Any sword fighting tips?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Mad Mike
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Any sword fighting tips?

As a follow up to the 2 handed vs. 1 handed debate I wonder if anyone has any useful sword fighting tips.

My own experience is limited to 1 handers and although I have picked up a few things by trial and error I cannot claim to be an expert.

I have really only two basic strategies:

For "dumb" creatures (those without a weapon) I find that repeated sideswipes pretty much always does the trick. Each swipe does a bit of damage and keeps the creature at bay.

Repeated sideswipes also works for orcs and lizard men but for most weapon bearing creatures and for human opponents I have found that block hit block hit seems to work better. It all depends on timing - If you pull off a successful block you can usually get in a free hit.

Overhead hits seem to be less useful than sideswipes because you cannot keep hitting repeatedly - I know that if I hit overhead a few times in quick succession my sword does a very fancy twirl and then ends up stuck in the air doing nothing. I am sure I am missing the point here. Perhaps I am not skilled enough (50 in one handed) to pull off any fancy combos.

One thing that annoys me is the time taken to draw a sword when in combat. If I stumble on an enemy unexpectedly I hammer away at the 1 key and as often as not nothing happens before I am devoured. This also prevents me from using a ranged weapon to soften up an enemy from a distance before switching to a sword for the coup de grace. Once the beast has me in its sights the chances of me being able to draw a sword in time are very small. Will this improve with skill level?
Post Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:19 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there Mad Mike,

You seem to have the general idea, but a few further tips may help.

Yes, as you progress higher, pc-hero draws his weapon very fast, no question.
About the forward thrust/overhead, each time you thrust you will notice a slight
inching forward nearer to the opponent, when your sword comes to a hold position, with careful timing (practice) you can forward thrust again, hold for a second, then again till the end "Z", about 4 thrusts, but a better way using either forward or side swipes is to hold and keep your finger on "block" (reverse) and then attack (still holding "block") this will ensure little or no space of time for the opponent to get a swipe in. Using this method "especially
with one handers" with be so fast the enemy will be "dazzled" by the speed.

Post Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:29 pm
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I could use some help with this too. Why is it when I hold down the mouse/ctrl key and hit forward key and then either left or right I lunge and then side step instead of slashing LR? It happens if I lunge first. G1 didn't do that. Can it be changed in the ini or something? Also when swinging a two hander I find it difficult to keep my swing going back and forth. I swing to the right then hit left key, sometimes I swing left and sometimes I just drop the weapon back to the standby position. Why?

Many thanks.
Post Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:29 am
Mad Mike
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hey Wulf I thought from a previous post of yours that you considered weapons to be for wimps and that barefisted is the only way to go

Seriously though thanks for the tips. I will practise my forward thrusts. Do they do more damage if you get the combo right?

Are there any fancy combinations (eg press a couple of keys at once for super duper strike? ) . I tried pressing combinations of keys but like Phil5000 I find that if I mix overhand and side swipes I end up jumping from side to side.

Even without being an expert at swordplay I notice that it gets considerably easier to stay alive as you progress levels. I am now at level 21 and with armour class of up to 100 I find I can wade through hordes of orcs where as before I needed to gingerly pick them off one by one. I am off to fight some dragons now so I assume that there are tougher challenges ahead.
Post Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:23 pm
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Mike
Seriously though thanks for the tips. I will practise my forward thrusts. Do they do more damage if you get the combo right?

Are there any fancy combinations (eg press a couple of keys at once for super duper strike? ) .

no the damage stay the same per strike .
no there isn't there's combo's which r nice ti watch but there isn't a super duper strike.
on human oppenets - divide them into groups
10-80 xp - these run at u swinging and u can get a shot in and they also can only do one attack at a time meaning there's a couple of seconds between attacks where u can get an attack in
80-180 xp - close to range and then attack can use two attacks in a quick combo
180 xp and onwards - three combo attacks or more watch out from those
Post Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:33 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

O.k,

cptmaxon is "spot on" when he says "the damage stays the same per strike"

so following on from that, is is logical to assume the more strikes per opponent strike (or parry) the better, this is the secret to effective slaughter.

There is only 1 way for mass fast killing of multiple enemies:-

1. equip the fastest weapon, (one handers), please dont argue about two
handers.

2. With practice, it is possible to learn turning slightly during combat, while
doing this:- press left/ctrl then forward, then release left/ctrl, repeat this
rapidly in succession (this "releasing" lets the opponent come forward to
you, and of course this is when you slice him, without pressing any other
keys than mentioned, you will automaticaly go on to the next kill.

@ Mad Mike,

The fist fights can only be done with VERY HIGH stats
Post Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:06 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

You didn't cheat to get those high stats did you wulf

More fight tips, Against snappers Dragon snappers and wargs, as there charging at you wait and as there about to attack jump backwards one step and they will miss you leaving them open to a quick combo from you, this is loads easier with a 1 handed weapon

Against orcs,lizard men as they run at you when they get close they will blindly swing at you you can sidestep tho avoid this and get behind them leaving them open to a counter attack, this is easier with a 2 handed weapon because they carry on running while your steping around them and can sometimes get to far away for you to reach them

Note: when side stepping to avoid a blow always go Your right otherwise you will get hit.
Post Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:19 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Yeah Graham 2,

That side-stepping is a cool move.

quote:
You didn't cheat to get those high stats did you wulf

Me Cheat! i would'nt dream of such a thing.

Post Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:29 pm
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

And even if he cheated, so what it's would be his own choice and you can't stop him.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:00 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Yeah EDV,

Cheating (after you've finished with the game) is good for you, you can learn much that you would otherwise not know. For example:-

If you tweek your stats way up high, say 500 dex with the best bow etc'
when you fire an arrow at an opponent which is a long way away, barely visible
(make sure you tweek up your far viewing distance) he/it will be killed but you don't know this untill you run to his/its dead body, , , accuracy does increase in proportion to the "bow" stats, you could stand on a cliff and kill many opponents like this, and they dont know where the arrows are comming from.

Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:52 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

If you want to draw your sword faster use the spacebar to draw it.
Tips: When fighting two or more people by your lonesome, here is the way I find that works: Take a couple of quick swings at the nearest opponent. The other enemy will probably strafe and try to flank you, so take a few steps backwards to prevent him doing this. By now he will probably be closer to you, so take a few swipes at him and then repeat the process. Try to use objects near you for "cover." Sometimes you can get one opponent temporarily stuck behind an object, thus giving you a chance to beat the other opponent.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:26 am