View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712
In case you did not notice, I am one of the original workers from the team.

Oops sorry

A Blattcrawler isn't the same as a Minecrawler, it a new animal from the addon, some kind of big locust, so "Leafcrawler" is probably the correct translation.

Why do you have the restriction that you can't add anymore letters? Is this something from the gamecode. That the english sentence can't be longer than the original german or that the new translation can't be longer than the previous english one. And if it's the last why and isn't there a way to get around this? Because this is certainly not helping the corrections.

Just found a hex editor, so I can help. Is there some way that we can split things up. So you don't have to do all the work?

//edit: my hex editor can insert more letters and so increase the length of the sentence. Why do you say it can't, will this cause problems in the game or what? Second do you know where the latest file is with translations?
I can't see why adding more letters can't (in most cases it's only one or two btw). I'll start replacing right away.

I know that many people already moved on, but I want it for myself. I won't buy another NotR when an english version comes, but I don't want a translation with a lot of minor errors that really start to annoy me.

//edit another time: I'll take the zipfile from page 9 with the new texts and start replacing after that, I'll see what was posted after that.
Xerxes: maybe we can use pm or msn or something to get this thing rolling.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:36 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

You can not add to the length of the file since it will crash. The file would need to be re-parsed and that is a very complex process which Cothyso did.

Unfortunately, many of the English translations sentences were short overviews of the original German text. It is very difficult to put in the correct clear English translation within the simplified Mod translation within the space given.

I have 352 KB of text lines, of which the Satarus is 51 KB that I am doing. About 1/4 is what ends up placed in. Still a lot of work. I really wish I could learn how to use that parser spacer program. i hate the limitation and slow speed of raw hex editing.

I regret to find many mistakes, but must live with it. One example is where he says:

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_Raven_14_05
The temple resists. We must stop Raven, before he get into the sanctum.

Even though the temple resists, we must stop Raven before he can get into the sanctum.

The temple resists. We must stop Raven, before he gets into the sanctum
X

It actually should say the temple "defends itself" = "resist". But all the text must fit within the space given.

The last line is what will fit into the English Mod, though the second line is more accurate.
----------------------------
Alot of stuff. I guess there is a Leaf crawler? Co-ordination can be difficult until a final draft can be decided. plus hex editing there can be no mistakes.

Check this out about 15% of Satarus dialog finished (one of the biggest files):

Saturas

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADW_EXIT_14_00
May Adanos protect you.
May Adanos be with you.
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_14_00
Thank Adanos. There you are at last. We thought you wonīt show up anymore.
Thank Adanos. Here you are at last. We thought you wouldn't show up anymore.
Thank Adanos. Here you are at last. We thought you wouldn't show up at all.
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_14_02
You went through the portal and we followed you. Shortly after, there we arrived here.
You went through the portal and we followed you. We arrived here shortly after.
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_14_03
You were not here. We are already here for a few days.
We have been here for a few days but we couldn't find you.
We've been here for a few days but couldn't find you.
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_14_05
After we couldnīt find you anywhere, Nefarius tried to figured out, what might gone wrong. He act very helpless.
Nefarius tried to find an explanation of your disappearance but with no success yet.
Nefarius tried in vain to find an explanation for your disappearance, but to no avail.
X
DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_14_06
Oh well. You are here now and you can start with your work.
No matter what, you are here now, so you can start your work.
Oh well, no matter. You're here now and can start your work
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_was_15_00
What happens in the meantime?
What has happened in the meantime?
DECLINE
Meanwhile, what has happened?
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_was_14_01
We find a lot of perceptions.
We've made a number of discoveries.
DECLINE
We've found many discoveries.
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_was_14_02
The earthquakes seem to become more STRONG. We are no longer far away from their center.
The earthquakes are getting stronger. I suspect we are near their source.
DECLINE
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_was_14_03
The builders of these old constructions had established here a city earlier, that we discover so far.
Centuries ago, the ruins around us were once a great city, established by an ancient people.
DECLINE
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_was_14_04
For any reason their culture was destroyed.
Mysteriously, their entire civilization was destroyed.
DECLINE
And their entire civilization was destroyed
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_was_14_05
At the moment we could only speculate why.
Why this happened is not yet known. For the moment we can only speculate.
DECLINE
For the moment, we can only speculate why.
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_Raven_15_00
What`s up with Raven?
%
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_Raven_14_01
In Ravens letter they talked about a temple and that he triesto get in.
In Raven's letter, they spoke about a temple, and he's been trying to get into it.
DECLINE, Xerxes712
In Raven's letter, he mentions a temple he's been trying to break into.
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_Raven_14_02
???We are of one voice, that it could be a temple of Adanos, and Raven tries to desecrate it.
All of us are convinced it is a temple of Adanos. If Raven gains entry, it will be desecrated.
DECLINE
All of us are convinced it's a temple of Adanos. If Raven gains entry, it will be desecrated.
We are all convinced it's a temple of Adanos. If Raven gains entry, it will be desecrated.
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_Raven_14_03
The earthquakes are obviously the result of unsaintly conjurations, constantly hit against a powerful spell.
The earthquakes are obviously caused by a neverending conflict between a series of unholy conjurations and a powerful spell.
The earthquakes are obviously the result of unholy conjurations constantly hitting against a powerful spell.
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_Raven_14_04
The Gates of the temple are clossed by magic and exactly this spell resurrect the stoneguardians.
The same magic that has sealed the gates of the temple, has resurrected the stone guardians.
DECLINE
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_Raven_14_05
Even though the temple resists, we must stop Raven before he can get into the sanctum.
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_RavenAim_15_00
What is Raven up to in the temple?
Why is Raven so eager to enter the temple?
DECLINE
Why does Raven want in the temple?
X

DIA_Addon_Bodo_14_01
We only know, that it is a matter of mighty artefact, that has a connection to Adano and Beliar.
It's a matter of a legandary artifact, which serves as a connection between Adanos and Beliar. This is all we know.
We only know, it's a matter of a legendary artifact that has a connection to Adanos and Beliar.
X

DIA_Addon_Bodo_14_02
(furious) We could assume , that he is up to no good ...
(furious) However, we can assume that he's up to no good ...
(grim) We can only conclude this is not a good sign...
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_RavenOnlyBaron_15_00
Raven is only a former ore baron, not a mage. How could he make such a conjuration?
%
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_RavenOnlyBaron_14_01
Perhaps it is not him. Perhaps a schismatical mage, who get his orders from him.
Perhaps it's not him, but a schismatical mage who is under his orders.
Perhaps it's not Raven, but a disloyal mage who is acting under his orders.
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_RavenOnlyBaron_14_02
Either way, we MUST abvert this evil.
abvert => stop
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_missingPeople_15_00
Do you have found a trace of the lost guys?
Did you find a trace of the lost guys?
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_missingPeople_14_01
We found the corpse of a fisher only yesterday. It lies in one of the ruins in the east.
We found a corpse of a fisherman yesterday. It's somewhere inside the ruins in the east.
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_missingPeople_14_02
It seems as if it was a fisher from Khorinis. You should regard it by yourself.
It seems as if it was a fisherman from Khorinis. Maybe you should take a look.
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_wastun_15_00
What do we do next?
What should we do next?
What's next for us?
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_wastun_14_01
WE stay here and study the old culture further on.
We are staying here and continue our study of the old culture.
WE continue our study of the old culture here.
WE stay here to study the old culture further on.
X

DIA_Addon_Saturas_ADWStart_wastun_14_02
The old scrolls of the builders hold a lot of secrets we have to disclose - if we want to understand what happened in the past.
The old scrolls of the builders record the happenings of the past, although there are many secrets we haven't uncovered yet.
The old scrolls of the builders hold many secrets we have yet to disclose - if we want to understand what happened in the past.
X
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:34 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
You can not add to the length of the file since it will crash. The file would need to be re-parsed and that is a very complex process which Cothyso did.

How about contacting Cothyso about this, because some translations will still be crappy because of that. I'll ask Cothyso about this. Maybe he is willing to help us, if we change everything and that he will just make it the right size.

/edit: I pm'ed Cothyso, but do you have is email, because it looks like he haven't been here for a long time, so I don't know whether he will read it and he hasn't made his email publically visible on the site.
Post Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:50 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

I know of no way to contact hime lately. Did you know the original German virgin files are long enough to place the translations into? It may be easier to do that and ignore the Gothicstarter way.

I have figured out how to increase the length of some of the lines by exam the hex structure. There is a header in front that tells it when the text starts, how long and a ending hex. I succeed in making five more spaces (it all counts). But then the following WAV file for voice would not play (the EXE did not crash so I am on the correct track). The total file length is the same, I was 'taking' from one line empty spaces and 'adding' it to the shorter one.

I believe somewhere in the file.vdf the data is stored how long the total file length is for the gothic.exe to read it in. This is the key.

If I just increase by inserting into the file one space, it crashes hard.

I am looking into the Mod Development Kit readme. It talks about how to "re-parse" these files so longer lines can be added. Spacer.exe

Also educating myself off the Net on how files are structured and read in.

It really sucks not to be able to use the better translations. As it stands, only about half of the typos can be incorporated.
Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:42 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
I know of no way to contact hime lately. Did you know the original German virgin files are long enough to place the translations into? It may be easier to do that and ignore the Gothicstarter way.

But what's the catch? I'm not really into modding, so maybe I'm asking a very dumb question now.

Btw is there a way to easily combine our work, because otherwise I will just watch and let you do your job, because you obviously now more about it than I.
Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:40 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

The huge catch is that you must replace not only the new Add-on text, but the entire original Gothic 2 text as well. That makes for one huge job!

Other is you lose Xardas script in the beginning which translates what was said in the opening movie about the temple of Beliar and the stone guardians. Cothyso made a special script to introduce that.

Else, it is just a simple matter of placing in a few files (ou.bin, Ou.csl, gothic.dat, menu.dat). That is the Hard Hack version and does not use the Gothic Development Mod Kit at all. So anyone can make changes easily. Plus you only need the German game period, except unless you want the Engish voice pull off the voice.vdf file and replace the German voice file.

Infact, you can make your own ENGLISH voice recording for the Add-on using the Mod Developemnt Kit -that is basically what the Polish and Russian version did. We just need a few people to speak the lines.

Of course this must be made completly from scratch (about 6 month project for one person) . I have a copy of the orignal German and English scripts (plus corrrections). Right now I am trying to see how I can change the G2ATT.mod file to make it longer without crashing first. (Save alot of time!).
Post Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:39 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

I figured out how to use the GothicVDSF tool to decompile/recompile the .vdf mod into its 5 files that it over rides. That is nice.

I can load up a ZenGin file using Spacer II such as the message headers but have no idea how to change the file inside (it lets me view whats in the archive).

The instruction at WoG is in German. I do not know how they made the files such as OU.cls or OU.bin. I thought the tool would let you modify the files...after all, how did they put in the custom lines for the Mod Diccurric?

Well Sem, it seems no one else is interested in this so far. Damn so close.
Post Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:08 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

That's just too bad. I just emailed Tiamat, who also worked on the mod, his email is also stated for support. Maybe he can help us or knows to email of Cothyso. Just waiting for his reply. Maybe that will shine new light on this littel project.
Post Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:57 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

It seems that the new version of the translation mod won't come out anywhere soon.

All the dumb files are ready and only need to be packed, but I'm not getting any response from Cothyso who agreed to pack the files.
Post Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:31 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Ask at WoG if somebody would be kind enough to pack the files. Do you know how much time this takes? A few minutes or several hours?
Post Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:36 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Hours, it seems that you need to write a complete script for it or something. And I don't know anythong about that process, so explaining to somebody else what needs to done is pretty impossible for me.
Post Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:57 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

What about the other people who helped with the mod. Can one of them do it or does he know somebody who can?
Post Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:54 pm
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Tiamat and Cothyso are the same and one person. In order to make them lines 'fit' in the mod as is, it needs scripting and he is the only one I know that can do it.

The most I can do is hex edit the file, but making it fit in the original space is a big let down. So, I really hope that Admin from JoWooD board Vossi is correct that a English release will be announced in April.

I know that Tiamat had to put in several much hours into making a custom scriptor to make it work. Not easy job.
Post Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:26 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

It's just so strange. Cothyso/Tiamat was very helpful and even gave me the dumbfiles. After I finished he notified me that it could several weeks because he was busy with another game.
So a few weeks ago I asked him how things were going, just curious you know. But he just isn't responding. SO frustrating.
Post Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:04 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Well, they were busy with their game indeed. But I think that it he would be asked, maybe send a small polite reminder again, he will reply. Of course, not sure as to when, or if, he'd be able to do it, but maybe he can then give a sort of "FAQ" as to how to do it?

This site here, http://www.realmsoftorment.net/forums/, has the forums to the project he's working on. On that site also used to be the forum dedicated to G2 add-on translation, where we used to discuss what and where and how. Perhaps you can send a PM to him there and he will see it faster then the e-mail

I think that the files what were edited the last and what were stored somewhere by KiwiBoy were "complete", that is the language errors were flashed out and most meanings were placed together as well. So they can then be used as a final version, complete translation. I need to find out where these files were and see if I can access them, if I could then I would read over them all again just to be sure that all is indeed done. If we are to give then the complete files to Tiamat/Cothyso, maybe he could script them together, or at least be able to tell to, for example, Xerxes as to what to use and how to do this.
Post Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:45 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next