what would you change in Kotor 2 from Kotor 1
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Knights of the Old Republic

Author Thread
Firnardaion_dark_prince
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

what would you change in Kotor 2 from Kotor 1

I would get rid of the Lvl Cap thing. I though it was pretty dumb. i dont know about everybody else but in all other RPGs i do my best to get all powers/magic. With Kotor i wasnt able to get all Feat or force powers. Cause of the Level cap thing. So in Kotor get rid of that.
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:36 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I'd like a Y axis.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:52 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

What do you mean by Y-Axis?

Do you mean a simple line running from top to bottom on the screen? Or do you mean something else?
Post Fri May 07, 2004 4:07 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

I think exactly like Korplem, to not only be able to move around the X axis of the camera.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Fri May 07, 2004 4:21 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I would like to see different side quests based on your force alignment. Kotor 1 had different items, dialogue, and different choices based on your force alignment. But, I would to see a Light Side Jedi be able to do and sometimes forced to complete missions that are not even available to a fallen Jedi/Sith Lord; as well as vice versa.
Post Tue May 11, 2004 8:14 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I would also like to see Jedi and Sith robes with hoods that can be pulled over your face, like Palpatine wears.
Post Wed May 12, 2004 8:11 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Re: what would you change in Kotor 2 from Kotor 1

quote:
Originally posted by Firnardaion_dark_prince
I would get rid of the Lvl Cap thing. I though it was pretty dumb. i dont know about everybody else but in all other RPGs i do my best to get all powers/magic. With Kotor i wasnt able to get all Feat or force powers. Cause of the Level cap thing. So in Kotor get rid of that.
They're implementing 'Prestige Classes', which my understand is that these will start at level 20, so you'll go from powerful Jedi to 'Weapon Master' or whatever.

I'm not too concerned about the camera or graphics...

The party and quest stufff I agree with - the more your alignment plays into things, the better - and the more being full light or dark has an impact, also better. For instance, say that 50% of side-quests were 'neutral' or available to anyone. 25% are 'full-light' and 25% 'full dark'. You would get other bonuses based on your alignment to make up for the lost quests to balance it out.

I'd also like to see party NPC's with different alignments try to kill each other ... and you. For instance - you are still neutral, and have a NPC who is also neutral (but close to full light, and you add in a dark sider. They belittle you as you take on more light side things, then as you get your 'light bonus', they start threatening you and your other NPC, then eventually ambush you ... it would be cool if they didn't even have to be in your 'active party' to do it.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Sat May 15, 2004 11:14 pm
Firnardaion_dark_prince
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

[/quote]The party and quest stufff I agree with - the more your alignment plays into things, the better - and the more being full light or dark has an impact, also better. For instance, say that 50% of side-quests were 'neutral' or available to anyone. 25% are 'full-light' and 25% 'full dark'. You would get other bonuses based on your alignment to make up for the lost quests to balance it out.

I'd also like to see party NPC's with different alignments try to kill each other ... and you. For instance - you are still neutral, and have a NPC who is also neutral (but close to full light, and you add in a dark sider. They belittle you as you take on more light side things, then as you get your 'light bonus', they start threatening you and your other NPC, then eventually ambush you ... it would be cool if they didn't even have to be in your 'active party' to do it.

Mike[/quote]
I dont think i like the Idea of party memebers attacking each other. I mean sure its sounds interesting at first. I mean im all for an NPC IA boost. Lets not make them that smart. I have to say that is the most orginal idea i have heard mike. So i have to give you props for that. Come on people lets keep this thing going.
Post Sat May 15, 2004 11:29 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Firnardaion_dark_prince

I have to say that is the most orginal idea i have heard mike. So i have to give you props for that. Come on people lets keep this thing going.
I would love to claim the idea as my own ... except that it was in Baldur's Gate II ...

There isn't much else that I wanted that I haven't read about as planned.

One cool thing is that the beginning isn't a 'point' but more like a 'nexus' ... the start of the game has you relating things that explain how the last game went in your play, and those are used as the factual basis for this game - and you still have more choices going forward.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Sun May 16, 2004 4:14 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Frankly, I'd change a lot.

Here's a shortened list:

1. Better combat in almost every way but I'd settle for more active feats and more difficulty.

2. Some balance between ranged and melee weapons.

3. Larger areas, cities that are at least the size of towns in almost any other RPG (Baldurs Gate, Athkatla, Khorinis for examples).

4. Lightsabres that aren't just high-damage swords.

5. Full support for the dark side.

6. Throw out the PC interface and start again.

7. Some real non-linearity.
Post Mon May 17, 2004 12:37 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
Frankly, I'd change a lot.

Here's a shortened list:
I'd recommend you not pre-order

Can you give more details on what you didn't like in KotOR and why (perhaps with what you did like in other games?)

I like the example of the large areas, especially having recently finished Gothic II, I love the idea of a large area like that. Dantooine was decent sized, but not that big.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Mon May 17, 2004 12:52 pm
Dhruin

Actually, I quite enjoyed KotOR; I was just frustrated it didn't reach the heights it could have. I'll probably buy it because despite the shortcomings, it was still a good game.

Spoilers follow...

OK...support for the dark side is one of my complaints. The limited classes and combat-oriented play means the dark side / light side is the main roleplay path -- which is fine because that's a central Star Wars theme. So why must I either convert Juhani to the light or kill her? Why can't I recruit her as a dark party member?

In fact, why become a Jedi on Dantooine if I want to be dark side (why do the Jedi [i]let[/] me join if I'm trying as hard as possible to be evil)? Why not let me travel to Korriban to become a Sith right from the start? Not only would it make sense, it would make the game less linear.

The fact is, while the whole game is about LS vs DS, it's not very consistent.

Ok, that's enough typing for today. You can read my review if you want more.
Post Wed May 19, 2004 1:10 pm
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
You can read my review if you want more.
Thanks for the link - that actually encapsulates your criticisms very well. Being a natural lightsider, I didn't really see that (had enough struggle roleplaying my dark side run as it was )

Sorry that I'm new here, didn't know you and presumed you might be of the 'meh, KotOR is teh sux0r' variety.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Wed May 19, 2004 3:41 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Dhruin

quote:
Ok, that's enough typing for today. You can read my review if you want more.

I agree with you on the Light/Dark Side plots being essentially the same. I would like to see a less linear game next time. The lightsabres are supposed to be overwhelmingly powerful because that is consistent with the Star Wars universe.
Post Wed May 19, 2004 5:53 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Personally I'd like to see less... umm... consolization (heh) of the game. I know they want to maximize their profits by minimizing required development for maximum number of platforms, but.. PLEASE! I hate the stupid console tailored GUIs. THEY SUCK! They may be the best thing since sliced bread on 300x200 resolution TV screen, but I RUN AT (at least) 1024x768 resolution! Horrible scrunched menus suck donkey nuggets! (sorry, the dark side made me lose my cool )

Find a way to scale up, or spend an extra 3-4 weeks on redoing the GUI for PC versions. End of story.

Beyond that, I'd like to be able to tell my PC/NPCs to STAY PUT! So many times I'm trying to granade some bad guy and my melee chars just refuse to stay far and keep running into my granade blasts.
Post Wed May 19, 2004 8:03 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next