Usergroups
is gamespot nuts??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Gaderath
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

i got this game last saturday, and havent been able to put it down under my own free will. sure my mom kicked me off and i had to go to school and stuff, but other then that i have really stopped at all. i had to pee last night for 7 hours b4 i got up and went. that beats Baldur's gates record of 4 hours...

anyway, i read GS's review of gothic, what game were they playing???? i love it, and while it does had its graphics and sound quirks, they dissappeared when i got the updated drivers for my hardware. and when he was commenting on the poor, slow, and choppy fighting i guess he must have been using a weapon without and training for it. i think the reviewer got to maybe lvl 2 b4 he stopped playing. the game seems weird at first but after an hour your so used to it that you feel like gaming god (not true in my case, i am a gaming god ).

does anyone else think the gamespots review is whacked? it makes me wonder how many games GS has dissed that i woul have liked...
Post Thu Dec 20, 2001 10:32 pm
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Increasingly Gamespot reviews are getting worse and worse. Most recently, their review of Ghost Recon was heavily criticised.

Anyway, as to the Gothic review, my only complaint would be to the lack of ability to assign the mouse button to walk/run in the game. Other than that Gothic rocks!
Post Thu Dec 20, 2001 10:44 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

There was another thread on this topic yesterday.
I also have the impression the author didnīt really play the game.

At least the reader rating is better. 8.4/10 after 109 reviews is pretty good.
Post Thu Dec 20, 2001 10:46 pm
The Sleeper
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

i guess the reason for that review is that xicat didn't pay them enough. lol
i didn't see any screenshots from sleeper temple, mines, etc.

"Gothic usually throws groups of at least two to three enemies at you (presumably to reinforce the fact that you're in a harsh, hostile world)." what a load of bullcrap, don't birds stay in packs, don't wolves do that.

"And using ranged weapons like bows can be even more frustrating, since attacking enemies from a distance invariably causes them to come charging straight at you."
thats what happens when you don't train in anything, no dextretiy, no bow skill.

"you'll wonder why the developers didn't simply implement an in-game map, which would have made navigating the game's huge outdoor areas much easier."
proof that he didn't get to chapter two

look at this screenshots, doesn't look like gothic at all http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/screens/0,11105,913888-60,00.html

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/screens/0,11105,913888-59,00.html
Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 1:07 am
The Sleeper
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

"Unfortunately, Gothic's architecture and scenery are generally rather plain."

swamp camp is plain?
old camp is plain?
new camp is plain?
sleepers temple is plain?
xardos' tower is plain?
all the tree's are exactly the same?
i bet $50 that he didn't even go into another world, old mine, free mine, cemetry, ocr camp

"We tested Gothic on a PIII 900MHz with 256MB RAM and a 32MB card, as well as on a PIII 450MHz with 128MB RAM and a 16MB 3D card. Even on the former system, which is well above the game's recommended specs, we still encountered some frame rate problems, and it ran so slowly on the latter machine that it was barely playable. And on both machines, Gothic had surprisingly long loading times."

i got a duron 800mhz, 256 ram,32mb geforce 2mx and i haven't experienced any frame rate problems

"Its action sequences are weak,"
the guy hasn't trained in weapons

"and its role-playing elements are straightforward--you gain experience points either by performing quests or fighting enemies and eventually gain levels that yield skill points."
so diablo 2, everquest which are rolpeplaying games are straight forward?

i advise everyone to go to gamespot website and give it a score it deserves

p.s. to see the screenshots, copy and paste the links in your browser, clicking won't work

Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 1:20 am
Gaderath
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

lol, those screenies are the original German version (i think).

as for the action sequences, increase your str and train with that weapon and you, i mean the scene, wont be weak.

the scenery plain? first off, where in the world is all the scenary exciting (other then Las vegas)? but for the most part the scenary is very well done. its very realistic and fits whatever area you in well. a mine looks very much like a mine and a camp full of rogues looks just like it should, with the cool twist of the ore mound in the middle. just because the scenery is realistic and true to what its potraying doesnt mean its plain.

i honestly believe that the guy who reviewed it must have played the german copy, plus he coulnt have gotten far. i wonder if he made it to the old camp, much less the new camp or the sect camp.

from now on, i am going to listen to firingsquad and ignore gamspot.
Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 1:39 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
lol, those screenies are the original German version (i think).

No, fortunately not.
I saw similar screenshots 1 1/2 years ago in a preview in a mag. This stuff is simply outdated.
Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 1:47 am

Wake up guys!! You love the game, fine. Someone does not, should be fine as well. Don't deny the truth and stop being too blind fans. I disagree in somewhat about gamespot review, but it had seeds of truth that you deny. I have EXCACTLY the same configuration as sleeper, and I DO have frame rate problems(interesting eh?). Nobody can either deny that the controls are deep from ass, Althought someone may live with it without being bothered too much.

I still like the game, part where graphics are said to be lame, I disagree. However, I respect the opinion of others, some seem not.

Enjoy the game, I do. But don't be foolish fanbois(someone used this word, describing).
Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 3:40 am

Why would our opinions be any less valuable then theirs? They voiced their opinion of some parts of the game, we are merely responding to that.
Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 6:57 am

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

The screenshots are from an obsolete development version, at least 2 years old. If they were taken to illustrate the article, this is totally misleading. If they are just in their gallery - ok.

Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 7:14 am

Yeah, I read Gamespot's review and was totally shock. I wonder whether he had the patience to go past the initial learning curve and got frustated with it. It was tough at first but after that the game flies man.

IMHO, it's simply one of my fav games for now and i totally stopped playing other games.

Hey, Gamespot, i had faith in your reviews in the past but now i'm not so sure. anyone can recommend me a more accurate site?
Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 9:10 am

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Does "32 mb" says everything?

There are 32mb versions of TNT2, wich we all know can handle up to 250 million instructions per second while GeForce 2 can handle about 5 billion.

GeForce 3 goes up to 7-9 billion.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Fri Dec 21, 2001 9:51 am

Go to http://www.pcgr.com for game reviews. Real reviews from people who actually played the games.
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 5:33 am

DABhand
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

OMG if we post 300+ posts do we get an avatar like Rendelius.... *SHUDDER*
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 6:05 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

I have more than 550 posts, and still have no options to change my avatar.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sun Dec 23, 2001 6:22 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next