Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Laggy game
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

Raven here again....sorry to bother you guys.
I have a quetion, i have a ATI Rage 128 Pro, and when i play the demo, it is really laggy SOMETIMES, not all the time.Do you guys know what I should do??
thank you,
Raven.
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 5:54 pm

artos
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

hi
i think you need a better videocard,
GF2/pro will do the trick.
with newest driver !
you really need power:
GF2 32-64mb
256-512mb
HD faster/better
amd 1000 or pent.III 1000
IMHO that will do it.*<;o)
artos
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 7:04 pm

Thanks Artos, this Raven.
Umm the prob is, i am little bit out of money, so....
whaa....
umm is there another way i can download or something for my videocard?
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 7:39 pm

artos
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

try running low res. 800*600
toggle memoryeater textur + model
disable weathereffect's
have a got look at all options!!

and save money to by better stuff.LOL
just a joke *<;o)
artos
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 7:53 pm
artos
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:

On 2001-12-05 13:53, artos wrote:
try running low res. 800*600
toggle memoryeater textur + model
disable weathereffect's
have a got look at all options!!

and save money to by better stuff.LOL
just a joke *<;o)
artos

join the forum
Post Wed Dec 05, 2001 7:56 pm

Well..i dont know if you are using Windows Xp...but i had some big prob. with my GF2 64Mb GTS card to..I had to install the new driver from Nvidia to fix it..dont know much about ATI cards.But if you are using XP im sure you will have more prob. with other games to.
Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 2:04 am

albundy
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i run this game on 458 mhz (clocked from 350) celleron with 200 mb of ram, and 32 meg riva tnt 2 card (nvidia). its alright when u start initial running the game, but after playing it for 40 mins to more, performance drops like 200 percent, and when i quit the game, i see notice on my desktop that says virtual memory low, anyone know how to go around this in this game? i never had played a game that ate up all my virtual mememory before(including max payne and it had 450 mhz requirement!)
Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 2:33 am
XxVenomxX
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've got a 1.5 gHz
GeForce2 Ultra
256 MB RAM

I only got another 128 of RAM about a week ago. Before, when I just had 128 MB total, Gothic took about 5 minutes to load a game in the main world, and it would get choppy around the camps. But when I got that other 128 MB of RAM, everything runs smooth as silk. The 5 min loading time cut down to 30 seconds. Its the only recommendation I can make.
Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 10:42 pm
Kayne
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i just defragged my system. after every 10-15 hours of gameplay. at first i was save/loading profusely and finally my game said screw you. my character would move incredibly slow. i thought it might have been a bug with the potion of speed because it happened right after i drank the potion. the potion worked, but an hour later my character was as slow as a turtle. and if i tried to drink the potion again it would not work. i know you dont want to hear defrag, but it seems to work. also does anyone know any tips. such as how to dump cache or tweak my chip a bit. i dont know a thing about it?
Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 11:09 pm
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

I had this same question. I haven't got the game yet but I hear it has memory leak issues so I asked about utilities that can free up memory and was directed by Gorath to a good piece of free/shareware...
http://www.outertech.com/
Download Cacheman 5 and it should help you out a bit with memory problems. Some people describe the improvement like it's a hardware upgrade (according to the testimonials on the site). Let me know if it helps.

Post Thu Dec 06, 2001 11:21 pm
Kayne
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

what exactly does it do. the reason i ask is because i only installed my geforce 2 card for this game. when im done im reinstalling my tnt2 card. for some reason my geforce card fries my monitor. ive gone through 3 monitos now. fortunately gateway has been compliant but im tired of frying my monitors.
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 12:20 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Read this:
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=126&forum=2
Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 11:17 am
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

Just download it and try it. I used it last night. It is a very excellent little piece of software. It has wizards that walk you through things like disk cache tweaks and explains how it will effect your system in detail. It also automatically saves your current system settings into a profile when it first launches, so if you don't like what it does you can simply revert back to the way it was before. It will help regardless of which 3dcard you are using. I had 5Mb of free RAM prior to using it, and now have 171 Mb of free RAM. I am liking it a lot.

Gorath, thanks for the tip, this is exactly what I wanted and more. But I did notice that it said that it recommends using consertvative swap file usage for systems with 384Mb of RAM or more, so I did not enable it because I only have 256. Maybe I'll just get another stick of 128, I'll need it for Morrowind anyway.

Post Fri Dec 07, 2001 3:41 pm