They're about the same.
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Author Thread
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Would ToEE appeal to NWN fans?

Neverwinter Nights is my favorite game. Period. But I was recently considering getting ToEE. I won't get it immediately, should I decide to(I'm living on a frugal budget, and HAVE to get Gothic 2 and HotU), but it looks pretty good, and has recieved good reviews, but I was wondering: Would a NWN fan such as myself find enjoyment in ToEE? Is it as good? The main complaints I've heard about the game is that it's "one big huge dungeon crawl." I wouldn't mind that part too much, having played plenty some D&D and enjoyed it, but I wouldn't like to be trapped in some dungeon until the end of the game. I would like to have access to other places as well. And how is the atmosphere and ambience in the game? Your thoughts?

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:15 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

NWN - Loved it, the multiplayer that is. I never finished the single-player campaign. It dragged.
ToEE - Loved it. Hack and slash goodness like NWN in some aspects, but it knew when to quit. There are other spots to explore besides the Temple, but it tends to be a short game.

If your looking for the longevity of NWN, you won't find it with ToEE. But it's a fun little romp none-the-less.
Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:46 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Buy Gothic 2, and HOU. Ask someone to give you ToEE as a present, or get it when it drops to a bargain price. It's OK, but not great.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:26 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Most of the reviews I've read on ToEE have either lauded it for its combat and faithfulness to D&D rules or criticized it for abysmal dialogue, story, questionable design decisions (no item descriptions?), and bugs. I discovered PC Gamer UK gave it a 57%. Ouch. Nevertheless, you might want to give it a try for the combat. I bought Gothic 2 over ToEE. So far, I have not been disappointed.
Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:26 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Apples and oranges.

NWN is great, as Val said, for the multiplayer and the unlimited replay value based on a strong user mod community. It is weaker on the actual rules of D&D than TOEE... but any bend they made in the rules was to enhance fun.

TOEE is great for the combat and for its faithful translation of the pen and paper module it was based on. Granted, the pen and paper module had far less roleplaying and a weaker story than TOEE in CRPG format and a much higher hack factor... but Troika couldn't get it perfect without alienating even more players.

Yes, the module has that little story and roleplaying.

Single player, TOEE is very fun for a turn based party oriented tactical combat CRPG.

Multiplayer, NWN is very fun for a real time solo based click fest CRPG.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:37 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

They are different.

I appreciate the combat engine and graphics and graphic art of TOEE more.

But I actually enjoyed the NWN OC more than TOEE. It has more length and content. And its not particularly long or interesting itself.

Whats worse.... TOEE has little to no replay value.
30 or more d and d modules have been made into nwn downloads. And while they are all very bad.... a few of them are probably better than TOEE as well.
There may be fan made modules for TOEE and I would be very interested in trying them out. But there will be a few at most Im sure, it doesnt come with edditting tools.

Anyhow this isnt an either or.

You already have NWN and will you like TOEE a lot? You may, but you wont be happy with your dollar per entertainment hour like NWN.

Gothic 2 is much much better than both of these games in my scale.
Post Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:11 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I think there's quite a bit of replay value, from different opening vignettes to different dialogue for the various alignments to multiple endings...far more replay value than the NWN OC. It's not a long game but the length is adequate IMO.

It's not as good as Gothic 2...but then, what is? Not every game can be the best game ever.
Post Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:47 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Thanks for the input, guys! I think I'll get Greyhawk when it hits the bargain bins.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:38 pm