.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:19 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Seth
Well, my dear stanthony I’m older than you more than a decade and I’m from the country often referred to as “the seventeenth republic of CCCP”, so up to my early teenage years I spend in Poland, actually to the mid 80’s. As you know the Russian language was mandatory (so was the military) at that time and I was a rebel who refused to learn. Too bad though because I met latter on very nice Russian guys and gals and I don’t have to tell you that eastern European girls look really nice.

Sorry, Seth, I didn't mean to say anything wrong. I'm myslef from the 15th republic of CCCP, that is Estonia, and I know that Russian language was mandatory everywhere around CCCP. But it's a fine language I think, and those are deeds of days long gone. When I awas a kid I felt sorry for Estonian children who had only one TV channel and only like 10 minutes of cartoons a day to watch. I didn't understand how can they even speak their language with so few information in Estonian around. Well... Now with 30% of Russian minority in Estonia situation is exactly the opposite. We voted for the EU yesterday, and we'll be in in May 2004, but hell... human rights here are sometimes as bad as they were in times of USSR. With russian second name it's almost impossible to find a decend job, for instance. You may say that that's waht we got... but still it's not good at all.

And yes, Russian/E.European girls are very sweet

Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:41 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

You didn’t say anything wrong, I just forgot to add smiles in few places.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:54 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

As I promised few words about Russian Goldenland reviews.

People commonly mention nice graphics, decent animation, and tolerable interface. Battles are turn-based, and are said to be made quite fun. Quests are believed to be strongest part of the game, both linear and non-linear or sidequests are there. World is huge, with three states (!) on the map. Journal is very clear. Role system is said to be simple yet effective, with several features like some growing abilities add special feats to your character etc. Battles are complicated, but not impossible. AI is decent and can surprise you sometimes. Some NPCs will join and will share XP with your character, but will act otherwise as NPCs in Lionheart.

Average ratings in Russia are about 80-90%.

So, all in all, it sounds like a fine CRPG. Maybe I was wrong by the end of the day, saying that there is no good Russian CRPG. I will give it a try as soon as I can, and then post a detailed review.

Just in case, here are few links (both in Russian, sorry)
http://igray.ru/reviews.php?rid=64
http://www.lair.ru/modules.php?op=modload&name=Subjects&file=index&req=viewpage&pageid=281

Post Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:24 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next