Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Replay of CRPGs
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

How many times do you typically play a CRPG you like?
Once
47%
 47%  [ 10 ]
2 - 3
47%
 47%  [ 10 ]
4 - 6
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
7 or more
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I seldom finish most games I like even once
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 21

Author Thread
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Replay of CRPGs

Please consider the CRPGs you play. If you like the game, how often do you tend to play that game before putting it aside?

Now consider why this is. I presume we all WANT to be able to play a CRPG many times and enjoy it each time - but do we and if we do what makes us able to replay it and enjoy it again and again.

I admit that (in general) I play a game once only - perhaps playing it part way through with different character types (rogue, mage, etc.) but seldom finish more than once. Generally speaking the only reason I tend to replay games I liked the first time through is because there isn't anything else to play (not a very good reason btw).

The reasons I do not replay most CRPGs through is lack of differentiation between the character types (they all play about the same), lack of different NPC reactions to different character types (they all say the same thing regardless of your character) and lack of any real differences in the storyline (main and/or subs or quests).
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:46 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I use to replay my beloved shooters and the rare CRPG I like at least once - it doesn't matter if they have a measurable 'replay value'. I played Doom like what, 15 times before I went on to other games like Strife which i replayed 4 times...
I played Gothic, for example, twice as an OC guard before I went on to try other affiliations/classes, I played Daggerfall with two characters who were - except for looks, race and gender - exactly the same etc. etc.
I'm not going to replay Morrowind though because I just don't have the time nowadays to play a game more than once.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:53 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Some games i don't even finish, but i play then for a long time, with different characters and such.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:09 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I am assuming that this question applies only to those games I like enough to even *try* to finish.

That said, most games I like have had hard choices I had to make that I know effect the way the game plays out. So I have to try the game again. I do not always finish the alternate start - especially if I find it too much like the original play through ... but I usually do.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:11 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I finish almost every game I buy. I want my money's worth.
Then, if I liked the game I usually replay it. If I loved the game it will be enshrined on my hard drive and only removed because I'm forced to uninstall it to make room for another game.
Don't ask how many times I've replayed Fallout, Fallout 2, or PS:T.
Then there was Quest for Glory 1. I swear I had that game down to a science.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 5:50 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

1 time, i have enough games lined up already.

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:04 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

If I ever finish a game, I like to go back and replay it a couple of times. I haven't finished any CRPGs recently (not since Fallout, IIRC). But I've replayed that about ten times.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:10 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Sadly I have to admit that I have got quite a lot of games that I haven’t finished (Gothic, Morrowind, NWN and so on) and they will always have a higher priority than to replay games I've been through once.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:53 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Having thought about it, I usually don't finish my games. Sometimes I do just to get it over with, but I guess I find the fun in actual playing. Not finishing. I think Fallout 2 was the only game I finished about 7 times. Prolly because I wanted to see those ending cutscenes. But many games I started playing over and over again. I guess I like developing my characters early on. I started BG2 about 4 times. Last incarnation was with a single character that was fighter/mage/thief, but when I realized I haven't leveled in about 4 levels worth of xp (due to xp cap), I got bored and stopped. Arcanum got started with about 6 different characters, of which 4 went some distance, of which 1 finished the game (I can't even remember what the game was about in the end--some dead elf trying to take over the world?).

Bottom line, if by replay you mean finish, then I don't replay my games. If you mean by how many times I restart the game, then many.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:06 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Well, I normally play my CRPGs through once, mostly because I hardly have the time to even finish them. I'm a big fan of CRPGs, I'm currently playing: Fallout, Fallout 2, Morrowind, NWN, and Icewind Dale. I just beat Gothic a few days ago as an OC .....I keep thinking, "I want to play through it again as a sect member or as a new camp member!" I doubt that'll ever happen cause Fallout 2 and NWN have captured my playing time at the moment, and even if I finish those, I still have three games left to beat. - and by that time I'll probably have bought three more. So even if a CRPG had a huge replay value, I doubt I'd play through it again. I'd keep playin if it had multiplayer though.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:31 pm
TheRaven
Village Leader
Village Leader

the only games that it fully completed more than once were...

-diablo: 3 times (each character)

- realms of arkania 1: 3 times
2: 2 times
3: 2 times ...planning to play again with lvl 1 party *g

-might & magic 4&5 : 2 times ... once seperate and once world of xeen

- quest for glory 3: 3 times (each character) and some other adventure games.. (monkey island 1&2 for ex.)

I did those in the time when roleplay-games were rare - now there are so many that I can't even finish some of them once
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:54 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I had a quick answer for this one, until I started really thinking about it. I wanted to go with a straight "one time", but when I really started looking thru my RPGs, I noticed that there's quite a few that I never did finish. There's a few (MM6, MM7, and Wiz8 in particular) that I've completed multiple times, but lots more that I never won. I did notice a trend, though. The ones I didn't finish were mostly D&D based games. I think the reason for that is that the aspect of RPGs that I enjoy most is character development. The D&D games often get pretty stagnant after a while, which makes finishing them a chore. Even ones I truly liked (Planescape) got stale on me. I've started those games countless times because I feel bad about not completing them, but I always seem to get bogged down after a while. BG1 had a cap of level 7 (IIRC). Not much chance to grow your character like that. If you think back, during the years after the gold box games went away and before our recent rebirth, a lot of RPGs were tied into the D&D system somehow, so you couldn't help but add those types of games to your library.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the p-n-p D&D experience as much as the next person, but I guess I look for different things when I fire up my PC. Kinda makes me feel like a loser to really examine how many games I've given up on over the years.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:07 am
Vorador
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

When I play a real good CRPG, I usually like to play it one more time. Just to catch the stuff that I didn't get or secrets that I didn't find.

Vorador

Noble? Do I look like a noble knight to you?

=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth, the Nonflamers' Guild, the Sixth House, the RPGDot Warriors, and Digger of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 7:50 am
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I almost always complete an RPG that I buy, usually because I research it a bit beforehand and typically pick games that I would like. I'll go through again if

a) there's a significant part of the game I missed the first time around, such as other story branches, or choosing a different faction (camps in Gothic), or class.

b) I want to try something out that I didn't think of before

I remember going through BG a couple of times, just to try out different party combos. BG II, esp. with the different NPC interaction, the quasi-evil options, the class stronghold missions, etc. I played through BG II three times, twice completed with two different parties and classes, and the third time solo, just to see if I could... After a challenging beginning, my solo fighter/mage was virtually invincible in the mid-game (I took out the XP cap ), and I got bored with it, so I just stopped.

Some games are just too tedious to play through again, like many of the console games (eg Ultima I... shudder).

- Wind
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:42 am