Usergroups
Pool of Radiance 2
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Words are whispered that the game is finished, also the testing part, and that we can expect a "gone gold" declaration anytime now.
Some game testers, who have tried the early versions of the game, praise in generel the game very much. They however mention that the game is mostly hack n'slash, collecting items and power character building, in large worlds with random generated dungeons. Not that any of the writers have mentioned that as a bad thing, but I guess the fans of the RPG style, like Planescape, will wrink their noses.
It's even compared with Diablo 2, but with much nicer graphics, the new AD&D rules, and character teams play.
Well I look forward to it no matter how they describe it!
Post Tue Sep 04, 2001 12:56 pm
Rangstrom
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Diablo?! Nooooooooooooooooo. Please no.
Post Tue Sep 04, 2001 3:47 pm
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

On Eurogamer they have an in-depth preview which dismissed the game as shallow and boring. To be honest, I was looking forward to it, but after reading the preview will proberbly wait for Divine Divinity instead.
Post Tue Sep 04, 2001 5:03 pm
Xombie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I was, ummm, a little surprised to find out that wizards weren't in the game.

I mean, come on... wizards! I'm sure this has been flamed about back and forth but, wow. And I believe some other character classes are missing - Druids I think? Sorcerers are okay, I guess (I never played one in BG2 and haven't played a 3rd Edition D&D yet), but, well, they aren't wizards.

And what else? Oh, I just read that crossbows didn't make it. Hell, I know, let's make a Shadowrun RPG (mmmmmm, Shadowrun) and leave out the pistols. I mean, everyone can use sniper rifles, SMGs, and heavy assault rifles, right? Blah.

The sad thing is, I'll still play it. There aren't many types of computer games I can actually enjoy. First-Person shooters make me sick (literally. I mean, I'm a wimp. More than 5 minutes playing one and I get seriously dizzy) and I quickly get in over my head playing real time strategy games (although I enjoy most of them). Adventure games I like but the last good one I played was Gabriel Knight 3 (probably the best graphical adventure game I've ever played). So anyway, I'll play RPGs when I can.

Ta,

Sam

Post Fri Sep 21, 2001 1:59 am
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Wow, another Gabriel Knight 3 fan. That was proberly the last great adventure I played. I loved the theme, the whole Rennes le Chateau mystery. Its a shame that is was not a hit, but it seems to happen to a lot of good games.
Post Sat Sep 22, 2001 12:54 pm
Azareal
Assassin in the Night
Assassin in the Night

Hmmm, Gabriel Knight 3 was about Rennes le Chateau? Now im interested in the game, but its a shame no one sells it anymore. I guess I'll just read a walkthrough about it then, get the story from that =)

Post Sat Sep 22, 2001 8:44 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Gabriel Knight 3 is a great adventure - but my favourite is -= The Longest Journey =-

Hx
Post Sat Sep 22, 2001 10:15 pm
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I think GK 3 was released on budget recently. Its well worth getting, but it is an minority type game. Again, I don't want to reveal any of the plot, but it is one of the intriging games I played. If you have read any books like ' the Holy Blood and the Holy Grail';'the Templar Revelation' or its ilk, you will really enjoy it.

Sierra gets a lot of abuse, but at least they still release games like Arcanum, which will never be huge sellers. I cannot see EA doing that.

As for the longest journey, I never played it but heard a lot of good things about it. Next time I go home, I might pick it up. ( I hate German versions of adventures and RPGs)
Post Sun Sep 23, 2001 12:09 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

GK3 is more a puzzle solving adventure, with a really good story.
Longest journey is more, go to the right place at the right time adventure or talk to to the right NPC in the correct order. It also have a very good story.
The adventure game releases are very sparse now a days.
To mention a third newer adventure game worth the while, I have to say "Myst3:Exile",
also a game with puzzle solving as the main ingredient.
Post Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:04 pm
Azareal
Assassin in the Night
Assassin in the Night

Jay, I happen to be reading the 'Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' right now, great book. All that historic stuff is quite interesting...can anyone suggest any other games with a theme like GK3?

Post Tue Sep 25, 2001 6:07 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

How about the latest Indiana Jones? I think the title was: Infernal machine?
Post Tue Sep 25, 2001 7:37 am
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

The Broken Sword games are good. The first one deals with the treasure of the Knights Templer, and the crusades, and the second one concerns the Mayan long count calander. Both are fun and well researched, but are proberbly a bit dated now.
Post Tue Sep 25, 2001 7:57 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Arthurs knigths: A newer adventure game. Personally I never played it, but some of my friends gave it a average to under average score.
Post Tue Sep 25, 2001 8:14 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Oh,no what is happening with POR2. Seems to be a lot of problems with installation/ uinstall, save games, and Cdrom acceptance on some machines. Seems most like HW/OS problems we have seen before in other new games.Hope they patch the problems before the game reaches Denmark about 14 days from now.
Post Mon Oct 01, 2001 11:15 am
Annelid
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Another thing I've noticed. Seems like the AI for all the creatures are almost identical. Except creatures that have spells or ranged weapons. Creatures with spells use them up before engage in melee combat.

That would make sense with the zombies and skeletons flanking your front lines to get to your spell casters etc.

Post Tue Oct 09, 2001 10:14 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next