Sony PSP $250 Plus $50 for Games--Ouch!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Console RPGs General

Author Thread
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

Sony PSP $250 Plus $50 for Games--Ouch!

I see that Sony has announced the price and pack-ins for their PSP. This is a very cool-looking device that plays games, MP3s, movies and has some other functionality planned. The unit ships with a demo disk, a 32 MB Scandisk-Style memory card, and a free Spiderman 2 movie (for the first 1 million buyers). I was interested in the unit until I saw the $250 price tag ($60 more than the Japanese release) and the $50 per game cost. I have purchased every major console or handheld release at launch since the SNES came out (I think that was in 1991), and I have this one on pre-order, but I think I'm going to pass.

It's a cool device, but I don't want to spend $250 for a handheld game machine, even though it seems to have two RPGs planned for launch. If I buy the machine, two games and a warranty (because I suspect that this thing is pretty delicate with its disk drive and all those moving parts) I'll spend at least $400.

Actually, I did a little research and learned that all the retailers are engaging in a little consumer gouging by forcing you to buy a PSP and three games for $400 as the only purchase option (and add a warranty for $50, plus $20 in tax on $400 where I live for a total entry price of $470). I was on another forum where someone very astutely pointed out that you can buy a decent PC for around $500 or two home consoles and a load of used games.

Gaming is already an expensive hobby, and I think this is just more than I want to spend for portable gaming. I'll wait two or three years for the price drop and to get the games a LOT cheaper. Plus, the CEO of Sony rather arrogantly dismissed a problem with one of the buttons sticking because it is too close to the screen as something the consumer will just have to learn to live with.

So, anyone buying this thing at launch? I have a Nintendo DS that I just got and I love it. I'll stick with that for now.
Post Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:00 pm
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I have never cared about handhelds. Give me the powerhorse consoles any day. Better buy in my opinion, and there are more games for it as well.
Post Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:43 pm
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

From the preliminary reports I have heard, this has a good chance of being crap. Stick with the gameboy if you want a portable system. It is a waste of money to get it at launch, even if you do want it. It'll drop in price fast after a short while, and by that time you'll have a better chance at guessing if it is going to bomb like the last hand held Sony tried, and almost every handheld other than the gameboy.
Post Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:28 am
Salad Fingers
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

hi dad!i think that the PSP is way 2 overpriced for a handheld device. i mean i like the handheld games and all but i think it is defenitely way wayoverpriced.
Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:01 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

The only way I will buy a PSP is if:

1. You can write your own programs and run them from the SD cards.
2. Someone makes 100% perfect emulators for Snes/N64/GBA/PSX etc

I recently purchased an OQO hoping to use it for this purpose, but it turns into a fireball when you run emulators on it! (I didnt just buy it for that, it is for work too).
Post Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:40 pm