Can't remember the name of the game...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
odex
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Can't remember the name of the game...

All I remember is it was a RPG game, RPGDot kept running beastiary articles on it. Top down view like Baldur's Gate. Not too advanced graphically I think, but didn't look too shabby either.

The game looked really interesting, I think it was D&D rules, but not sure. The game has definitely not come out, but it seemed to be strongly anticipated, at least among the RPGDot community.

But I can't remember the name...

Anyone able to help out here?

I can't seem to find the beastiary articles now either, if I had I would obviously know the name.
Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:48 pm
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

So you're saying it's unreleased as yet, correct? If so, have you browsed through the Release List?
http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10055
If you cannot find it there, is there anything else you can recall? Character names, setting, etcetera? I'd love to help, but there just is not enough information for me to do so.
Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:43 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

You said it was 'unreleased' but the way you describe it makes me think maybe it was Divine Divinity, which was a great game. But good luck on your search.
Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:54 am
odex
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am certain it is unreleased, I'm actually starting to think it's cancelled, which would be such a shame. I read quite a lot about it, well, enough to know that I thought it seemed very good, I thought the style was very Baldur's Gate like. But it was a long time ago, at least a year or two, and it seemed that the news surrounding the game suddenly stopped, because I remember looking for it back then too.

All I can remember for certain was that either RPGDot or RPG Codex ran a bunch of features on the game, and some of those features were beastiaries. But I've searched through both websites and can't find the articles. Maybe they have been deleted? Not all the old stuff is on the sites?

Anyway, that's one certain thing. Another is that it was a singleplayer PC RPG. Top down view, good clean sharp graphics, but might not be 3D, more in the styles of Baldur's Gate. Part 2D, part 3D I guess.

Oh, and it's not Divine Divinity or Beyond Divinity, but the graphics are about the same.

This game seemed to have some good focus on roleplaying, not just hack'n'slash.
Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:23 pm
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Alright, a few more questions:
- Can you remember what the general atmosphere was like? That is, are we talking classic fantasy realm (i.e. - Icewind Dale, etcetera), eastern (Prince of Qin, etcetera), steampunk (Arcanum, etcetera), or something else? That would narrow it down a bit.
- Any chance you remember the name of the creatures you saw in the bestiary articles?
- Are you aware if it is/was to be released on more than one platform (i.e. - also for the PS2)?
If you think it may have been cancelled, you may want to stop by the (rather small) list of cancelled games at the Wikipedia, and see if any of the titles rings a bell:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cancelled_video_games#PC
Until then...
Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:00 pm
odex
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

First, thanks again for your continuing will to help out.

Atmosphere was classic fantasy, e.g. Baldur's Gate. Yes... definitely resemblant of Baldur's Gate. Unfortunately I can't remember any creature names from the articles, and as far as I remember it was not a cross-platform game.

ps: Is it spelled "bestiary" or "beastiary", and is it the same thing? On my searching I've seen both spellings, so I became quite unsure. Knowing the correct spelling would help me in my future searches ;) I always figured it was "beastiary", since it's an article on the different beasts.

I've been looking through the list of cancelled games, but no bells have rung. Which is actually a good thing :) At least now I have some hope of seeing this game, sometime.
Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:47 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

We don´t delete old features. If we posted them they´re still in the lists.
Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:37 pm
odex
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the information, I'll keep on looking then.
Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:41 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Ah. RPG Codex. Beastiaries.

GoldenLand. Never made an English release, I'm afraid.
Post Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:35 pm
odex
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

!! Thank you very much! That's it.

I just headed over to their webpage and recognized the game immediately.

But... that's a shame with the no english release thing then :(
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:01 am
booyah_boy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Well, thank goodness someone more experienced in the field chimed in on this thread (thanks Dhruin) as I had never even heard of Goldenland. On that note, it looks pretty good!
However, that is beside the point - at least, the point I am posting for - as I simply wanted to respond to your note of:
ps: Is it spelled "bestiary" or "beastiary", and is it the same thing? On my searching I've seen both spellings, so I became quite unsure. Knowing the correct spelling would help me in my future searches I always figured it was "beastiary", since it's an article on the different beasts.
The proper spelling is "bestiary", however, it is generally acceptable to make use of "beastiary" as an alternative spelling for such. You should note that many American-made games prefer to use said spelling (with an added "a", that is) in favor of the "classic" spelling (kind of a theater/theatre thing)
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:43 am
odex
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ah, thanks for clearing that up booyah_boy. English isn't my native language so when I'm unsure of something like spelling I'd rather just ask, than keep making the same mistake :)

Think I'll stick to the "classic" spelling, without the added "a".
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:49 am