Henchman.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Henchman.

Who is the best, why is he best and what henchman suits best for a melee/ranger/magic user?
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:09 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

For a melee character, the best is probably Sharwyn. She can cast healing spells (provided she hasn't blown all her spells for the day on the undead... like casting sleep 5 times on some zombies), is wicked with her bow, and can pick locks pretty well.

For a spellcaster, it's a combat heavy. The dwarven mercenary, the dwarven monk, and the half-orc barbarian (my favorite) are all pretty good at keeping the enemies back while you wave your hands and make the room of bad guys ... go away. If you take a pixie familiar, you don't need a rogue... the pixie is just as good (or better) than Tomi. Plus you can always fireball a room of locked and trapped chests if you need to.

For a rogue, it's probably the combat heavies once again. Armed with a bow, you can dish out terrifying amounts of sneak attack damage with a high dexterity by shooting at enemies clustered around your little 'tank'.

For a cleric... well... if you like to use your spells to pump yourself up and wade into the thick of things, Sharwyn or Tomi are good choice (all things being equal I'd choose Sharwyn for no other purpose than she's prettier than the ugly little troll of a halfing.)

If you like to stand back and scream 'Holy! Holy! Holy am I!' and let loose with offensive spells meant to crumble the unholy before your deities unbridled wrath then once again a combat heavy is the way to go.

In short... don't rely on the henchmen spellcasters. They're really dumb with their spell AI. Best to stick with the fighters and the sneakers. Sharwyn and the elven cleric need a modification to their tactics dialogue script that reads 'don't use your magic in combat. Save it for healing me afterwards.' in particular.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:37 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen

For a spellcaster, it's a combat heavy. The dwarven mercenary, the dwarven monk, and the half-orc barbarian (my favorite) are all pretty good at keeping the enemies back while you wave your hands and make the room of bad guys ... go away.

And they are all in the blade of trades (donīt remember the name)?

Btw, when do you think that you should get one henchman?
His latest, a hit

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:55 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

They're all in the trade of blades, except Tomi the thief. He's in the temple of Tyr, hiding out.

And as for how soon... as soon as you have 200 gold is the best way. They'll really help you out early on.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 7:20 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
They're all in the trade of blades, except Tomi the thief. He's in the temple of Tyr, hiding out.
Chicken!

quote:
And as for how soon... as soon as you have 200 gold is the best way. They'll really help you out early on.
They only costs 200???????

I thaught that they would cost around 1000 - 5000!
His latest, a hit

Written by - dteowner
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 7:26 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

you are SUPPOSEd to have a henchman. if you dont by the end of the game it gets REALLY hard... so, of course they want them to be affordable right from the start.

Don't you feel better now?
Post Sun Jul 07, 2002 2:08 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
(all things being equal I'd choose Sharwyn for no other purpose than she's prettier than the ugly little troll of a halfing.)

And she's got such a nice voice too. And doesn't talk half as much as "the ugly little troll of a halfing."

The game difficulty assumes you have a henchman and therefore being alone can get pretty nasty. The first thing I did as a char was go the prison way. In order to beat that silly little walking brain, I had to rest like 30 times or so. I'm sure it could've been done much easier with a henchman. Bloated Dire Spiders are very annoying too. They drain your str so much and then you can't hurt them any more. If you have a henchman, you can have them take the brunt of the attack while you plot the spider's demise.
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:30 am
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
quote:
(all things being equal I'd choose Sharwyn for no other purpose than she's prettier than the ugly little troll of a halfing.)

And she's got such a nice voice too. And doesn't talk half as much as "the ugly little troll of a halfing."

The game difficulty assumes you have a henchman and therefore being alone can get pretty nasty. The first thing I did as a char was go the prison way. In order to beat that silly little walking brain, I had to rest like 30 times or so. I'm sure it could've been done much easier with a henchman. Bloated Dire Spiders are very annoying too. They drain your str so much and then you can't hurt them any more. If you have a henchman, you can have them take the brunt of the attack while you plot the spider's demise.
The first thin I did in the game was to try out everything, so I went to the blacklake district first (sorry Xen, couldnīt resist. .) I killed that magician that had captured the druid with a level 2 (evil) paladin.
His latest, a hit

Written by - dteowner
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:30 am
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think Tomi is great

He's great in battle, as long as you tell him to use ranged weapons. I'm at lvl 17 now, and his sneak ranged attack do up to 30+ in damage, great. He's also quite durable in melee combat, since his AC is high and he's got a nice amount of hitpoints. I sometimes lure bigger monsters to attack him when I'm low on HP and then just take out my bow and kill them from afar.

He's not as important in locks or traps anymore, though. My ranger can handle most of the traps, or just walk through them and then use some healing. Most of the chests can also be bashed open, as soon as you get some decent melee weapons and some strength.

By ch.3, I'm pretty used to Tomi hanging around, bringing "halfling death" with him, I guess I'll stick to him for the rest of the game.

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:40 am
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Do the henchman die or is he teleported somewhere if he loses all his life?
His latest, a hit

Written by - dteowner
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:07 am
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

Henchmen are teleported back to temple of Tyr when they die. You can pick them up from there. They are in full health and atleast I haven't noticed anything special happening to them even if they die multiple times.

I've encountered some areas where the stone of recall doesn't work, don't know about them. Could be that death is permanent there, never died on those areas, so I don't know.

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:35 am
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

I am sticking with my opinion that Grimgnaw is the best NPC. with his cold damage he can bash open ANY door or chest because they resist physical damage, not elemental. and on top of that he is a great fighter, he has flurry of blows, stunning attack, i could go on. he is an uber monk, and when he was level 4 i let him solo the Intellect devourer and he did .

Don't you feel better now?
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 5:49 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Who needs any stink'n henchman?

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:29 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I do. My little wizard can't fireball them all when 3 mid level fighters charge. And then I am dead. Even with greater stoneskin.

Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:08 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
I do. My little wizard can't fireball them all when 3 mid level fighters charge. And then I am dead. Even with greater stoneskin.

I like to cast haste on myself and hit the baddies with lightning bolt from afar. I'm still in Ch 1 though...so I'm certain to eventually pick up a henchman.... unless my familiar continues to clean up.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:14 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next