Usergroups
Oblivion PC system requirements posted
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

It certianly seems to be a good time to upgrade as prices seem to be falling quicker than normal, if you can afford it.
The only hesitation for me is that DX10 cards coming out later this year and are NOT backwards compatible with DX9, if I recall.

If I understand this correctly if a DX10 game is released we with current DX9 cards will not be able to play it without some kind of software simulation, which is another burden on the GPU.

I hope someone whom is more up to date, will better info us so we do not throw away $200 to $600 on a video card that will possibly be obsolete in 6 months when the first DX10 games start releasing.
Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:53 am
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Best card to get right now?

It's super confusing as to which card to get right now in the sub 200 range. Will these DX10 cards be backwards compatible? I would think they would be. Is it worth it to wait for one of these cards or will they be super expensive anyways?
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:23 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I would recommend to wait for DX10 cards only to those having good cards already (such cards that will allow you to play whatever game you want in whatever setting you think to be acceptable). Otherwise upgrade. It is quite cheap nowadays and DX10 are still too far away.
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:53 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

bah, at this point in order to upgrade one asepct of my computer I'll be forced to upgrade it all, my mother board is old , my pentuim 4 2.4gh processor doesn't have the right number of pins to fit in a new motherboard, and my ati pro 9800 256mb, won't fit the standard pci express cards, I'm waiting till gothic 3 gets out for a whole new computer till then, oblivion will just have to cope.
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:09 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Not getting Oblivion for a year or so..

I just looked at Morrowinds reccomended specs.. My computer is well above those specs. Ti4200, 512MB, Athlon XP 1600. Still I can't turn up the graphics settings and experience some FPS issues. No way am I going to build a computer that meets the recommended specs for Oblivion and have it fall short. Just going to keep playing Morrowind until the top of the line hardware prices fall some. Then build a puter that is well above recced specs and buy the game for less because the price will have fallen. Game companies should make games that will run well on the majority of newer gaming hardware.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:26 pm
TheCleric
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Well, I'm running a P4 2.8Ghz, with 800FSB, 1Gig of PC400 and an ATI AIW 9800 Pro, which is just going to have to do.

I usually play at 1024 x768 resolution and like to use 2X AA. So far my rig has been able to handle anything I've thrown at it including Doom 3, so I think I'll be able to get acceptable performance for Oblivion. Time will tell.
Post Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:08 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2