Rapier or Scimitar?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

Rapier or Scimitar?

I am soon going to replay the single player campain with a fast master swordsman type character. I want to focus on one weapon so I can get improved critical asap, what weapon should I use rapier or scimitar? Both do the same damage, both have the same critical range, I think both have the same speed, the only real difference I can see is that one is slashing, and the other is piercing. Is one better than the other? Since I was playing a real tank type the first time around I didn't even notice, are there better scimitars or rapiers in SP?
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 7:14 pm
MtnDwarf
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

A rapier can be used in conjunction with the weopon finesse feat which allows you to use your dexterity modifier to your attack bonus aposed to your str modifier. This is good for theives usually but if you want to be a dexterous fighter aposed to the strong burly type then you would most likely whant to use a rapier. Keep in mind though the dex modifer doesnt apply to your damage bonus only str can add to damage. The scimitar is mostly a druid weopon becouse it is really the only bladed sword type weopon that they can use.
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 7:26 pm
ButtOfMalmsey
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Rapier also has a ridiculously good critical range.

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to SPEED around a city, keeping its SPEED over fifty, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode. I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."
-Homer Simpson

=Member of the Non-Flamers Guild=
=Member of The Sixth House=
::Captain of the Black Company::
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:16 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It depends entirely on your character's strength and if you want to spend a feat.

If your strength is lower than your dexterity by more than four attribute points, weapon finesse and rapier are worth it. In a point buy system like NWN this decision is INTENTIONAL, so it comes down to your playing style. My 'nobleman turned adventurers' use rapiers.

If your strength is NOT lower than your dexterity by that much, scimitar is better.

They both have the same critical range and inflict the same damage.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:02 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Re: Rapier or Scimitar?

quote:
Originally posted by Suicidal Cockroach
I am soon going to replay the single player campain with a fast master swordsman type character. I want to focus on one weapon so I can get improved critical asap, what weapon should I use rapier or scimitar? Both do the same damage, both have the same critical range, I think both have the same speed, the only real difference I can see is that one is slashing, and the other is piercing. Is one better than the other? Since I was playing a real tank type the first time around I didn't even notice, are there better scimitars or rapiers in SP?

Go with the rapier, and take the Finesse feat if you go the high dex route. It can get really impressive.
Post Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:59 pm