Gothic 3: Preview and new screenshots @ Multiplayer.it
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Gothic 3: Preview and new screenshots @ Multiplayer.it

Multiplayer.it has posted a new <a href="http://www.multiplayer.it/articolo.php?id=20722" target="_blank">preview</a> of Gothic 3. It's in Italian, but for everybody who doesn't understand Italian they have a new set of <a href="http://www.multiplayer.it/galleria.php?id=6331&page=1" target="_blank">screenshots</a>.<BR><BR>Among others you can find several landscapes, a screen with a mighty bastion and one where the orcs are using their slaves to mine iron.<BR><BR>
Post Wed May 10, 2006 1:43 am
Dr. A

Somebody please translate the article - Google's language tools' just aint cutting it
Post Wed May 10, 2006 1:44 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

BTW, the graphics really looks nice.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 6:45 am
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
BTW, the graphics really looks nice.

So they do, but they really should redesign their HUD, its terribly plain.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 4:23 pm

Some snippets:

"The engine is of good quality and focused on the game-play with features such as weight and momentum of your weapon being taken into account during combat . When you attempt to climb something, instead of hitting the classic -invisble wall- your character will slide and fall down."

"Combat interface is similar to Oblivion, with real-time action based on mouse mevement with a great variety of styles and combined to different weapons. Each strike will require timing in order to surpise your opponent and you can even line up differnet kind of combos"

"It's too early to measure the level of interactivity with the game-world but for what we've seen, any item a NPC can operate will also be interactive with the player"

"Looks like you can kill anybody in the game, even quest-givers. If you're worried about not getting the promised reward, you can always take it from his dead body"

Nothing else of note .. almost half of the first page (the preview) is an introduction to the Gothic serie.

You can read a trasnlated interview on page 3 here (if you didn't already):

http://www.multiplayer.it/articolo.php?id=20722&page=3
Post Wed May 10, 2006 5:10 pm

doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I realize that the Gothic series has never been about graphics, but those screenshots don't look that good. The HUD looks god awful, and the rest looks just okay. Also, it seems like almost every screen looks the same. I'm still looking forward to it though. Gothic still has the best "living game world" of any game on any platform.
Post Wed May 10, 2006 5:25 pm
Father Omally

Leaves me spellbound by blessings graphical

Gothic indeed The majestic grand castles look like the real thing unlike Bethesda's Oblivion castles that look like cardboard cutouts from a 1930 movie set.The Npcs and creatures are also very lifelike. A work of gaming art in the making!
Post Wed May 10, 2006 5:31 pm

Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

quote:
Originally posted by doctor_kaz
I realize that the Gothic series has never been about graphics

I know that the view of people outside German-speaking territories might be a little skewed because it took so long before the Gothics were released elsewhere but Gothic I was actually completely amazing looking at the time it came out in Germany (March 2001). The viewing range was totally unmatched at that time. Other games were still 2D isometric back then and FPS games (most of which were based on the Q3 engine in 2001 like RtCW for example) had pretty limited environments.
The wide open world of Gothic where you could look over the land for miles and miles was pretty innovative back then.
Gothic II came out in late 2002 and -yes- it was overall probably beaten by Morrowind in the graphics department but not by far IMHO because Morrowind was lacking the dense forests that Gothic II had.

Anyway, I agree that the graphics in these screenshots look more like a souped up version of Gothic II rather than something completely new. Looks like Oblivion will remain the best looking RPG for a little while longer.
Regarding the HUD, I agree as well. Let's hope that those are placeholder graphics just like the main character is, too.

Well, I'm actually kind of glad that the looks didn't change too drastically. This way the game still has the typical Gothic look & feel which is awesome .
Post Wed May 10, 2006 7:44 pm

Oblivion has the better graphics true .. but Gothic has something that Oblivion doesn't, which is FAR .. FAR more important than mere eye candy.

No .. i'm not talking about gameplay .. i love both Gothic and the TES serie ..

What Gothic has (and plenty of it) is ATMOSPHERE!

Gothic is a VERY atmopsheric game, a powerful environment for the player to lose themselves into.

Oblivion .. Big world yeah .. nice .. but .. i never ever felt i was part of the oblivion world .. Mostly become almost all charachters in the TES serie are .. how to put it .. forgettable ..

I will never forget when i downloaded years ago the demo for the first Gothic .. Walking off the path leading to old camp .. I was sold after not even 10 minutes into the demo and pre-ordered right away.

A testament to the creativity and skills of the developers.

I can't waith for Gothic 3 .. i'm sure it will blow our RPGminds away once again.

"My mechanic said .. Buy German"
Post Wed May 10, 2006 8:57 pm