Atari Starts More BG3 and NWN2 Rumours
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Atari Starts More BG3 and NWN2 Rumours

Well...Atari public relations forum resident "Grok" has posted a *very* interesting answer on the Atari forums in response to a query about the quality of their games. Here it is, without further preamble:<blockquote><em>All crap...? You either need to expand your sample size or refine your expectations. Here are some fantastic recent Atari titles:
<br>
<br>Godzilla: DAMM
<br>APEX
<br>Battle Engine Aquila
<br>DBZ
<br>D&D Heroes
<br>Civ 3
<br>Rollercoaster Tycoon
<br>NWN
<br>Unreal Tournament
<br>Unreal Championship
<br>
<br>Huge titles on the horizon:
<br>
<br>RCT3
<br>NWN2
<br>BG3
<br>Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
<br>Driver 3
<br>
<br>And, several others.
<br>
<br>There's good and bad with any publisher folks. We've got more good than bad although at times it can be hard to see when you're particularly frustrated with a single title or recent experience. It's the same with every publisher in the business...we're not in the business to stick it to consumers we just miss the mark on some titles.</em></blockquote>Now, I must point out the post is date-stamped April 1st. However, he goes on to say:<blockquote><em>No April Fool's Joke.
<br>
<br>We've got dozens of titles in all stages of development. We're currently talking with several top developers about creating the next generation of our strongest D&D RPGs. This really shouldn't be a surprise...lots of RPG goodness in the future from Atari.</em></blockquote>Read it all <a href="http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=f196998b01e1b5bdb93d59645c029156&threadid=363946" target="_blank">here</a>. Discuss!
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:45 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Where is ToEE? It wasn't on the list.
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:49 am
magerette

That was posted on the ToEE (Atari)boards--afraid ToEE was included as part of the "All crap" that the rest of the list wasn't.
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:48 am

Farscry
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That's depressing, since ToEE is my favorite D&D title since Baldur's Gate 2 (the pc game, not Dark Alliance, which I consider an action RPG instead of a straight up RPG). I would love a sequel to ToEE, or even another unrelated adventure with the same engine that can continue character progression beyond 10th level (say, an adventure that runs from min 8th level to max 16-18, and you could either import your party from ToEE or create new characters starting at 8th, as an incentive to play through the first game)
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:38 am
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

NWN2 and BG3? I wouldn't mind not seeing TToE2, period. Both are much better (at least for me ). But who's finishing BG3? Atari's own dev team?
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:04 am

Bah, who cares if there will be a BG3. It will just be another Diablo clone, unless they are finishing project Jefferson. Otherwise with Black Isle gone and Bioware having soundly renounced their past BG is dead (well Id trust Troika to do it, after a few patches, but I doubt Atari would agree).
Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:54 pm

Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I dunno. I woud like to see a new BG title, but I have my doubts about both Jefferson project being finished by another team, as no matter how good it is, it is not the same as being finished by the people that have started it, as opposed to a brand new development - how good it will be, and won't it suck if they actually decide to continue the Bhaal-spawn saga (Although as I have long-time thought no matter what, it would be cool if we ever see a BG 3 to be able to import our BG2ToB charachter as the actual God of Murder, won't it?).
As for NWN 2, I have high doubts about it, too -> First of all, as I recenlty finished it I find it more of an action-RPG title, rather than a true RPG. Secondly, Bioware have recently stated (or so was the info that I read on a Bulgarian site that had the news of NWN2 being at development at Bioware, and 1 day later it was said that Bio have stated that they have no plans for a NWN2) that they are not developing it, and that means that Atari must have hired a new team to do the job (much like the situation with the rumoured KotOR 2 a.k.a Project Delaware being develoing at Obsidian and the Shadows of Undrentine expasnion -> Bio start the franchize and let someone else do the work on a sequel).
Anyway, i would love to see a new game with the ToEE engine, as it has all the things I want in a D'n'D RPG - party and good combat. Combained with a good story, that could turn out marvelluous.
Further thoughts : Maybe Atari has hired Troika to finish Jefferson/start new development on BG3 ? That would sure be good news. The only good news, especially if they combine the ToEE engine with the Jefferson story, only doubt in this case is that as Jefferson was planned as a low-level party game, it would be much same like ToEE. And I doubt that in this way they would make a
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:36 pm
Digital Nightfall

By BG3 they just mean Dark Alliance 3. That's my hunch.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:29 pm

Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
Anyway, i would love to see a new game with the ToEE engine...

Don't use the ToEE engine! Keep the combat system, junk the clunky Arcanum engine. Bad pathfinding, laggy framerates ... etc.

BG3 = Dark Alliance 3? Can't be coz Interplay owns the rights to DA3.
Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:30 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Most definately BG3 doesn't have to do anything with BG : DA 3 ... unless Interplay was bought from Atari, but that is either very unlikely or I haven't been reading the proper news colums over the Net ...
Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:04 pm

The pathfinding problem is directly related to the laggy framerate ... so if they fix the first the second will follow. For the rest it seems a very decent engine, if you dont mind the 2D backgrounds ... if all the 2D artwork is of TOEE quality it is a liveable compromise though.

What Id really like is the Silent Storm graphics/physics combined with turnbased D&D ruleset though. Magic should be able to bring the house down
Post Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:05 pm