RPGDot Network    

Fallout: The Brotherhood of Steel (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Planescape - Torment
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Blacklight
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Planescape - Torment

Drat.

Is there a way to change the language of the game, or am I screwed? I currently have a Czech version. Problem is, I don't speak Czech, and it doesn't look like the installer gives the option to install in another language.

I know I'm dumb, but help me out here.
If there's no way, I'll cry. I swear.
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:41 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

There is no way to change localizations in any of the infinity engine games, as far as I know.

Here's a tissue.

I'd definitely take it back to where you bought it and ask them to order in the english localization instead. Whether they listen to your mistake and are nice enough to let you trade your copy in for the english copy or whether they gouge you for the full price again is up to the quality of people who own the store.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:08 pm
Blacklight
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

*cries*

Nooooo...
After searching so LONG for this bloody game...

Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:23 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I dont have pt installed to tell you what to look for exactly.

However you are looking for the cfg file in your planescape torment folder open it with notepad.

it looks like this ( this is part of TOEE)

difficulty=1
autosave_between_maps=1
movies_seen=(304,-1)(1007,-1)(1012,-1)(1027,-1)(300,-1)
video_adapter=0
video_width=1024
video_height=768
video_bpp=32

etc.

Look for something in there dealing with language perhaps thats where i would look first.
Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:04 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

I have P:T installed and I checked all *.ini files there. Nope. It seems you cannot change language of the game this way.

I have some experience with localized versions of games (in Russian) and in fact there are almost no cases where localized edition will contain original language, too. Just translation. I know of some people in Russian internet who bought Russian version of, say IWD2, and they were searching for some English-language files (with dialogues, interface or something esle - I don't know) when they decided they wanted to play in English. Which is piracy, I think. So I suppose this problem is unsolvable by editing some files. Sorry to say this.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:27 am
StarkeRealm
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Blacklight if you live in the states, interplay re-released a version of Planescape about two, maybe three years ago, as part of a dual game arangement, there are still copies floating around in the primary market in bargan bins, it was packaged with another game, soulstealer or something, anyway the original price was $10, if you want to try you'll probably have an easier time finding that then original release.

Hope this helps.
Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:00 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

quote:
Originally posted by stanthony
I have P:T installed and I checked all *.ini files there. Nope. It seems you cannot change language of the game this way.

I have some experience with localized versions of games (in Russian) and in fact there are almost no cases where localized edition will contain original language, too. Just translation. I know of some people in Russian internet who bought Russian version of, say IWD2, and they were searching for some English-language files (with dialogues, interface or something esle - I don't know) when they decided they wanted to play in English. Which is piracy, I think. So I suppose this problem is unsolvable by editing some files. Sorry to say this.

1-Usually, they mark the available languages on the case.
2-I have Russian & English Morrowind, but on the case it was marked as Russian version only.
3-The same thing is with "Impossible creatures", but this was solved from the ini file.
Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:16 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by ~NOBODY~
2-I have Russian & English Morrowind, but on the case it was marked as Russian version only.

Hmmm... Is it 1C/Akella edition? As far as I know 1C/Akella is the *only* legitimate Russian translation of Morrowind available. But, I'm pretty sure 1C/Akella has only Russian language. If you got something from Fargus or 7Wolf it should be a pirated version. Be careful.

Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:24 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

Morrowind is from "cdclub".
Impossible Creatures is from "1C"
Most of my games are from 1C. Akella doesn't have a lot of games. Also I have some "Fargus" games, like Nox. Never thought that they were pirate copies. Thanks to you I now Know!
Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:31 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by ~NOBODY~
Morrowind is from "cdclub".
Impossible Creatures is from "1C"
Most of my games are from 1C. Akella doesn't have a lot of games. Also I have some "Fargus" games, like Nox. Never thought that they were pirate copies. Thanks to you I now Know!

You're welcome "cdclub", "Fargus", "7wolf" all of those are pirate copies. Some of them are made in a quite authentic manner, so you really can be confused. The good test for pirate game in this case is if it states on the cover that there are two versions Russian and English in one box. Official localizations are made this way *extremely rarely*. I know of 2 games, and I don't think there are more than another couple on the market.

Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:37 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

And what about the games that state two companies, like stating 1C & Torum. I have "Prince of Qin" like this. But it didn't work.
Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:42 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Well, we're going totally off-topic here, but I'd say the best way to recognize pirate localized game from official one is to visit website of the developer/retailer. In your case it will be http://games.1c.ru Many companies work together on localizing games, so two or more names on the cover doesn't necessarily mean that this game was pirated.

Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:06 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I also have a similar problem with the PlaneScape Torment, is there no language pack or something?
Post Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:12 pm
Platter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes.
To convert a non-English version of Torment to English, simply go here and download "Convert Torment to English";
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/Torment/index_editors.htm
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:45 pm
Blacklight
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Question: Is there any voice acting in this game?

'Cause even when I am able to convert to english, I'm bound to miss out on it... Huge loss?
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:37 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next