Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
New Member's First Post....Tell Me What You Think.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
qwert_44643
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

First off hello to all a nice board you all have going.
I bought gothic today after reading the board fo a while and i knew my video card was going to be a problem(vodoo3 with 3rd party drivers)but think i can get around to making the game play "decently" this is my system first off:
Athlon 600
256 ram
windows 98
Vodoo3(with 3rd party drivers)

now from researching theis forum i've implemented the following:

*running game in 800x600x16
*turned off music and reverb effects
*turned down texture mode by 2 slots
*downloaded cacheman and checked the conservative swap file usage
*removed bikini texture
*turned off sky effects

since you gothic wizards know more about this kinda stuff than i do, i was wanting to see if anymore could be done,i have plans on buying gforce2(64)a lil bit down the road.
To all those who respond thank you in advance
qwert
Ps-
i know i could turn down the res to lowest setting and turn down more texture setting just dont know if i want to go down much further than im at.
Pss-the olny problem i saw before making all these adjustments was when getting close to the old camp it would slow here and there.
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 5:49 am
qwert_44643
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Oh by the way i just was reading another post and 1 of the moderators said something about turning antialiasing off....so i did,that should help to then.
qwert
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 6:00 am
propellerhead
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

visibility.....lower it from 100 to 20 percent......even though i run it at 300 and looks super at 1600 by 1200 at 32bit, sometimes i drop it down to 20 percent because i like the mystery!
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 6:27 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You did almost everything possible.

Type "toggle frame" in the console and watch the frame rate. Maybe you find out some of the eye-candy doesnīt cost performane and can be activated again. But I think the voodoo3 simply canīt handle this game.

A GeForce2 Ti 64MB (or its follow-up in a few weeks) is the correct choice. Weaker cards make no sense and faster cards donīt make a difference on your system. Donīt forget to buy more RAM also.

Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 6:55 am
qwert_44643
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanks for responding you 2 i think its great when people take the time out to reply,im gonna lower visibility down to 50% and as for getting the geforce2 64mb im gonna do that as soon as income tax check comes rolling in till then im stuck with what i got and will have to make use with what i got,and getting extra ram is actually something i will do.
once again thanks
qwert

[ This Message was edited by: qwert_44643 on 2002-01-12 01:44 ]
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 7:43 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

On 2002-01-12 00:27, propellerhead wrote:
visibility.....lower it from 100 to 20 percent......even though i run it at 300 and looks super at 1600 by 1200 at 32bit, sometimes i drop it down to 20 percent because i like the mystery!

I think this was meant ironically. The graphics is Gothicīs strongest point. Imagine you are standing on top of the big waterfalls at night and look down on the Swamp Camp, resolution 1600*1200*32, visibility 300.
And then you transform into a bloodfly and fly straight down!
Post Sat Jan 12, 2002 7:56 am
qwert_44643
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well i thought id post this to let you all know what i have done...in the end i lowered the res all the way down and the details were lowered more as well,by doing this the game now seems to be running pretty smooth specially in the old camp....it seems alot more enjoyable that way.....at least it'l have to do till i get my new gforce2(64mb)when income tax rolls in.
Thanks once again for the responses,
qwert
Post Sun Jan 13, 2002 12:04 am