Members
Usergroups
3DO still with losses
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Garrett

3DO still with losses

3DO figures for the third fiscal quarter, which ended on december 31st 2002, still reveal losses. The total earnings were only 4 Mio $ (compared to 15.2 Mio 4 in 3rd fiscal quarter of 2002). However, as 3DO pushed all top titles back to 2003, these numbers come as no surprise. The operational loss sums up to 'only' 5 Mio $, where up to 8 Mio $ were expected. For 2003, 3DO founder Trip Hawkins and two other investors will back up the company, and for 2003, positive figures are expected. <br>Maybe we shall see Might & Magic 10 one day after all?
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:17 am
Black_Lord
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well, I suppose they couldn't do worse than Might & Magic 9, or could they?
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:34 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Black_Lord
Well, I suppose they couldn't do worse than Might & Magic 9, or could they?
AMEN! It will be a cold day down south before I run out and buy a M&M title the day it's released again.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:27 am
The-Dim

Whiii!!... MM is one of the best rpg series ever. I dunno konw why. But almost every episode has a quantum of magic in it it seems. Even MM9. And mm10 could rule, if allowed!

-GJ-
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:46 am

Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

After the treatment of the developers of the Heroes series (most of them fired after the completion of 4) and the travesty that was M&M 9, I'll never buy another 3DO game. I loved M&M 6-8, and actually quite enjoyed 9 until I came upon a game stopping bug. And then another, and another. And the inability to fly, the utterly repetive music, etc.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:19 am
dagoo9

M&M 9 had great potential and I immensely enjoyed it until it became readily apparent that it was a sloppy build and had crippling game balance issues. Balance was an occassional issue with earlier M&M's but with this version it broke down completely. Probably due to rushing the game out and lack of playtesting and refinement.

To me game balance is one of the major factors of a game that makes it enjoyable and playable. You can have a great idea, a great story, great character development system, but the game ends up utterly losing my interest if there is a lack of balance. The prime example of this for me is Arcanum. I wanted to love it, but it was so unbalanced that I grew increasingly frustrated moved on to something else and have never returned.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 1:36 pm

Black_Lord
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I loved the series as well. The game (Might & magic 9) might have been good if it had not have been thrown out the door like an old cookie with bugs on it. lol Nothing like roaming an empty landscape with a few trees on it.

It just seemed to me the powers that be at 3DO said, "Ok well we have this unfinished game, and people like M&M so let's just make a few bucks off of the suckers. And look, it sold more copies than we expected!"

I also won't be buying another game from 3DO. I suppose if they released Might & Magic 10, and it was what 9 should have been, I might think about it. And that is after it gets throughly reviewed and play-tested, just not by me.
Post Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:41 pm