View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Detori
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Need some help on killing the TWO lichs in the Crypt Level5

Hi Guys!

I am a little stuck... Just after going to the bottom of the crypt I find the Helm of Poxsellis. Upon picking it up and trying to leave I get the TWO lichs attacking me. This where I die all the time

These magic-wielding enemies are the hardest and I usually find it difficult to take on one of them, but two make it impossible for me to progress.

I tried several ways:
- I took a two handed sword/slayer blade to inflict greater damage with every shot
- I took the Shield of Elders (good magic resistance) and a single handed sword
- I usually use mana drain on them and give them a few fireballs
- I tried life drain + bolts

PS: I am wearing the Ylside armour + Helm of Poxsellis

As you can guess I never actually killed them with these strategies since they freeze me and hit me + their summoned minions are always in the way. Occasionally I live pretty long but still cannot get more then one of them!

Any hints as to how to defeat them?

Thanx a lot,
Detori
Post Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:34 am
linkitch
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hm... I would guess that you are a warrior, right ?
If not try using some Incenerate on them, works great.

If not try to kill the Skeletons and put a stake in them, then there gone. After that you can just take a fast swingin sword and jab them. Remember to use Heal, also if you losing to much life use the Armor spell.

BTW. where did you get that armor ???
Post Sun Dec 01, 2002 9:21 pm
Detori
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanks a lot linkitch, I'll try incinerate (at least that is one spell I have not tried)...
...Yes, I am indeed a warrior with moderate spell-casting abilities so my fireballs are not too tough, no wonder they do little damage to the nasty lichs

+++SPOILERS+++

The Ylside arour you can get at the end of the mission when the Ylsides attack Arx. The quest ends with you being in the prison of the castle and you are told to jump down the sewer to escape. BUT before you jump look around the room and there you'll find a REALLY NICE Ylside armour
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:42 am
azale
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am at the same spot those bastards are doing something to me that kills me right away I`ll try the incinerate though Im using the same eqiupment as you plus the 2 drakka rings my magic resistance is like 140 or something like that .IM gonna try bless armor than mana drian and hope i have some mana left for offence,confuse might buy me some time too. I would think they would be immune though
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:39 am
Ken
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Fireballs Own.

I use nothing but fireballs all the time, i never even tried most spells, no need really. Early in the game i put some points in combat, but then went all magic. I havent fought an impressive enemy yet. 1-3 fireballs has killed everything I have encountered. Liches 1-2.
-Ken
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:56 am
Detori
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Re: Fireballs Own.

quote:
Originally posted by Ken
I use nothing but fireballs all the time, i never even tried most spells, no need really. Early in the game i put some points in combat, but then went all magic. I havent fought an impressive enemy yet. 1-3 fireballs has killed everything I have encountered. Liches 1-2.
-Ken

Well...
I am afraid I did not "train" quite enough on magic, so I have my casting ability pretty low, I will get out of the crypt, complete a few minor things (need only 1200 Xps to get to next level) will charge my magic ability and try those bastards again!

Thanks for all the ideas!
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 8:53 am
Elco
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well here is an alternate strategy that will work for magic users with negate magic. just cast it and their life drains wont work and you just hack at them.

for non magic users, the only thing you can do is go in with a ton of heal potions and pray. and work the terrain.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:08 am
Detori
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

OK so I finally got them
I just separated them and dealt with them one by one...
...life drain and negate magic were great! THANKS!
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:03 am
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Non-magic users can try to get the magic bow of lord inut. Get the Ylsides armor (this way the liches and zombie won't be able to harm you much physically). As for their drain attack, try the Krahoz and Zohark, otherwise keep distance, it seems that their drain attack has a certain range (please correct me if I am wrong). Anyway, ignore zombies, concentrate on the lich.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:38 pm
BazzaLB
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, I've been enjoying Arx very much thus far, but I have reached this stage of the game. For some reason, these 2 liches seem far more difficult than any others I've encountered where 2-3 fireballs were enough to dispatch them.

Anyway, after numerous attempts, I finally killed them both (after running around all over the place to get away and build up my mana and health).

Here's my problem. I have activated all arrows on the floor and the porticulis will not open. I have walked over each arrow in turn and still the porticulis won't open. Have I somehow tripped up during my running battle and made it so it is now IMPOSSIBLE to open the gate? If so, this is a pretty bad design consideration as I would hate to have to spend another age trying to defeat those 2 liches again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Post Thu Dec 12, 2002 3:22 am
BazzaLB
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, I tried this about 10 times last night to no avail. Had another go after posting here and viola, success....

This has been an absolutely brilliant game so far.
Post Thu Dec 12, 2002 5:28 am
Ketann
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I ended up fighting them from the crypt in the middle of the room, they have a hard time hitting you and it gives you many opportunities to heal/mem fireball ect...
Post Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:08 pm
toddhd
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The first of the two liches went down really fast, not sure why. 2 fireballs and a sword strike killed him. The second one was hell.

I ended up (mostly from running in dread fear) in the corner of the room and up on the ledge. The lich and his zombie just walked up the ledge, but didn't seem to have the pathfinding to walk around and get me, nor did they really cast any spells or anything. Instead, they just kept walking back and forth in front of me.

So I kept walking up to them, doing a sword slash, and taking a step back. It took me about 10 minutes, but he finally went down. I think that getting them seperated is the only way to go, or they'll surely kill you.
Post Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:00 am
sunshine
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

one way to keep the zombies busy, is to raise dead a couple times, then all you have to do is fight the liches.
Post Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:40 pm
RAVENAL
Village Leader
Village Leader

KILLING LICHS while using harm spell

I'm curious...has anyone tried using the harm spell RHAA-VITAE for protection and active defense fighting these Lichs? There is no mana drain and the other strategys can be used with this spell also ...I.m not here yet...but will be soon ...and this is the only way I could kill the demon in the Akbaa Temple...

THE TAROT
Post Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:31 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next