0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 27

Author Thread
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

is CRPG genre going to die?

Do you think new CRPG developments are in any danger? I tend to think not. We got some great CRPGs recently and even though there arent all that many for the future, and even though many American developers have shifted their focus away from the CRPG, i try to be optimistic about this. European developers are really picking up. I know lots of Germans love to develop CRPGs, just look at Garagegames and check out all of those people making small CRPGs. But there is a feeling in the back of my brain saying, "Is this the beginning of the end or just the end of the beginning?" Then my rational mind takes over and says, "Things wont change much, there will always be good CRPGs to play." But i want to know what you people think about it. Do you think CRPGs are a small niche of people who were AD&D players at one time OR are CRPGs becoming more popular than ever? Do you think i have any need to worry about it in the first place? Look at the MMORPGs, although i know many of you are not fond of them. SWG has attracted 500,000 sign-ups for their beta test, and half of those are newcomers, and that doesnt reflect nearly all of the people who are waiting for it who are silent from the boards (like myself), but are eagerly awaiting it anyway. Thats half a million players for that game alone. But thats to be expected from such a large franchise (Star Wars). But there are only so many franchises to use: Star Trek, Star Wars, Middle Earth, ect. So do you think that the potential is there to reach millions of people eventually, or has the bottom of the barrel almost been reached? A few years ago developers looked at the MMORPG phenomenon and some said (namely, a Sony representative) that within 10 years, 10 million people will be playing those games. But is that realistic? I sure hope so. The more people who play CRPGs, the more funding developers will get and the more games we will have in this genre. So here's hoping for the future! Tell me what you think.

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:35 pm
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

I just hope single player CRPGs do as well as MMORPGs...since I don't play multiplayer games unless they have a single player with it like Diablo or BG.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:42 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

One good thing about having a lot of people playing MMORPGs is there is a better chance of finding someone that actually roleplays.

I don't really think the CRPG genre will die, though a lot of games are getting called RPGs that IMO have very little RPG elements in them. So I kinda think there will be more "RPG" games out there, though fewer "true" RPGs.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:31 am
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

Noooo Tell My Why What Do I do wrong???. Please tell me it won't happen and we all be happy again
Post Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:16 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

The CRPG genre certainly won't die, but I suspect it will be diminished somewhat from a variety of causes, including competition from MMORPGs and consoles. CRPGs can be complex/expensive to produce and I think while many of the large US publishers are working on risky MMORPG products they will play safe with their other releases in the meantime.

Thank heavens for the small devs who are prepared to take some risks for the sake of their 'art'.
Post Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:41 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

I agree with Dhruin.

Also, thanks god for European game developers (mostly small) with some incredible CRPG titles, especially when more and more American's game developers is all over a same piece of cake (MMORPGs).
Post Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:33 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

CPRG will survive.
They have and will have problems because they are not so popular and are difficult to develop (non-linearity, story...). But there are some adventages in this.
We can say that nearly only people who love this games will develop them, not people who want to be rich (or only rich).
Post Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:09 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Since there is no firm definition of CRPG, there is nothing to vanish - remember there is no agreement on what constitutes a CRPG, so there it cannot vanish only morph a bit. Like most things there will be evolution of the genre - but it will not vanish simply because there is nothing to vanish. Role playing (and role playing games as a subset) have been with us since (very likely) the beginning of human existance - it is part of what we do.
Post Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:11 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

CRPG will never die!
Post Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:47 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Well I actually enjoy CRPG/Action or CRPG/Adventure games more then "pure" CRPG's. Well I agree with most people. CRPG's will never die, but I don't think that there will be more titles in the nearest future. Maybe in the future, if it gets easier to develop the games.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:56 pm
Gothic Soul
Master of Shadows
Master of Shadows

Only thing I can say is that the CRPG's are getting better qualities but about the storys are too repetitive.
Post Tue Oct 15, 2002 3:57 am
Andro
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I think (or I hope) there's a bright future in store for RPG's. We've just been in a bit of a rut for a while. When I think of all my favorite RPG's most of them come from many, many years ago (the "Golden Age" of CRPGs) when RPGs actually outnumbered games of other genres. When the Hero's Quest series was in it's heyday.

I've been a little disappointed with some of the more recent RPGs. Most specifically Morrowind. I was looking forward to this game for years and when it finally arrived I just couldn't bring myself to like it, no matter how much I tried. I think a lot of recent RPGs have lost a lot of substance with devs trying to appeal to a wider audience by throwing in various action elements and lots of eye candy at the cost of the gameplay.

Hopefully devs know there is a market out there for good old-fashioned RPGs with layers of depth
Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 7:30 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I think that number of CRPGs in last year shows that this area is rich on good titles. So there a lot of life not death...
Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:55 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Interesting question.

In my opinion, CRPGs won't die, not in any near future at any rate. It's too healthy right now, despite what some people might say. For publishers, the CRPG genre right now is a seller, so it won't die. What will happen though, is that CRPGs will evolve into something new, which we have begun to see this year.

On the PC side, I believe that we will start to see perhaps a few less titles coming out than we've had in recent years. But those few titles will stay on our hard drives longer. The future for CRPGs lie in MODs. Morrowind proved it works, NWN further proved it can actually be the basis of a game design. I think more and more CRPGs will adopt this design because it lengthens the life of a title beyond the usual 60+ hours we expect out of a RPG without them needing to create any more massive worlds for the player to explore. Multiplayer, without being massive, will also play an important role in the future of CRPGs. Many people have already pointed an accusing finger at Morrowind for not having any multiplayer capabilities, saying that it's the game's main flaw.

CRPGs won't die yet. And I don't expect MMORPGs to replace single player RPGs. If anything MMORPGs will further develop into its own sub-genre and will turn out to be completely different from single player games. Heck, it already is but for some reason single player fans feel threatened by MMORPGs... The only thing that might happen to the single player genre which comes directly from the MMORPG experience, is that it will have more multiplayer capabilities. And that is a good thing, believe it or not [/b]
Post Wed Oct 16, 2002 3:07 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Other game genres come and go, but RPG's are forever. RPG's are like Heavy Metal music. It kinda fades into the background for a while, and while all the trendy B.S. is defining who the posers and the lamers, and the one-hit-wonders are, it's preparing for its Next Coming. There is no replayability besides multiplayer in FPS. RTS has some replayability because of the de`rigeur 4 or 5 races, and the multiplayer. But RPgs are replayable forever IMHO. Knights and dragons and wizards are burned into our brains from the myths of ages long past, just the basic themes of RPG games can be re-hashed ad infinitum unlike other themes and subjects. Any game with real longetivity must have personal development, as MMORPGs do, and they are the wave of the future. People thought Dungeons and Dragons would die out in the early 80's, when in fact all it has done is change its face, and progress with the times, for RPG's are eternal.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:41 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next