SWG: Raph Koster Interview @ OGaming
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Inauro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

SWG: Raph Koster Interview @ OGaming

OGaming talks with Sony Online Entertainment's Raph Koster about the future of online gaming.<blockquote><em>OGaming: EverQuest and sequel EverQuest II are currently running at the same time, complete with their own fan bases. Unheard of! How do you do it? <br> <br>Raph Koster: Well, it helps for them to be different games! We spent a lot of time during development to ensure that EQ2 was its own thing, a concept deserving of its own game while still in the EQ tradition. If it had been just EQ reskinned, I'm sure that it wouldn't have its own fan base that way. But we built it to attract a different audience, and it has. <br> <br>OGaming: Your company practically invented the modern MMO with EverQuest, back when the concept was unproven. Now you face competition at every turn from upstarts like NCSoft and Mythic – what's the secret to winning the next-gen wars? <br> <br>RK: I think competition keeps everyone on their toes, and it's a good thing. But the answer to winning next-gen wars in pretty much every business is the same: think out of the box, then execute well on that thought. Followers rarely end up leading an industry – you have to try new things, take some risks, and then make sure that you execute on what you're doing.</em></blockquote><a href="http://www.ogaming.com/data/3265%7ESOE.php" target="_blank">More...</a>
Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:12 pm
Stromboli

Sorry I couldn't help myself. This is my own take on the Raph Koster interview

~

Ogaming: EverQuest and sequel EverQuest II are currently running at the same time, complete with their own fan bases. Unheard of! How do you do it?

Raph Koster: Well you see it's quite simple! Nobody expected EQII to suck as badly as it did, so everyone who liked the orginal EQ is still playing it!

Ogaming: Your company practically invented the modern MMO with EverQuest, back when the concept was unproven. Now you face competition at every turn from upstarts like NCSoft and Mythic – what's the secret to winning the next-gen wars?

Raph Koster: Sony invented EQ? Really? I'm sure they appreciate that fact even though what really happened is that they came along and bought it up after it had already become a success! Thank you also for indirectly trasnferring some of that credit to me by way of association, even though I had nothing to do with the original game! As far as those upstarts go I wouldn't worry. By the time the stuffed suits at sony realize what's going on I'll have a nice fat retirement saved up to fall back on!

Ogaming: The Matrix Online: Why buy it? Who's still playing? And why do you believe there's a strong future for this franchise?

Raph Koster: Well we've made the decision rather than come up with one good game to offer our customers we'd offer a whole smorgasborg of crappy ones and hope they don't notice the difference!

Ogaming: The DC Comics MMO: Please explain the reasoning behind this decision. And should we take it as part of a push to expand Sony Online’s holdings beyond the standard fantasy/sci-fi realms?

Raph Koster: That's easy! City of Heroes kicks ass and we want to copy them! We think it's a good idea to expand in any direction that looks like it works since can't come up with any orginal ideas ourselves.

Ogaming: What's the company's general publishing strategy been in the past? What is it going forward?

Raph Koster: Well, in the past it's been to buy up what works! Going forward it's allllll smoke and mirrors buddy, alllll smoke and mirrors!

Ogaming: How do you feel about the general misconception many companies had in recent years that the MMO market was not as viable as people once thought? Obviously, it's currently going through a resurgence...

Raph Koster: Well of course there were a lot of misconceptions regarding MMORPG viability in the past! When Star Wars Galaxies fell flat on it's ass after a full 2 years of mega-hype about my creative genius who would have expected otherwise!

Ogaming: To what do you attribute MMO gaming’s return to prominence?

Raph Koster: Oh um... Night Elves.... Orcs.... Big Hammers... I dunno! Lots of things!

Ogaming: Where do you feel the MMO market is in its lifecycle – are there still millions upon millions of users to attract? Why?

Raph Koster: Oh it's doing quite well, and there ARE still millions and millions of users to attract. They just aren't here at Sony at the moment!

Ogaming: Most of America (not to mention the world) still isn't playing these titles... Why is it inevitable that this situation will change?

Raph Koster: Well I won't keep designing games forever now will I!

Ogaming: How does Sony Online decide which titles to publish? Is there a particular type of game you're looking to push forward with in coming years?

Raph Koster: There are all kinds of really cool games I'd like to push forward in the future, and the executives at Sony are really receptive to my ideas! I have this cool little routine I go through whenever I'm in the board room. I take out this little shiney pocket-watch, and I start telling them all that they are getting veeerrry sleeepy.....

Ogaming: Right now, you’ve got a lot of major blockbuster properties in your catalogue. Any chance you'll be looking towards more niche and/or smaller scale, yet more innovative projects soon?

Raph Koster: Oh we're working desperately on turning every single one of those blockbuster properties into niche projects!

Ogaming: What other developers/publishers out there are you seeing whose work you like? Do you feel that some are pushing SOE to become a better competitor?

Raph Koster: Oh I definitley feel like the stress releif I get from playing games like World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, and City of Heroes allow me to come back to work refreshed, rejuvenated, and ready to make a significant contribution to this company. I think they all make us better competitors!

Ogaming: Do you plan on reaching outside of Sony Online for the majority of upcoming projects, or tapping internal talent? Why so?

Raph Koster: Well with all that terrific talent outside the company why put extra strain on our employees here? Keep your eyes on the prize, that's my motto!

Ogaming: Where does the future of the MMO scene lie?

Raph Koster: Well you can travel to the future in Star Wars Galaxies! Oh wait no... that was a "Long time ago"...

Ogaming: How's the Station Exchange been working out for you?

Raph Koster: Oh great! My wife and I just paid for one of those High Definition television set with the money I made off it! IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING!!

Ogaming: Why, as a company, choose to jump into the resale of virtual goods market after decrying the industry for so long?

Raph Koster: Well we weren't coming up with any games that were worth a damn...

Ogaming: How did that whole “/pizza” promotion work out? Should we expect to see more in the near future (“/beer” seems a natural compliment)?

Raph Koster: We felt strongly that the addition of a decent pizza improved the gameplay experience of EQII tremendously. It IS comfort food after all.

Ogaming: Just how much of an MMO nut are you yourself? And what sort of character do you most enjoy playing... female barbarians?

Raph Koster: Oh I AM a nut. And I do enjoy playing with female barbarians when my wife's not looking.
Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:14 pm

Greymane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Stromboli .. you are a genius!

HAHA
Stromboli,
That was one of the most hilarious followups to an interview I've read in a very long time!

It's a shame that you're so close to the truth...
Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:58 pm