What do you read?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

What do you read?

What do you read, RPGDotters? What kinds of books, What authors?.. What's popular here?
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:54 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Join Worshippers of the Written Word usergroup and find all the answers

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:27 am
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

i read words... mostly english...

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:52 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

First, I second what stanthony said.
I read mostly fantasy, though I try to stay away from the whole Elves and Fairies kind of stuff and stick to less fantastical, and hopefully a little darker, stuff. And then every so often I try to stick in a classic like a Shakespearian play or Dostoevsky or something all smart-like like that. A couple days ago I started reading a chronicle of Salam Pax’s internet diary. I’d say the name of the book but it has different names in different countries. Anyway, Salam Pax is starting to be called the Anne Frank of the Iraqi war. So far it is very interesting, I’m only 60 pages into it but I’d already recommend it. And who knows, maybe I’ll even start a discussion about it in the Worshipers of the Written Word usergroup soon.

I also read the words that it writes on the inside of my eyeballs, but that is a totally different story.
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:21 am
Pikkon
A Hadou Master And A Skilled Thief
A Hadou Master And A Skilled Thief

After ill finish my book, Ill start reading 1000 nights and night suriel... 22 books
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:26 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

There is no genre I prefer, but I tend to read a lot. I read gazillions of SF books when still in school, never really got into 'high' fantasy (luckily the local fantasy author whose books I'm test-reading isn't into this wizards-and-elves stuff). Nowadays I like to read fact books, mystery books, humorous books. And about everything else .
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:30 am
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

The last book I read was the return of the king (I wanted to read the boks before I saw the film) Anywya, I'll read almost anything but I've started on the discworld series. But I haven't had the time to read them.

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:16 am
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

I read and re-read all David Eddings books I can lay my hands on, but otherwise a lot of almost everything.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:18 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Lucky me, I have a long list of books to read for school, including works by Stephen Crane, kate Chopin, Henry James, and a long list of works by Nietzsche. "The Poverty of Aboundence" was a quick read I attempted for myself between classes, but I didnt finsh it.
LB
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:44 am
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

1-As far as I know, WotWW is for writers, and I'm just a reader. So I can't join.
2-I like Detectives, Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Cristie, etc. Also I like Charles Dickens & Jule Vern(sp?). I don't understand people who like fantasy. I read around 50 pages from LotR and hated it.
3-About Genres, mystery & humour are cool, but sometimes they don't match my mood. Scientific fantasy is quite good, but I like the ones that are old.
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:23 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The WWW is for everybody who loves to read or write. So you can join, believe me.
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:27 pm
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I like reading as much as I can!

Terry Pratchett - Have read and re-read the entire Discworld series (minus Monstrous Regiment) many times. My favorite: Hogfather.

Thich Nhat Hanh - Not for everyday reading, but inspirational nonetheless.

Margaret Atwood - My favorite author, and a great SF novelist. Try "Cat's Eye".

Lev Tolstoy - Anna Karenina is my all-time favorite novel. Dostoyevski's "Crime and Punishment" a close second.

Walden - A favorite book, though Thoreau's other stuff didn't grab me.

Nancy Kress - The "Beggars" series is very good, also check out her other works.

Douglas Adams - Enough said!

L.E. Modesitt - Yes, I know, not everyone's favorite SF author and can be too formulaic, but not bad.

Any MYST/Riven book.

Ursula K. Le Guin - I'm now reading The Left Hand of Darkness.

Various books about art and animation (2D and 3D). Last read: Harnessing 3ds max 5, The Art of Photoshop, Building a Digital Human.

Game manuals. No kidding.
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:37 pm
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

...Game manuals?...
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:16 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

With regard to game manuals - yes, I like reading game manuals - absolutely seriously. I rarely start a game without reading a manual... It's more fun than it seems first

I read a lot besides manuals, too. I can name top 5 favorite authors/books:

1. Oscar Wilde "The Picture of Dorian Gray"
2. Nietzshce "Also Sprach Zarathustra"
3. James Joyce "Ulysses"
4. Edgar Poe. His novels.
5. Marcel Proust "In Search of Lost Time"

I like classics. I like ancient greek theatre, I like late Roman novel. I adore symbolism and something that is called decadance in literature. I like Russian classics - Dostoyevki is certainly among my favorite authors.

Now I mostly read non-fiction: Law books and journals, history, religion, theology. Rigth now I have a choice of "Carriage of Goods by Sea" textbook and "Systematic Theology" just for fun

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:29 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The best game manual ever was the German translation of the TIE Fighter manual with that great story with all the homoerotic undertones. It was a true classic. I didn't know if I wanted to laugh or cry while reading it... and I just couldn't refrain from jotting down notes between lines.
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:35 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next