View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Ultima

Author Thread
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Ultima IX questions?

This is my first time making it to clense the first shrine,
I gave up on the game the in the first month it came out due to all the bugs.
Things are going fairly well, I did have to activate Fly to get the Rune and Heart, had maybe 2 crashes to desktop no big deal really so far its good.

Is there a way to turn off the respawning monsters?

I ended up with an extra key from Despise, I got all four colored stones so used all keys releated to that, also behind the crooked shield.
I have gone back thru to double check and read two walkthrus to make sure I didnt miss anything.
Maybe its from searching the Britian area I dont think so, thou.
Any ideas?

I was going to head out to Buccaneer's Den, soon.
Do need to try to explore the whole island before I go to Buccaneer's Den?
I have a huge supply of potions, scrolls and regents I have collected and stored in LB's Castle in the Mage/Pentagram room.
No way I can bring all this with me, im guessing we can come and go to the Castle or should I try to move house?

I got the Glass and Fire swords I have been using Fire cause I was actaully worried the Glass was fraggle or something.
I have never played a game that gave one of the most powerful swords (it fills the weapon bar completly) in the first level, should I be using the Glass?
Appoligies that seems like a lame question but if it only has 10 uses or something I would want to save it till I really need it

I didnt mean to ask so many questions

Thanks for any tips
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:02 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Re: Ultima IX questions?

quote:
Originally posted by Acleacius

I dont remember the monster respawning...

quote:
I ended up with an extra key from Despise, I got all four colored stones so used all keys releated to that, also behind the crooked shield.
I have gone back thru to double check and read two walkthrus to make sure I didnt miss anything.
Any ideas?

nope sorry.

quote:
I have a huge supply of potions, scrolls and regents I have collected and stored in LB's Castle in the Mage/Pentagram room.
No way I can bring all this with me, im guessing we can come and go to the Castle or should I try to move house?

You dont have to move the stuff, you will have a chance to go back later. But I cant remember exactly how long it is until you can go back.

quote:
I got the Glass and Fire swords I have been using Fire cause I was actaully worried the Glass was fraggle or something.

I dont remember completely but I think you are right, the glass sword will break...

I remember thinking the same thing about it being so powerful, so I saved and tried to use it, expecting it to break, and I am pretty certain it did.
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:12 pm
Thepal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Ultima IX questions?

quote:
I did have to activate Fly to get the Rune and Heart

That's actually never happened to me. By the way, you are using the latest patch (1.18 ), yes? There is also a 1.19 fan-made patch that fixes some other issues.

quote:

Nope.

quote:
Any ideas?

You'll find extra keys around the place probably. If you've been everywhere, don't worry about them.

quote:

You can return to Britain later. Just take what you think you will need (you don't actually need anything. So take what you want. I usually don't use potions, etc). Make sure you bind one of each scroll from the first circle of magic into your spellbook before going though.

quote:
I have never played a game that gave one of the most powerful swords (it fills the weapon bar completly) in the first level, should I be using the Glass?
Appoligies that seems like a lame question but if it only has 10 uses or something I would want to save it till I really need it

Glass Swords break the first time you use them, but kill whatever it is you hit.

Ultima 9 - Infinity Eternal
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:23 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"you are using the latest patch (1.18 ), yes? There is also a 1.19 fan-made patch that fixes some other issues. "

Yes both.

"Is there a way to turn off the respawning monsters? Nope."

&*&%$#@^%**$^*#@*&^%$#@

Reguarding the Silver Serpent, I have seen a warning if you retun it, the guild wont sell you any more stuff in Buccaneer's Den.
Is that until Raven brands you or even then do they refuse to sell to you?
That would suk!

Do I need to bring the Heart with me when I leave Britain, its just inventory space is limited?

Thanks again for the tips.
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:42 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Yeah, they still won't sell to you. But they aren't selling anything that you can't find elsewhere.
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:35 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Im currently Apprentice in 1 hand, bow and staff.
Keller in LB's castle offer to train me a second time, but said I wasnt agile enough to come back, does this mean he trains Journeyman level bow or staff, since he mentioned agile?

I tried to search for Keller and these others with no luck, I also checked walkthrus.
I just was feeling guilty about asking so many lame questions

Thanks again
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:09 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

For training:

Fists
(All levels) - Phineus (Buccaneer's Den)

One Handed
Level 2 - Keller (LB's Castle)
Level 3 - Old Jak (Valoria)
Level 4 - Lyssa (Serpent's Hold)

Two Handed
Level 2 - Duncan (Moonglow)
Level 3 - Duncan (Moonglow)
Level 4 - Book (Underwater City)

Staff
Level 2 - Peg Leg Joe (Paws)
Level 3 - Raphael (Trinsic)
Level 4 - Bakura (NW of Yew)

Bow
Level 2 - Leon (Britian)
Level 3 - Raleigh (Yew)
Level 4 - Iolo (Iolo's House)
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:01 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Those are all the ones I found as well, thanks Val.

Which is why I cant figure out what Keller is offering me.
I wish this was Gothic I would just add a Dex point and find out what is up with him, since it doesnt showup in any guide and I dont jack about UIX, oh well I will learn to live in ignorance

I read while looking this stuff up, that you can return after each dungeon, thats a big relief.

Thanks again
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:46 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

It's probably just a poorly written line of dialogue then.
Post Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:53 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"It's probably just a poorly written line of dialogue then."

It must be I went back at all 3 levels of Dexterity and got the same line, "Your not agile enough for me to train you".

Create Regents spell is giving me trouble, I guessed when you cast it you would type in the Initals for the required Regent (like you do at teh shrines).
I just cant get it to work at all, I cast it and get sounds effects and flash but no Regents.
I tried click on the Spellbook on the required Regent name and picture.

Help

Thanks

Edit

Serpent Venom good for anything?
I cant really find anything on it other than the prostitue.
Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:04 pm
Moonyeti
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes, this happened to me, too. He trained me the 1st time I spoke to him (and my dex was high enough) but when I came back and talked to him later he kept saying my agility wasn't high enough, even when it was maxed out at the end of the game. My guess at the time was he was supposed to be telling me he can't train me any more, but was saying this instead.

Just a guess, tho.. and as for the reagents, it depends on the terrain you are in, you can't choose what to make. Most spots give you nothing at all. I was pretty sad about this, as it took me a LONG time to figure out how to get nightshade in any real quantity!
Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:21 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"it depends on the terrain you are in"

Now that is just plain weird

Would you or anyone please share your info on where to spwan what, as this isnt covered in any guide (I have seen, im cross referencing 4)?
One guide points out where all the Mandrak Roots are im guessing these are very rare also?

At least that gives me something to try, thou really sucks cause it could mean there isnt enough Regents to get all the spells, had I had any clue I obviously wouldnt have been binding every spell as I go

Thanks
Post Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:56 am
Thepal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

There are more than enough reagents around to bind all the spells.

As for Create Reagents, I've never gotten it to work no matter what terrain I was on. I always got Black Pearls. Extremely annoying

Post Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:26 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

" it took me a LONG time to figure out how to get nightshade in any real quantity"

Any chance you would share that info, please.
I need NigthShade

Thanks
Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:42 am
Thepal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Nightshade is invisible. You need to use the Ethereal Sight spell to see it.

In LB's castle there is actually some nightshade in the chests in the Mage's room. It's invisible, but you can find out where it is by holding 'x' (will say 'nightshade' if the cursor is over some)

Post Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:19 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next