Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How do I become a fighter mage?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread

I am at the end of chapter 3 and I have collected all the focus stones but not yet given them to Saturas in New camp. I am at level 19(about 1500 points away from level 20) and belong to the old camp as a guard. I still have the option of becoming a fire mage with Corristo. I have mastered 1 handed weapons, and have 65 strength without jewelry and about 90 with jewelry. I currently have 15 points in mana. I have not yet used any potions that give a permanent increase in stats nor have I received the +5 strength from Horatio yet. At the moment I have 70 skill points unused.

Ideally I would like to master 2 handed swords and get all 6 schools of magic. Is that possible or should I just get trained in 2H swords or should I ignore it completely.

What is the best way of becoming a fighter mage? Do I become a fire mage now or wait to become a member of the new camp. If I join the new camp as a mercenary can I still switch to a water mage?

As I do not replay games I want to get as much as possible from the game in playing once.
Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 6:53 pm

Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

You will NOT have enough points (unless you cheat in one of several ways) to become ALL - ALL as a fighter AND as a Mage. As well, the fighting styles are completely disimilar - so you really won't be doing both. I would suggest picking one and then using the other only as a minor adjunct.

Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:33 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

My experiences:
I had enough skill points to be master - bow with enough dext. and 6th circle mage.
But I had not enough skill points to learn crossbow after I learnt bow.
So your situation is maybe similar. You will have enough skill points to be 1h master with enough strenght and 6th circle mage, but you will not have enough to learn 2h weapons.

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-01-21 14:23 ]
Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 8:22 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Hmmm, I dont know about these guys, but my 1st Gothic game I finished I was
Level 35 2H Master Sword, 6th Circle Mage
Not one lick of exp put into Dex or the Bows.
Now if you really want to be it all you will have to kill lots of Daemons in the Sleeper Temple. You can reach any level you want if you have the patience to keep killing them (+600xp ea and easy to kill)

Also, Horatio's Str bonus does NOT add on to Str after you've maxed it our...so use it NOW.

Also, unless you are going to be a mage or you want that 6th circle run, dont waste your points in magic. Maybe get 3-4th circle just for a few fireballs and to heal and use light spell. Other than that, str is your friend
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 2:24 pm

You can do it.

I would have if I had trained in 2hs before being exhiled from the OC.

When I finished the game, I was Level 36, STR around 190 and around 140mana, about 600 life. Dex around 50. All without artifacts. I used protection ones the whole game. I was 6th circle Necromancer, Master Lockpicker, learned sneaking, acrobatics, pickpocketing, Master 1hs, and I would have had enough to master 2hs if I had taken a little more time before getting exhiled. You CAN do it. Just takes some time. And my char was pretty much invincible. I could stand still and the Orc Temple Warriors would take like over a minute to kill me. With all those potions you get throughout the game, it's very simple.
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 10:44 pm

Wraist
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

just use the summon scrolls to create skeletons/demons/golems and kill them for a lot of xp
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 11:42 pm
NecroDancer
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

In my opinion you are a long way away and have many more levels and skill points to get. My average level at the end of the game is about 35-40. Especially if you do the hunt and the choramian book tour.
If you decide to go Fire Mage. Do not spend any skill points on dexterity or learning bow/crossbow. I did learn hunting since the cost was so cheap and the return in investment great. I would not bother with lock picking or Pickpocketing.unless you choose Thief as your career.
The strength you have now is decent. Eventually you need to max it out so you can take all your potions.
It will take 70 skill points to get to the 4th circle of magic.
When you turn in all the stones you may go up several levels. Enough to get Circle 5 of magic.
But there still is a lot of upclose battles to win so strength is a great friend in that department.
The Storm of Fire is a great Rune. I once kept 7 Orc dogs at bay burning up while I charge up another blast.
I believe you may be given the opportunity to swtich to water mage. If you do, they have superior armor. Plus being a fire and water mage you can get Xardas's armor later on.
You cannot obtain Level 6 until you reach a certain level of experience.
I thoroughly enjoyed the game as a guard the first time I played, mastering 2h and crossbow.
Then I had a better time as a Templar and circle 4 magic.
But the best game was when I was a Fire mage, then Water mage, then work for Xardas and make circle 6 of magic.
I just finished a game as a Ranger.
Mastering 1h,2h and Bow. That game was fun too. Now I want to do it all over again. :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: NecroDancer on 2002-01-23 00:53 ]
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 6:44 am

You can join the Water Mages and go into the 6th Circle and become a Necomancer if you Joined the new camp as a guard, and never did anything with the Mages of Fire.
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 7:53 am

ShadowDefender
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You should join the Mages Of Fire, Get all the runes and spell scrolls you can from the mages of fire, get the high robe of fire,learn one handed weapons from Scatty and then make sure you've done all the looting that you want in the OC and give the stones to Saturas.
After you do this you can become a Mage of Water, then Lee will be able to teach you two handed weapons, Scorpio will be next to Cavalorn, he can teach you crossbow, and Cavalorn can teach you bow and sneaking.You can learn pickpocketing and lockpicking from Wedge, and you can learn acrobatics from buster, that should caver everything, so basically as long as you don't kill anyone.
Post Wed Jan 23, 2002 4:17 pm