Neverwinter Nights 2: 3 Videos with Commentary @ IGN
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Neverwinter Nights 2: 3 Videos with Commentary @ IGN

IGN has scored the first videos of NWN 2 in action. The videos contain gameplay footage and commentary by Obsidian Entertainment CEO, Feargus Urquhart. Each large video (<100Mb each) focus on different appects of the game. The first is an introduction and about character creation. The second covers the tutorial, the new engine and all about companions. The third relates information about the tool tet, interiors, combat, and magic. Read the initial but very detailed commentary and download the videos
Post Tue May 02, 2006 7:37 am
aboyd

nice article & vids!

Awesome. Looks like they've stolen the idea of character quirks from Arcanum. I thought that was a great idea.

I couldn't view the videos normally. I had to scrounge through their source code to get the URLs for direct viewing. Here they are, in order:

http://streamingmovies.ign.com/pc/article/704/704146/neverwinternights2_01_050106_wmvlow.wmv

http://streamingmovies.ign.com/pc/article/704/704146/neverwinternights2_02_050106_wmvlow.wmv

http://streamingmovies.ign.com/pc/article/704/704146/neverwinternights2_03_050106_wmvlow.wmv

-T
Post Tue May 02, 2006 7:47 am

txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Thanks - I couldn't get to the videos otherwise.

I really like the look of pretty much *everything* I see - I just hope that they deliver on a compelling story and solid performance from start to finish. If so this will be a fantastic game.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue May 02, 2006 12:15 pm
slak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

This got me really hyped up for NWN2!
Post Tue May 02, 2006 4:57 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

HEY!

When did they add selectable party members??? I sort of gave up on that possibility early in development when the dev's basically refused to allow it. Talk about a big win.

How much control do we get? Can we choose spells, weapons etc for the NPC's?
Post Tue May 02, 2006 6:03 pm
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/674/674385/vids_1.html

This is the video page and it was linked off the article three times. You can download the movies for WMP or Quicktime. Or you can view them on streaming video.

On the companions, if you watched video 2 (I think), you will see that you can individually control each one and, using the pause feature, strategically position them by moving each where you wish them to go. You can equip items to them individually as well.
Post Tue May 02, 2006 6:04 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Kalia
http://media.pc.ign.com/media/674/674385/vids_1.html

On the companions, if you watched video 2 (I think), you will see that you can individually control each one and, using the pause feature, strategically position them by moving each where you wish them to go. You can equip items to them individually as well.

I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw that. If we get full control they might as well call this Baldur's Gate 3. If this is what I'm hoping it is this can make the difference between a single player game that sorta sucks and something totally amazing.
Post Tue May 02, 2006 6:12 pm
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

It looks to be the case!

"Now fans of Neverwinter Nights will remember the party system, which, if we’re honest, left a little to be desired. Your fellow adventurers were pretty much autonomous beings outside of your control. In a fight it was almost like you were having a scrap with some other people who just happened to be in the same scrap with you, even though you were all fighting a common enemy. That’s all changed now as you have complete and total control over anyone who joins your party. You can do everything to any party members that you can do with your own character, from choosing which weapons they have ready to deciding what they do in battle.
And while we’re on the subject of party combat, when the game is paused you can still issue commands to your party which they’ll carry out when the game is unpaused. Though it’s still in development, its hoped that you’ll be able to stack up three commands per character which should introduce a nice tactical aspect to the combat."

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5397&page=3
Post Tue May 02, 2006 6:19 pm
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I wish that people wouldn't talk about party control as if it's something brand new, but unfortunately, it has been so long since a party-based RPG came out that it seems like a novel idea now.
Post Tue May 02, 2006 8:18 pm
Lucky Day

They've been talking Companions for a long time. There was even a point where they said henchmen were going to be removed but they are being kept in likely for back compatibility purposes.

I'm curious for what we can do with this in multiplayer building.
Post Tue May 02, 2006 8:26 pm

ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I don't remember anyone saying full control. Yeah its not new or novel to the genre but its definitely new for NWN.

Just referring to henchman as 'companions' has inferred almost nothing. This is pretty significant for NWN single player.

Sometimes I wonder about peoples negativity? This is big stuff - we havent seen party control like this since the BG series, POR2 and ToEE. Revolutionary? Hardly. But significant as hell.
Post Tue May 02, 2006 8:38 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Well, in KotOR you could fully control an action queue for each of the three memebers of the party ... but that is nitpicking, the bottom line is that this looks glorious!

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue May 02, 2006 8:50 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

@Todd, we've known for a long time there would be a party of up to 4 (plus summons or whatever, I assume) with full control, so excuse us if we aren't quite so excited by that.

At any rate, the party is a welcome return and does indeed hint at a "Baldur's Gate in 3D". The videos look great - can't wait. Oblivion is all very well for some 3D dungeoneering but I'm looking forward to a more "traditional" approach to roleplaying.
Post Tue May 02, 2006 9:33 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Remember - a lot of the guys at Obsidian Entertainment previously worked in Black Isle, which created games like:
- Planescape: Torment
- Fallout series
- Baldurs Gate series
- Icewind Dale series

.. Yes, I expect a lot from NWN2, and these vids haven't lowered my expectations. Still, they have to make the sequal to a game they didn't originally make, limiting their options a bit, so I try to keep my expectations as low as possible so I won't get dissappointed. A bit hard with all the good stuff that has been coming out about it lately tho, hehe.
Post Wed May 03, 2006 5:55 am
doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

With as great as this game looks, it's perplexing why the single player party PC RPG has pretty much disappeared until now. It's not like they weren't commercially successful. The Baldurs Gate series was as successful as the first Neverwinter Nights. Temple of Elemental Evil was the last PC party-based RPG. I hope that there will be more in the near future if and when some publishers start jumping off of the MMORPG bandwagon. That's why I was looking forward to Fall: the Last Days of Gaia so much, bugs and all.

A while back, PC Gamer had a tiny little blurb from Atari that Baldurs Gate 3 was in development. I think that might have been two years ago. Wouldn't it be great if somebody was working on it now, waiting until near completion to show it off to the world?
Post Wed May 03, 2006 12:46 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next