Baldur's Gate 2 Question
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Aldaron
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Baldur's Gate 2 Question

All my characters are about level 9-12, most of the quests I haven't allready made is to hard. How shoudl I level up? Its not like I can just walk out in the wilderness and kill some monsters to gain exp since you can't travel like that.

Another question, you are supposed to clear a stronghold of trolls and other beasts, but the "boss", also a troll. Is impossible to kill! With only some hits he have drained all the life of my level 10 fighters that have like 120 HP. What should I do? I mean, everything was fine until i came to this "boss".

"...In ancient times, he rode often in the forests of Middle-Earth..."
Post Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:44 pm
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

go to www.gamefaqs.com and search for Baldur's Gate 2 and download Dan Simpson's walkthrough. it lists all the quests so you can do the ones that give you good experience and treasure! and for the troll thing, make sure you cast haste and other buff spells on your fighters. also summon some creatures to soak up damage. and sneak in a fireball with your mage before you begin combat
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:57 am
Aldaron
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah, I did cast Summon Animal II and III, but the trolls just slay them in seconds.

Anyway, I'll try out that site, thanks!

Edit: Btw, how do I kill an iron golem? It resists all kind of damage I can make with my characters.

Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:55 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

BG, it's been a while when I played this thing, anyway to kill that big iron golem you need weapon at least +3 damage. Anything will do, I remember I bought sling +5 from this guy in the tavern, but then again I have the collectors edition with extra cd and this particular salesman might be on it, besides it's pretty expensive.

Once I killed him with mace +3, he cannot pass the doorway so summon few creatures to keep him busy and haste yourself, then just run to him give him a smack and run away, just like in high school. Happy hunting
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:14 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Then, when all else fails, download the Shadowkeeper. An editor with wich you can edit your saved games/characters. But that is cheating, therfore I will not provide a link. Go google-hunting!

CrossTopicBaner
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:02 pm
Aldaron
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

No cheating in RPG games!

Anyway, you can find a Warhammer +1, +4 against Giantkin in the same room. But none of my characters are skilled with Warhammers, so the Iron Golem kills the characters before we can kill him.

But I don't really have to kill this golem, but you would get pretty much exp if you did, you get about 8000 for a normal golem, this one is twice as large! And maybe he have some item on him.... oh well, I'll just get back to him when i have leveled up a bit.

Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:07 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

Maybe this is common knowledge, but I think you can only hurt golems with magical blunt weapons.

As for the troll, keep summoning, drink every potion you have, lower the difficulty setting to "easy", guicksave, quickload, cross your fingers and hack away. Evetually you must succeed.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:14 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

The iron golem. I just killed him last night! Use one of the "Death Cloud" spells (i forget its name). My wizard had a wand that has it on it. If you dont have that wand, if you have found an item that summons a regular Fire Elemental (not the lesser), have your cleric heal the elemental while it fights the golem. As you know, regular spells and weapons dont touch the guy. Hope this helps!

PS -- might I recommend that you take care of as many quests in the city before venturing out into the wilderness? You get good items and great experience that way.

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:26 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Flesh Golems require +1 or better weapons to harm

Stone Golems require +2 or better weapons to harm

Clay Golems require +1 or better BLUNT weapons to harm

Iron Golems require +3 or better weapons to harm, but they don't need to be blunt

Adamantite Golems require +3 weapons to harm, but only take 3 damage per hit. This hurts.

Early in the game you can aquire Lilacor (a two handed sword +3) in the sewers underneath the Copper Coronet. From the 'standard' merchant in the CC you can get Stonefire, a +3 axe. There's another +3 axe, Frostreaver, in the room with the Iron Golem.

Also, once you get the flail of ages (Nalia's father's flail that is mentioned that you keep finding heads for)... that's another +3 weapon.

Stonefire, Frostreaver, and the Flail of Ages ALL do fire or acid damage, which kills trolls the instant they're dropped.

Against the troll boss try the following underhanded tactic if you're really getting pounded.

Have Nalia memorize web, fireball, stoneskin, and cloudkill. Cast stonekin and then have your fastest character run in, start the dialogue with the trolls, and run out. The instant the trolls turn red/hostile PAUSE the game. Have Nalia start casting web from the doorway as far as she can see. Have the character who is playing the baiter run past her. When you unpause the character should zip by her, and her web will cast, hopefully trapping the trolls/slowing them down.

Cast cloudkill. Then every fireball she's got. The trolls are trapped, choking to death, and sucking up 9 or 10d6 fireballs like champs. Have everyone else ready bows or weapons with reach (like a two handed sword or a spear). When the trolls DO get free and rush the door and invulnerable Nalia will be blocking it. Have everyone else attack the trolls with reach or missile weapons. Those tons of flaming arrows you find in the keep help a lot.

That should work nicely on difficulty setting up to impossible. It will definately work if you switch it to easy.

I never had a problem with that fight. Who's in your party?

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:30 pm
Aldaron
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have my char (fighter), Minsc (figher/ranger), Jaheira (sp?) (figher/druid), Anomen (Paladin), Cernd (Druid), and that elven mage/cleric we rescude at the circus in town.

Maybe not a good party, but i like the characters.

Post Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:49 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Um... ouch. You're going to be in for a hell of a time without a straight or dual (not multi) classed mage. The game relies on you having one at all times... which is why there are three in the game (Nalia, Edwin, Imoen).

A multi-class mage advances too slowly to help out with the main artillery role the game calls for. More importantly, as the game progresses... a pure mage is the only way to knock out the magical defenses of the enemy mages you run into. Without knocking out those defenses your party will burn...

They're all great characters... that's part of the beauty of BG2... but that party is going to run into some hard times.

Your fighter and Minsc have the fighting part done. No problem there. Jaheira isn't a bad little fighter in her own right (especially with spells like iron skins and such). Anomen is a cleric, not a paladin (unless you meant to say Keldorn)... and he's the best 'good' cleric in the game (sadly. He grates on my nerves, but unless YOU make a cleric as your character he's the best you've got...). That's four. Aerie's versatility is an asset... and her ability to mix mage and cleric spells eventually (contingency with a heal spell is fun... 'oh no... I'm really hurt... *heal* Ok. I'm fine.')

I'd suggest losing Cernd. Of all the characters in BG2, he's my least favorite. From a 'power' perspective he's not that hot either. Transforming into a wolfwere is cool... but that's about it.

I try and make 'theme' parties. They work well.

For example, 'Nature's servants'... Me (Ranger), Minsc (Ranger), Valygar (Ranger), Jaheira (Fighter/Druid), Cernd (Druid), Nalia/Imoen (Mage)

Damn did that part have a hard time...

"The Righteous"
Me (Paladin), Mazzy (Fighter), Anomen (Cleric), Aerie (Mage/Cleric), Nalia (mage), Imoen (Mage)

That is one happy party when you get your reputation up high. Powerful, too.

"Burn, Baby, Burn"
Me (Dual class fighter/mage), Nalia (mage), Imoen (mage), Aerie (cleric/mage), Jan Jansen (thief/mage), Edwin (mage)

Nothing besides a golem could slow those guys down. And even a golem got beaten to death by them in short order (they're mages... damage is largely optional to take. Stoneskins for everyone!).

"Lords of Darkness"
Me (Dual classed fighter/thief), Korgan (Berserker), Viconia (Cleric), Edwin (Mage), Haer Dalies (Bard), Anomen (with a twist) (cleric).

Not bad. Not good, either. Lose the bard for a very special guest star in Throne of Bhaal.

"The Misfits"
Me (bard), Minsc (Ranger), Haer Daelis (bard), Jan (mage/thief), Aerie (C/M), Imoen (mage).

Funny dialogues; but I couldn't beat the game.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:15 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

You seem to know what your talking about Xen, thanks.

I will let Imoen join the party once i rescue her.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:18 pm
SamaRy
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

For the last boss in the stronghold quest, I just lured the trolls one by one by walking real slowly until the fog of war reveals one troll, then run back, kill the troll, then repeat the process until only the boss troll is left, then I had my mages cast all the usual haste, strength, bless, defensive harmony, and any other spells that will give my fighters the edge, and the boss was really that hard to kill
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:42 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

I never liked Nalia or Aerie they always seemd a bit weak for my liking.

My "best party was Jaheria (for story and secondary healer), Imoen (for magic and plot), Anomen (for healing and Turning), Valygar (for scouting and fighting) and the final place was awarded to whoevers plot I wanted to do at the time but for most of the time it was Keldorn. I replaced Valygar with the special char from ToB I was a Paladin. This party word well with Imoen providing the initial nukes and debuffs the everyone else pileing in and wiping the floor with everyone else whilst Anomen and Jaheria kept everyones hit points high.

The best thing about this part was all the stories that went on. Expecially the way you could er... adapt people as the game progressed (especially in ToB)
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:19 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen

Funny dialogues; but I couldn't beat the game.

If you want funny dialogues try having Jaheira, Aerie, and Viconia; they argue with each other all the time (though you have to be a race that the romances work with). And of course for fun dialogues you absolutly must have Minsc.
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:28 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next