Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
As a Firemage, how am I supposed to kill the Trolls?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
moonshadow
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I tried summoning 2 Golems to fight that Demon u find right before the stone dragon...well, those two Golems started to fight eachother
Maybe summoned Demons have higher IQ?
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:45 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by moonshadow
I tried summoning 2 Golems to fight that Demon u find right before the stone dragon...well, those two Golems started to fight eachother
Maybe summoned Demons have higher IQ?

They probably accidentally hit eachother and identified eachother as enemies or something. I've killed dragons with the help of golems and they were very friendly towards eachother... although I sometimes had the feeling they wanted to take me on as soon they had killed the dragon.
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:33 pm
moonshadow
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well, guess I try summoning a couple of golems again, last time I just summoned one, and he didnīt even get close to the dragon. The fire from the dragon kept him away. But I think he got one or two hits on the dragon, but that didnt hurt the dragon at all.
But with two golems..well. gotta try that

Donīt wanna use that demon-summon-scroll I have, 'cause then I wonīt have any to the other 2 dragons
at least I got 8 golem-scrolls. yaay

EDIT:
finally got him, with the help of a summoned Demon, but that was just barely enough. So i'm supposed to summon Demon for the next 2 dragons as well then

Now, if I only could find an easy way to kill Demons(not the summoned ones, duh)
Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:58 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Glad you got the win BTW, a tactic I use is to summon fast creatures.....lets say one demon can do 100 damage and one goblin skeleton can do 10 damage(those figures are prolly not right but it is not my point). 10 goblins skeletons then equal one demon, but they survive much longer because the enemy can't focus on a single creature......and the other 9 are whacking away.

If you have(in this case) the dragons attention with skeles, you can choose your attack and kick butt. Think about it.......would you rather face one demon or 10 goblin skeles???? And btw, I normally have army of darkness, not goblins

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:22 am
moonshadow
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

army of darkness..hm, that would have been nice to have, but thatīs not until CH6 or something, right?

I was thinking about that theory too, summon a lot of skellies, but I went for just one summoned demon for that dragon at least. I just thought that, the summoned demon surely got more HP than goblin skeletons, and that the dragons fire would hit more than just one of my "allies", and they would probably die after one or to hits.

But, nah, I dunno, i'm gonna try that tactic on the Fire Dragon

however, can the skellies *reach* the dragon? Just a thought, since my Golems didnt seem to reach the dragon to get a single hit on him, 'cause the dragons fire pushed the Golem back all the time
Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:42 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Army of darkness is a circle 3 rune, possibly circle 4......it has to be.

When I go to VoM's in chapter 2 I only kill the things that will respawn. In other words I don't mess with the orcs. When I go back later I use Army of Darkness ALOT to clear out the respawned creatures, lizardmen, and dragons. I also save as many orcs as possible for even later when I have Wave of Death rune........it is just toooooo dam fun watching that rune smoke everything within sight I tried Maylanders trick using speed potion and Rain of Fire and it is pretty cool, but Wave of Death is my favorite.

During a dragon battle I just stand there drinking mana and summoning Army of Darkness. I don't know why, but after several skeles start hitting the dragon, he will stop flying....then dies rather quickly as 15-30 skeles hack him up. I don't know why he does'nt simply stay aloft and wipeout my summonings.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:33 pm
moonshadow
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

so early for Army of Darkness? hm, how come I havent seen it?
I read on another site, their list of magic and which circle u get it in, and according to that table, AoD is a Circle 6 spell.

i'm about to play with the 3rd dragon now, so I guess I should summon a Demon this time again, or maybe try that multiple goblin/skelies.
Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:00 pm
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Getting back to trolls - the simplest trick for a fire magician to use is to stand back a fair distance and summon two skeletons. Then charge at the troll. When you get close enough the troll usually poses a bit to indicate he's going to pound your head in. Get in fairly close, lock onto it then begin strafing left or right. When you get far enough to either side (or behind) the troll will begin turning to face you before he can attack. Keep strafing to avoid this, if he changes direction, you do to. Every time you are roughly behind him, give him a whack with your weapon. This will keep his attention on you instead of the skeletons who will be busy cutting him to ribbons. Two skeletons are enough for a normal troll. The black trolls is a different case though, I found they only got him down to about 50% health before they ran out of time. In that case I just ran away and summoned two more.

The strafing trick works for non-mages, you just keep whacking and don't summon in any monsters - which is optional anyway since you can cast spells from a scroll.
Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:15 pm
moonshadow
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Here I go off-topic again
But is there an easy way to kill those pesky Demons? Really, 'cause they give me h-ll
None of the spells I've tried so far do any dmg to them (sure, a LITTLE dmg but not much)
And I know that I'm going up a couple of demons very soon, and those I've already met...well, I donīt stand a chance
Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:03 am
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
But is there an easy way to kill those pesky Demons? Really, 'cause they give me h-ll
None of the spells I've tried so far do any dmg to them (sure, a LITTLE dmg but not much)
And I know that I'm going up a couple of demons very soon, and those I've already met...well, I donīt stand a chance

Where are you up to? You could always fight fire with fire and summon in your own demon - possibly from a scroll. Gating in a half dozen skeletons might do the trick also.
Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:36 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

As a Firemage, how am I supposed to kill the Trolls?

If you're in the Valley of Mines, you can always hire the Dragon Hunter Biff to distract the dragons while you deal out the damage (or the other way around? ).

He's at least as much help as Cipher and Rod are with the Swamp Dragon.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:54 am
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
so early for Army of Darkness? hm, how come I havent seen it?
I read on another site, their list of magic and which circle u get it in, and according to that table, AoD is a Circle 6 spell.

i'm about to play with the 3rd dragon now, so I guess I should summon a Demon this time again, or maybe try that multiple goblin/skelies.
Nothing beat the demon against dragons, I think they has a very high protection agaisnt dragon fire.

But the two mercenaries or Biff are a good change and also kill a few alone is a bit fun. Just a bit because the truth is that they are poorly designed bosses.
Post Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:08 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

To get back to the original subject of this thread, I found that a Fire Mage can kill a troll with just Fire Arrow spells. Just like there is a minimum damage rule for weapons (such that you can -- eventually -- kill a troll with a heavy branch), there is a similar rule for magic damage. I found that Fireball does very little, but still some, damage to trolls. Just for a test I tried a Fire Arrow and I found that it does about the same damage, but for a lot less mana.

I then killed two trolls in the add-on world using just Fire Arrows. I lured them to places where they could not move towards me but that I could still target them with spells. It took me 4 full recharges of mana before I killed each one but using spells has the advantage that they don't miss their target as often as arrows do.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:05 pm
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

quote:
Originally posted by Holywhippet
quote:

Where are you up to? You could always fight fire with fire and summon in your own demon - possibly from a scroll. Gating in a half dozen skeletons might do the trick also.

Demons are easy. Just get a weapon (both one-handed and two-handed should work) and swing left-right-left-right. You gotta practice a little and once you get the right tempo demons are pie. Left-right always worked for me, the demons don't get a single hit.
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:43 pm
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Re: As a Firemage, how am I supposed to kill the Trolls?

quote:
Originally posted by imposteraz
If you're in the Valley of Mines, you can always hire the Dragon Hunter Biff to distract the dragons while you deal out the damage (or the other way around? ).

He's at least as much help as Cipher and Rod are with the Swamp Dragon.

Funny, for some reason Biff was too chicken and didn't wanna fight the rock dragon with me so I never though he was of much use when it came to dragon slaying.
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:46 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next